Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 10:52:31 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Gubernatorial/Statewide Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Poizner says that his tax cuts will increase revenues for California
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Poizner says that his tax cuts will increase revenues for California  (Read 2115 times)
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2009, 10:33:57 pm »
Ignore

California Republicans are amazing.

http://www.sacbee.com/politics/story/2185733.html?mi_rss=State%2520Politics
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:06:26 pm »
Ignore

isn't that always the argument?

this is real
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 12:09:04 am »
Ignore

I wish everyone good luck in trying to increase revenues, regardless of method, short of going "hat-in-hand" to the Feds (already been done).
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 12:10:27 am »
Ignore

my favorite idea is California legalizing drugs and then selling them to the other states

this is real
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 12:13:47 am »
Ignore

my favorite idea is California legalizing drugs and then selling them to the other states

Could work for a bit of revenue.  I like the potential lawsuit-friendly aspect.
Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 08:21:59 am »
Ignore

I wish everyone good luck in trying to increase revenues, regardless of method, short of going "hat-in-hand" to the Feds (already been done).

Does this mean every state is at the top of its own personal Laffer curve, at whatever share of tax it is currently taking?

Massachusetts just raised the sales tax from 5% to 6.25%. That should increase revenue smartly.

I think we would all agree that if not for Prop 13, California would be able to raise revenue pretty easily, if not nearly enough to fix its overall budget problems. People paying $150 in property tax a year on a $600,000 house do have the capacity to pay a little more without "going Galt." But it's an academic question.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:20:47 pm by brittain33 »Logged
Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 12:40:30 pm »
Ignore

Does this mean every state is at the top of its own personal Laffer curve, at whatever share of tax it is currently taking?

Massachusetts just raised the sales tax from 5% to 6.25%. That should increase revenue smartly.

I think we would all agree that if not for Prop 13, California would be able to raise revenue pretty easily, if not nearly enough to fix its overall budget problems. People paying $150 in property tax a year on a $600,000/year house do have the capacity to pay a little more without "going Galt." But it's an academic question.
^^^^^^^ this.

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 10:54:02 pm »
Ignore

This would be hilarious if the voters weren't so retarded.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -2.61

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 11:42:51 pm »
Ignore

I think we would all agree that if not for Prop 13, California would be able to raise revenue pretty easily, if not nearly enough to fix its overall budget problems. People paying $150 in property tax a year on a $600,000 house do have the capacity to pay a little more without "going Galt." But it's an academic question.

Lucky bastards.
Alexander Hamilton
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 12:43:26 am »
Ignore

Lucky bastards.

LUCKY BASTARDS!

people suck
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -2.61

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 08:34:27 am »
Ignore

Lucky bastards.

LUCKY BASTARDS!

Irresponsible, greedy bastards who any real "progressive" wouldn't at all be supportive of.
cannonia
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

P P
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 08:51:41 am »
Ignore

People paying $150 in property tax a year on a $600,000 house do have the capacity to pay a little more without "going Galt."

ORLY???

http://www.burbed.com/2006/04/11/600000-940-sqft-home-with-free-mud/
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 11:25:56 am »
Ignore

People paying $150 in property tax a year on a $600,000 house do have the capacity to pay a little more without "going Galt."

ORLY???

Bay area housing prices are insane. That is partially due to Prop. 13. Oh, and that was from 3 1/2  years ago.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 12:34:29 pm »
Ignore

Poizner's right on the ball, in my opinion, but I don't think he'll be able to do it.  Precise tax cuts will increase revenue, but in order for the increased revenue to be realized, spending must be held at a constant (allowing for inflation).  This was where Bush failed.  The increased revenue was spent before it was realized, to the point where forecasted surpluses were turned into deficits.  After two terms of Schwarzenegger and his fruitless campaign for fiscal-restraint, I'm not sure that California can handle such an idea.
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 10:37:15 pm »
Ignore

Stupid. Cut taxes to cut taxes and follow it with a strict and exactly identical decrease in spending, not to adhere to the Reaganist supply-side religion that has as much to do with real life as an utopian scheme.

Life is change --
How it differs from the rocks
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

- Jefferson Airplane, "Crown of Creation"

The right to die in Iraq was a right not previously possessed by Americans for twelve long years.  Bush rectified that.
cannonia
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

P P
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 06:30:53 am »
Ignore

Stupid. Cut taxes to cut taxes and follow it with a strict and exactly identical decrease in spending, not to adhere to the Reaganist supply-side religion that has as much to do with real life as an utopian scheme.

The California constitution requires a balanced budget, so in theory any tax cut would be paired with a spending cut.  In reality, spending has far outpaced tax revenues, in adherence with the Democrats' tax-and-spend religion.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 06:18:23 pm »
Ignore

The California constitution requires a balanced budget, so in theory any tax cut would be paired with a spending cut.  In reality, spending has far outpaced tax revenues, in adherence with the Democrats' tax-and-spend religion.

What?

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 06:24:44 pm »
Ignore

What?

You are young and may not fully understand these grave matters. When something is seriously wrong, it is always and entirely the other lot's fault. With time it will come to you.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 04:02:27 am »
Ignore

ORLY???

What is your argument? Someone who would buy that house today would have to pay the full property taxes on that valuation. The problem lies with those who bought houses for cheap 20-30 years ago and are just sitting on their overpriced properties without having to pay their fair share of property taxes. This of course leads to an inflation in house prices since people don't have to pay higher taxes when the value of their home goes up and thus they face no pressure to sell their house when prices go up. If property taxes went up with property valuations, many would be forced to sell their house which would in effect "correct" the inflation in house prices we saw in California.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 04:07:27 am by sbane »Logged
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 01:24:02 am »
Ignore

tax marijuana.  if not then stop enforcing all drug laws and save a few billion off the top that way.

there's no ghosts in the graveyard, that's not where they live
they live in between a, 'what is' and 'what if?'
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout