Who are the Republicans who won't vote for Bush?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:54:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Who are the Republicans who won't vote for Bush?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Who are the Republicans who won't vote for Bush?  (Read 15735 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2004, 12:56:51 PM »

I'm a Republican who won't vote for Bush
That's because you're not yet 18, correct?

Yeah Smiley
CollectiveInterest

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2004, 03:21:50 PM »

http://badnarik.org/newsfromthetrail.php?p=1478
kfseattle
Rookie

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2004, 04:16:57 PM »

It's been a long time since I've posted in this forum, but I always use this site to look up election info, and thought I could share something here.
I spent the last three months canvassing 5 days a week neighborhoods in and around Seattle, Washington for the DNC.  I talked to thousands of people about politics: democrats, republicans, undecideds.
Every day, I would meet a republican or two who told me that they weren't supporting Bush this year...sometimes they'd say they were supporting Kerry.
These republicans tended to have the following characteristics: 
1.  They were middle-aged
2. They tended to be upper middle class
3. Their biggest concerns were the erosion of America's image around the world and the administration's lack of fiscal discipline.

Younger republicans, esp. those with young children, seemed very supportive of Bush.   Older, very wealthy republicans were the same way.  (my judge of wealth was simply their home and automobiles).  But the middle aged group, perhaps those without kids or with grown up kids, seemed more likely to be critical. 
badnarikin04

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2004, 05:07:56 PM »

WOOO!

Barr's voting Libertarian!

I guess he knows a true Republican when he sees one!
Prospero
Rookie

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2004, 02:47:33 PM »

Ron Reagan, Jr.  I'm not sure if he'll vote for Kerry.  Every time I see him on TV I am impressed. 

Although I'm not sure where I stand on stem-cell research, I admired him for speaking at the Democratic convention.  Most people in the political class wouldn't have the guts to do something so independently minded.  And the other night on MSNBC he mentioned the April Glaspie diplomatic debacle as a prelude to the 1991 Iraq war, the first person I've ever seen on any pundit show mention this.  Larry Kudlow was shocked and indignant, but too bad. 

Then again, we shouldn't be surprised.  He comes from good stock.  Even his mannerisms are similar to his Dad.  He's certainly more impressive then the son of his father's vice-president.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2004, 12:39:24 AM »

Oh good, we have a new Democratic operative playing as a Republican.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2004, 08:08:05 AM »

"new"?
Prospero
Rookie

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2004, 08:33:34 AM »

Actually, no.  I've read some of your posts and I agree with just about all of them, particularly in regards to secession and immigration.  I disagree with the Leftist foreign policy advocated by Bush and the neocons.  Someday the Right will wake up.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2004, 08:42:04 AM »

Ron Reagan, Jr.  I'm not sure if he'll vote for Kerry.  Every time I see him on TV I am impressed. 

Although I'm not sure where I stand on stem-cell research, I admired him for speaking at the Democratic convention.  Most people in the political class wouldn't have the guts to do something so independently minded.  And the other night on MSNBC he mentioned the April Glaspie diplomatic debacle as a prelude to the 1991 Iraq war, the first person I've ever seen on any pundit show mention this.  Larry Kudlow was shocked and indignant, but too bad. 

Then again, we shouldn't be surprised.  He comes from good stock.  Even his mannerisms are similar to his Dad.  He's certainly more impressive then the son of his father's vice-president.

Ron Reagan Jr. is not and never has been a Republican.  He has been a Democrat, leftist since his days doing pirouette's for the Joffrey.
Prospero
Rookie

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2004, 08:48:12 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ron Reagan Jr. is not and never has been a Republican.  He has been a Democrat, leftist since his days doing pirouette's for the Joffrey.
He is?  Hmm.  That's a shame.  Well, his father started out as a Democrat.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2004, 09:45:08 AM »

Actually, no.  I've read some of your posts and I agree with just about all of them, particularly in regards to secession and immigration.  I disagree with the Leftist foreign policy advocated by Bush and the neocons.  Someday the Right will wake up.
Oh my god - have they been cloning Opebo!?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2004, 03:16:02 PM »

Do you think Kerry will really solve Iraq when he can't even find a position to settle on.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2004, 04:40:01 PM »

In TN district 5, the Republican challenger to Rep. Jim Cooper(D) had a letter to the editor in a local paper saying he wouldn't vote for Bush. He thinks Bush has screwed uup just about everything about Iraq and the budget. He has no chance of even doing well against Cooper, but still the letter caught media attention.
Prospero
Rookie

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2004, 04:53:59 PM »

Do you think Kerry will really solve Iraq when he can't even find a position to settle on.
I don't know if anyone can make the situation in Iraq better, let alone solve it.  But our imperfect system has given us a choice between these two individuals, from among which I want Kerry.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2004, 06:06:59 PM »

I don't know if anyone can make the situation in Iraq better, let alone solve it.  But our imperfect system has given us a choice between these two individuals, from among which I want Kerry.

I hope you're over 26! Or get in shape.
Ats
Rookie

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2004, 07:47:34 PM »

Ron Paul?
Prospero
Rookie

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2004, 02:32:41 PM »

Here's another one: Jude Wanniski, one of the most important intellectual architects of supply side economics and an advisor to Reagan.  He explains why at his website.

http://www.wanniski.com/
Prospero
Rookie

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2004, 02:46:20 PM »

I hope you're over 26! Or get in shape.

A draft will only come into being if we continue our invasions of Middle Eastern countries.  And if that happens, I will refuse to go, regardless of who is president.
khirkhib

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2004, 04:07:55 AM »

Here are a bunch of Republicans voting for Kerry.
I dare you to watch some of these.
I think they are very well done.

http://www.errolmorris.com/html/election04/election04_main.html
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2004, 10:41:20 PM »

Lincoln Chafee said he wouldn't vote for Bush. Bob Barr hinted at it.

Dick Lugar? Doug Bereuter? Chuck Hagel? John McCain? Bill Janklow? Tom Campbell? Gary Johnson? John Eisenhower?

Janklow isn't eligible to vote.  I'm sure he'd vote for Bush if he could Smiley.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2004, 11:54:52 AM »

I didn't predict this one: Bob Smith. Former Republican US Senator from the Granite State. See http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/102904_smith_letter.pdf
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2004, 02:38:44 PM »

good question.  don't know...

On the one hand, he's been a solidly conservative republican committed to smaller government.  (but then, that's exactly what might make him vote for some rightist candidate)  Here's an exerpt from one of his press releases:

"Ultimately, debt is slavery. Every dollar the federal government borrows makes us less secure as a nation, by making America beholden to interests outside our borders. So when you hear a politician saying America will do “whatever it takes” to fight terrorism or rebuild Iraq or end poverty or provide health care for all, what they really mean is they are willing to sink America even deeper into debt. We’re told that foreign wars and expanded entitlements will somehow make America more secure, but insolvency is hardly the foundation for security. Only when we stop trying to remake the world in our image, and reject the entitlement state at home, will we begin to create a more secure America that is not a financial slave to foreign creditors. "

Hard to imagine how that squares with the current GOP big spenders.  So, will Ron Paul be voting for George Bush?
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2004, 05:10:56 PM »

I didn't predict this one: Bob Smith. Former Republican US Senator from the Granite State. See http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/102904_smith_letter.pdf

He also got crushed in a PRIMARY election in 2002 and briefly ran for President as an independent.  No effect from this.
zachman

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2004, 05:20:58 PM »

Hey, Bob Smith may be a critical vote if Florida is close.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies