TIPP: Bush +3 and +4
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:26:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  TIPP: Bush +3 and +4
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TIPP: Bush +3 and +4  (Read 584 times)
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2004, 02:25:06 PM »

www.tipponline.com

It's on RCP as well. Another poll for the mix.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 02:31:01 PM »

Is this post-debate?

I'd need partisan weighting. If Vorlon approves of this, I can say one thing: the fat lady hasn't sung yet, but she's practicing her scales.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 02:38:39 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2004, 03:09:24 PM by The Vorlon »

Is this post-debate?

I'd need partisan weighting. If Vorlon approves of this, I can say one thing: the fat lady hasn't sung yet, but she's practicing her scales.

TIPP does a 4 day roll of about 300 per night.  Something on the order of 5% or so of these interviews would be post 3rd debate. - This firm does NOT poll on Friday nights BTW, so they will not have a 100% post debate sample till Wednesday morning.

TIPP is a very heavily stratified poll and hence is quite stable. - Their tracking poll did very well in 2000.

From the 46 / 42 lead with 12% undecided, you can obviously tell that this firm, similar to Fox/OD does not push the leaners too hard Smiley

They start hitting folks a bit harder as the actual election approaches.

Their LV model leans a bit more to past voting history than current excitement levels.

This is neither right or wrong, rather a choice - you can argue it either way Smiley

TIPP does not impose a hard weight by party ID, they do however "quota call" so that the sample composition matches census estimates based on 48 demographic "cells" as defined by the census.

In this respect they are quite similar to ABC/WAPO polling.

300 a night is a smallish sample and we can expect a point or so of noise most days.

This is a poll I personally like, but as I always say never trust any one poll all by it's self - even a good one.

One poll is... well.... one poll Smiley

Polls..

Ignore them one by one...

Trust them by the dozen Smiley
Whacker77

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 02:43:53 PM »

Well, I was just about to ask Vorlon what he thought of the TIPP poll.  I followed the 2000 election closely, but not like this year.  I find all of these tracking polls interesting, but painful to follow.  The ups and downs are too much.

Vorlon, what's your impression of Battleground?  They seem to have done well in 1992 and 1996, but missed the DUI story in the last days of 2000.  What do you know about the techniques and tendencies?
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 02:59:17 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2004, 03:06:43 PM by The Vorlon »

Well, I was just about to ask Vorlon what he thought of the TIPP poll.  I followed the 2000 election closely, but not like this year.  I find all of these tracking polls interesting, but painful to follow.  The ups and downs are too much.

Vorlon, what's your impression of Battleground?  They seem to have done well in 1992 and 1996, but missed the DUI story in the last days of 2000.  What do you know about the techniques and tendencies?

Battleground is a very well respected poll.

Both principles Ed Goaes (R) and Celinda Lake (D) are very well respected individually as well.

My "opinion" on Goaes is that he is a bit too aggresive at building assumptions into his polls, as per Zogby, but that being said, he is a very very deeply respected pollster, and is regarded as being very good.

NAPOR, the professional Association of pollsters (sorry - public opinion researchers) has awarded Goaes their "Pollster of the Year" award three times - the most of any pollster in history

Celinda Lake, despite the big (D) by here name is a very "by the book" pollsters (when on her own - her firm will OTOH, cooks the books now and then). 

Her methodology is solid, dull, boring, and bland - all good things when polling IMHO.

Despite getting a bit of a bad sample the last weekend in 2000, this poll and this duo have a very solid record and reputation.

This is one of the polls I will be watching myself very closely. 

Their likely voter screening is very good, and I think Goaes and Lake are actually a good pair in the sense that they have rather different approaches to things and the forced merging of the two should bring some new ideas to the table.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies