Are people maturing later now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:30:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are people maturing later now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Are people maturing later now?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Are people maturing later now?  (Read 2573 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:25:04 AM »

This sounds like a Naso rant, but it's really in reverse. But even I can remember almost 10 years ago when it was really odd to have someone over 30 still into the "scene" and it was joked that 30+ people were the old folks home. Now it's not uncommon at all. I was at a show about a month ago where some of the guys from the first band were joking around about how it was the bassist's birthday...and he had been over 18 for more than half his life now. He had turned 36. An age survey on another forum showed we had more >30 than <20 posters too. Then there's the latest trend of all bands reuniting when they're in their mid-30s, it seems like all the bands I've been stoked about seeing lately were my favorite bands in high school I was sure I'd never see because they broke up. It's also not too uncommon to see people who are clearly over 30 at trend youth-orientated clubs and bars, and they don't really act any more mature than college kids. Some of my co-workers remind me of the same thing. I can remember when my parents were that age, not very well granted, but they were about 31-32 when I was in Kindergarten and 1st grade, and they didn't hold keg parties or anything of the sort like some people that age I've seen do.

Please note I consider this a positive development.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:30:09 AM »

When I was your age, we called those people "losers."  I don't think much has changed in the intervening period.

I'm glad, though, that you have something to look forward to.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:34:04 AM »

You make it sound like that was a long time ago. That would also classify as "now", as referring to current era basically.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:37:51 AM »

You make it sound like that was a long time ago. That would also classify as "now", as referring to current era basically.

That was the point, Captain Obvious.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 01:39:08 AM »

It certainly seems that way doesn't it? I'm almost 23 and I still feel like a kid in some ways. I still wear band shirts too.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 01:51:43 AM »

Yes.  Most of the students I see around me at CMU are immature idiots.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 03:55:12 AM »

Yes but I think it's this way for a couple reasons.

Technological advances make life easier and more convenient. There are less responsibilities now. And the heavily established marketing tactics of major corporations basically treat us like children, over time this can have a noticeable effect on people. I honestly believe that it's due to advertising and marketing tactics, for the most part, that we seem to be more mentally immature. Keeping people infantilized is a good way of controlling them.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 05:09:44 AM »

What Sam said.

Though I note alot of what BRTD and Eraserhead are referring to are just symbols - "youth clubs/bars" taken over by the over-30s aren't really "youth clubs/bars" are they? And T-shirts, who cares?

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 05:32:10 AM »

What Sam said.

Though I note alot of what BRTD and Eraserhead are referring to are just symbols - "youth clubs/bars" taken over by the over-30s aren't really "youth clubs/bars" are they? And T-shirts, who cares?

True but the fact that we still think these symbols hold some kind of significance probably shows a lack of maturity on our parts in itself.

Heavy.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 05:33:07 AM »

What Sam said.

True but the fact that we still think these symbols hold some kind of significance probably shows a lack of maturity on our parts in itself.

Heavy.

Ah yes, good point.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 05:39:09 AM »

Eh people never mature. At least no one I know. Fifty-year-olds still fight like they were in the sandbox, mothers and fathers still act like silly teens in their lovelife. Elders still like to have a good time now and then. I've come to realise that people never grow up.

Take this site for example, can anyone really tell any difference in maturity from PiT, Afleitch, Badger, and Sate Rights, who all belong to very different age groups.

The reason poeple choose to settle down later in life and get a family nowadays has more to do with us living longer and being able to concieve later than maturity.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 06:31:28 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2009, 06:33:28 AM by dead0man »

I've never been the oldest dude at a NOFX show....although I may have been the oldest dude at my second Bloodhound Gang show.  It was right after The Bad Touch hit big (the Discovery Channel song).

It certainly seems that way doesn't it? I'm almost 23 and I still feel like a kid in some ways. I still wear band shirts too.
I'm 36 and still wear band shirts.  I still play video games and drink cheap beer too.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 06:48:01 AM »

I feel this is more a reflection of your social group than of society as a whole.  It should be fairly obvious that your circles are not at all representative of the rest of our society.

That noted, I'd say yes.  It's pitiful to see the way many adults act.  As has been said, I think this is largely due to the ease of things that had previously taken much more to attain.  Hardship and struggle builds discipline and perspective, adding to maturity.  Most people in this country coast and make no real use of the advantages their parents have worked to give them.  This applies across all income levels.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 08:15:12 AM »

Yes.  Most of the students I see around me at CMU are immature idiots.

You go to Carnegie Mellon?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 08:17:17 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2009, 08:22:25 AM by Grumpy Gramps »

Yes, but it's the parents fault.  Kids today (boys especially) are pussies.

Don't play with toy guns, don't kiss Suzie on the cheek, no fights on the playground, if somoene bumps into Johnny he is being bullied.

And parents take care of their kids financially too long.

My godson is 16 and he's a wimp.....Hell i think his momma whacks his peepee for him...I mean c'mon parents are not letting kids grow up, period.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 08:31:57 AM »

I voted no, at least in the context of the given example.

Cohorts that form musical tastes will age together, so that the styles that once seemed so young age with those who got those style going in the first place. In 1980 I couldn't imagine anyone over 30 at a Ramones concert, yet 10 years later punk and new wave had plenty of older attendees. They got older with the music they first produced. We just celebrated the 40th anniversary of Woodstock, and fans of classic rock from that era have aged with the music. Why shouldn't scene music fans stay fans of that genre as they age?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 09:42:59 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2009, 09:47:27 AM by Benwah »

I voted no, at least in the context of the given example.

Cohorts that form musical tastes will age together, so that the styles that once seemed so young age with those who got those style going in the first place. In 1980 I couldn't imagine anyone over 30 at a Ramones concert, yet 10 years later punk and new wave had plenty of older attendees. They got older with the music they first produced. We just celebrated the 40th anniversary of Woodstock, and fans of classic rock from that era have aged with the music. Why shouldn't scene music fans stay fans of that genre as they age?

Partly disagreed for this contextual example. For example in France there is a big trend throughout people in their 30s who are still fond of the songs of their childhood, which may be less common, and they enjoy it in bars more or less dedicated to it, they party around it, and so forth... And that's not only around music, there's all a culture of the childhood in this generation they want to buy again the sweeties of their childhood, they love soft toys, and I've also seen, and heard about, several ones who kept their "wubby" (hope the translation is good) with them to sleep, that old thing they had in their childhood to sleep.

I also think it could have a lot to do with what Marokai spoke about, though I wouldn't give the most part to marketing, I'll come with it for a part, yes, technological advancement, yes, and also, a miss of big ideals, big perspectives, and nothing that pushes to find new ones to reach.

Also, I'd add that it especially applies to 30-40 people. Those of my age 20-30 are less in this than the olders I find, and when it comes to still younger, I'd say still less, in fact it seems that today, adults try to make children being mature very fast, and no matter it is something done consciously or unconsciously that's what happens. We can see it with the children of this 30-40 people precisely. Children are compensating the infantilization of their parents? Parents see their children too much as adults because of a miss they feel in them about it?

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 10:02:09 AM »

This is almost entirely due to neoliberalism.  In our parents day, it was not unusual to transition VERY rapidly from non-earning teen or 20 year old to high-earning working adult. 

Nowadays it is nearly universal to hover in poverty or near poverty for a decade or two after graduation - and of course a huge percentage remain there their whole lives.  It is simply the fate that has been stipulated for the current generation of workers by their owners.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 10:02:44 AM »

I'm 36 and still wear band shirts.  I still play video games and drink cheap beer too.

Really? Maybe we should hang out some time then.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 10:47:36 AM »

Don't play with toy guns, don't kiss Suzie on the cheek, no fights on the playground, if somoene bumps into Johnny he is being bullied.

My godson is 16 and he's a wimp.....Hell i think his momma whacks his peepee for him...I mean c'mon parents are not letting kids grow up, period.

I agree. I'm 21 years old and my mother told me that I couldn't drive 4 hours to Washington DC this weekend because I may die, and if I did go and she found out, she'd cut off my funds and take my car away from me. I'm not the most mature person in the world, but I hate it when parents put these kind of restraints on their adult kids.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 10:57:21 AM »

I agree. I'm 21 years old and my mother told me that I couldn't drive 4 hours to Washington DC this weekend because I may die, and if I did go and she found out, she'd cut off my funds and take my car away from me. I'm not the most mature person in the world, but I hate it when parents put these kind of restraints on their adult kids.

Well, my dad followed the example of his parents, who put him on a train for a little ride at 18.....to Paris Island.....LOL.  Now I didnt not go to Paris Island, but get the phuck out (nicely)and live your life was pretty much their attitude.....it worked fine.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 12:12:09 PM »

Central Michigan, I believe.

I would've bet money that this was a Naso thread when I first saw the title.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 02:13:27 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2009, 02:17:54 PM by It Is Well Past The Point Of Going Home »

I do remember as a kid that the expectations for olds (relative to me at the time) was that once you graduated college you'd start a career and a family and completely leave the college lifestyle behind. Now it seems like people aren't bothering with that stuff until they're out of college for a decade. There's something to be thankful for.

Think of The Hangover. Obviously it's just a movie, but there are lots of people the age of the characters in that movie that actually do act that way.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 02:48:34 PM »

Well I think that what happened is that people who grew up attached to underground scenes stayed attached to them. It's not like you turn 25 & automatically start listening to musak'd pop. There are hardcore kids & headbangers who came of age in the 80s, & they still identify strongly with the youth-driven subcultures associated therewith, even though they are in their 40s now.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 04:11:28 PM »

... once you graduated college you'd start a career and a family and completely leave the college lifestyle behind. Now it seems like people aren't bothering with that stuff until they're out of college for a decade.

They would virtually all do that if they had a choice, but they don't.  High earning jobs are much more scarce nowadays than they were in your grand parents day.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies