If the Parties had never flipped, what politicians would have stayed behind?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:09:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  If the Parties had never flipped, what politicians would have stayed behind?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If the Parties had never flipped, what politicians would have stayed behind?  (Read 1578 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2009, 11:25:46 PM »

That's a little vague, but I couldn't really think of anything else to compress into the space allotted for the title that retained the meaning I really wanted. To rephrase it: if the Republican Party were still identified as the generally 'left' Party of the American political spectrum, and the Democrats likewise on the 'right', and had never re-aligned ideologically, what politicians either living today or within recent historical memory would have stayed in the Party they were really in?

There are a few obvious answers - Eisenhower and Clinton, the great centrists of our time, would likely as not been just at home in their respective Parties had they retained their historical connotations as they were in our own timeline. Certainly Zell Miller would have preferred the Democrat of old, and the Maine twins would likely have belonged to whatever DLC equivalent a left-Republican Party would have.

What others are there?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 11:43:55 PM »

I reject the notion that the parties "flipped."

The Republican Party was always economically conservative and pro-business. The Democratic Party was always a big tent.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 11:45:34 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2009, 11:47:36 PM by Einzige »

The Republican Party was always economically conservative and pro-business. The Democratic Party was always a big tent.

What matters is how they are perceived. In many ways, on objective policy, Bill Clinton was to the right of George H.W. Bush; that didn't keep him from being understood in the popular consciousness as an agent of left-ish change in 1992.

Moreover, it is certainly clear in one sense that they've flipped: in their concrete electoral coalitions. Obama won every McKinley state except North Dakota, West Virginia, and Tennessee; and McCain took every Bryan state save Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Washington, and Nevada.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 11:49:48 PM »

What matters is how they are perceived. In many ways, on objective policy, Bill Clinton was to the right of George H.W. Bush; that didn't keep him from being understood in the popular consciousness as an agent of left-ish change in 1992.

Moreover, it is certainly clear in one sense that they've flipped: in their concrete electoral coalitions. Obama won every McKinley state except North Dakota, West Virginia, and Tennessee; and McCain took every Bryan state save Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Washington, and Nevada.

Ah, I understand what you're saying.

Well, I think Larry McDonald of Georgia would have remained a Democrat. He was an ultraconservative Democratic congressman and a leader in the John Birch Society.

The Rockefellers would have remained powerful in the GOP.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:18:19 PM »

If the Republicans were percieved as the leftist party today, I can see Governor Jim Douglas staying with the Republicans.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 01:20:56 PM »

The Kennedy's would have, because they were really a creation of the urban Democratic machines of the late 1800s. In fact the Irish first were drawn to the Democrats because they were mostly farmers back in Ireland and they related to the agrarian Democrats.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies