What car should I get?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:56:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What car should I get?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: What car should I get?  (Read 6132 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2009, 01:21:15 AM »

After getting rear ended last week and having my car totaled in the process I need to get a new car.  With the $$ I am getting from my insurance company + what I am willing to lay out I have a budget between $12,000-$15,000.  I have thought about an 04-06 Maxima or something along those lines.  Just wanted to see everyones thoughts on that or any other thoughts or ideas you might have.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:27:10 AM »

Take a Mazda 3 for a test drive.  Best small car ever made.  If you have to haul more than 1 large adult around though, it might not be for you.  (regular adults fit fine in the back)  Maximas are good cars, but I'd never own one as I hate Nissan.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 01:30:11 AM »

Get a Chevy Silverado with souped up tires and then move to Kentucky and insist on speaking in a hybrid Canadian-New York accent.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 06:16:36 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2009, 06:18:14 AM by opebo »

Just get something like a 1992-1993 Lincoln Town Car for around $3,000-4,000 and pocket the remaining 9-10 thousand.  It'll be a better car than anything new, and you can enjoy some nice holidays on the money.  (also the Mercury Grand Marquis is the same car, also excellent).

If you're one of those unreasonables who worries a lot about fuel economy, just buy an early 1990s Buick, like a Park Avenue or a Lesabre - they get like 28-29 mpg on the highway, and a nice low-mileage one should run you about $4,000.  However it should be noted that they are not a real car as they are front wheel drive.

An old Lincoln or Mercury Grand Marquis, or a Park Avenue/Lesabre will all be so reliable and durable that you shouldn't have to get another car for 5-10 years, and will probably average only around $500/year in repairs.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 07:40:17 AM »

Get one that can get you where you need to go in NY winters and is easy on gas........I love my 2004 Liberty but it's a gas hog...great vehicle other than that.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 07:43:57 AM »

Don't spend that much on a car. Spend about half that much and get a gently used gas effecient Japanese car. Better to have some cash available.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 08:52:23 AM »

Don't spend that much on a car. Spend about half that much and get a gently used gas effecient Japanese car. Better to have some cash available.

Or spend about 1/4 as much and have a 25 mpg safe full sized American car (after all the difference between 35 mpg and 25 mpg isn't much).

Here's just about the ideal car for any adult person.

The $2,500 lightly used full sized, V-8, comfortable, durable American made sedan.  They still exist, though not for much longer.  Get ready to say good bye and get used to tinny, buzzy, front wheel drive crap forever more. 

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 08:54:21 AM »

After getting rear ended last week and having my car totaled in the process I need to get a new car.  With the $$ I am getting from my insurance company + what I am willing to lay out I have a budget between $12,000-$15,000.  I have thought about an 04-06 Maxima or something along those lines.  Just wanted to see everyones thoughts on that or any other thoughts or ideas you might have.

Smash,

I have owned three Nissans in my life.  And I have never been disappointed.  Still driving my 96 Max. 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 09:54:38 AM »

I recommend something with stability assist, helps a lot in the snow (although my new car only had one snowstorm).  I think my car (09 Accord) might be a little above that price range though, but you have the extra money its completely worth it.  Its a really sturdy car and rides smooth
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 11:19:26 AM »

I recommend something with stability assist, helps a lot in the snow (although my new car only had one snowstorm).  I think my car (09 Accord) might be a little above that price range though, but you have the extra money its completely worth it.  Its a really sturdy car and rides smooth

Do you have the 4 cyl or V6 accord?

Either way, DWTL is right for once...get a Honda Accord...new or used...start with 2003 or newer...as the engines got a bit more powerful then.

I have a pretty loaded 03 accord and that thing never failed me in upstate ny snow.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »

If I didn't get laid off earlier in the year its something I would have considered, but since I'm only working part time right now and collecting unemployment I don't want a car loan and want to leave enough in my savings where I'm still comfortable if I come up with some unexpected expenses and remain without a full time job for awhile longer.  I have however also thought about an Accord that is a few years ago as well as Deadman's suggestion about a Mazda 3
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 01:41:39 PM »

Get a Mercedes. Once you do, you'll never want to own anything else. Japanese cars just don't compare.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 02:02:44 PM »

Anybody who prefers rear wheel drive obviously doesn't come from somewhere that gets much in the way of snow.

But I suppose driving on snow just takes talent Smiley

I drove a little 5 speed Saturn 4 banger through two winters... it's always good when your tires lock up and you can't get the clutch in time and the car dies while you're sliding towards oncoming traffic.

Now I drive a Grand Prix... and it handles great on the snow.  In fact I drove about 50mph down a road that had 5 inches of fresh snow on it.  Aside from the occasional pulls to the left or right, it handled great.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 02:04:03 PM »

Get a Mercedes. Once you do, you'll never want to own anything else. Japanese cars just don't compare.
facepalm
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 02:06:56 PM »

Sure, as long as you pay the difference between my $12,000-$15,000 budget & the cost of the Mercedes....
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 02:11:59 PM »

Sure, as long as you pay the difference between my $12,000-$15,000 budget & the cost of the Mercedes....

You can get a nice 02 C class in that price range. I'd take that German engineering over Japanese mass produced crap any day!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 03:22:57 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2009, 03:30:05 PM by opebo »

Anybody who prefers rear wheel drive obviously doesn't come from somewhere that gets much in the way of snow.

Yeah its easier for people who don't know how to drive to use a front wheel drive car in the snow, but in practice my big old rear-wheel drive cars of yesteryear were probably as good as your ultra-light Saturn.  I used to drive an enormous, heavy 1973 Cadillac with a huge peice of concrete in the trunk and studded snow tires.. it essentially never spun or slipped at all, and could plow through heavy snow.

However the non-lightweight Grand Prix would make a reasonable snow car, its true.

My Cadillac looked like this - and let me tell you, its been downhill every since for my motoring:

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 03:24:21 PM »

You can get a nice 02 C class in that price range. I'd take that German engineering over Japanese mass produced crap any day!

Yeah, but the problem is every time you go to the shop it will cost you $900.  Of course every time you go to the shop with a Japanese car it'll be like $300.. and in an old GM car, maybe $100.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 03:47:06 PM »

Yeah its easier for people who don't know how to drive to use a front wheel drive car in the snow, but in practice my big old rear-wheel drive cars of yesteryear were probably as good as your ultra-light Saturn.  I used to drive an enormous, heavy 1973 Cadillac with a huge peice of concrete in the trunk and studded snow tires.. it essentially never spun or slipped at all, and could plow through heavy snow.

However the non-lightweight Grand Prix would make a reasonable snow car, its true.

My Cadillac looked like this - and let me tell you, its been downhill every since for my motoring:

Yeah, I like my car... it's comfortable, big enough to haul a lot of stuff, and gets relatively good gas mileage.

My friend drove a early or mid '90s model Grand Marquis... and that thing was nice.  It had leather seats, a very roomy back seat, and a trunk that you could fit at least a few bodies in Smiley

Plus despite being over 10 years old, it drove like a charm.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 03:49:29 PM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 04:50:01 PM »

My friend drove a early or mid '90s model Grand Marquis... and that thing was nice.  It had leather seats, a very roomy back seat, and a trunk that you could fit at least a few bodies in Smiley

Yeah, they're great, and very durable.

But your Grand Prix is nice too.  Just remember one thing - the 3.8 liter V6, which used to be one of the most durable and reliable motors made, was ruined after about 1995 by the addition of a plastic intake manifold - it will eventually melt, causing cooling fluid to be sucked into your engine oil and destroying your motor.  Check out www.carsurvey.org to learn more about your car.

I'm not sure there's any way to monitor this, but its the huge Achilles heel of otherwise good GM cars (and all caused by an attempt to implement 'new technology').
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 05:53:51 PM »

Yeah, they're great, and very durable.

But your Grand Prix is nice too.  Just remember one thing - the 3.8 liter V6, which used to be one of the most durable and reliable motors made, was ruined after about 1995 by the addition of a plastic intake manifold - it will eventually melt, causing cooling fluid to be sucked into your engine oil and destroying your motor.  Check out www.carsurvey.org to learn more about your car.

I'm not sure there's any way to monitor this, but its the huge Achilles heel of otherwise good GM cars (and all caused by an attempt to implement 'new technology').

Already happened... but I was lucky enough that the coolant was leaking out and onto the ground rather than into the engine. 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 10:45:58 PM »

Some that I am thinking about

2005 Audi A4 1.8 T Quattro $14,798  70,000 miles

2006 Nissan Maxima SE $14,531  43,000 miles

2005 Nissan Maxima SE $13,450  50,000 miles

2008 Mazda 3 S Sport $13,995 33,212 miles

2006 Honda Accord EX $13,995  37,500 miles
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 10:49:21 PM »

Get the Audi
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 11:14:23 PM »

The Audi would be the most fun and work the best in the snow but is the most likely to have problems, the Accord would last the longest/hold it's value the longest but be the least fun of all.  The 3 would be cheapest over the long haul.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies