BBC investigation reveals new Florida voting scandal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:18:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  BBC investigation reveals new Florida voting scandal
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BBC investigation reveals new Florida voting scandal  (Read 7166 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2004, 02:07:39 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/3956129.stm

By Greg Palast.

A secret document obtained from inside Bush campaign headquarters in Florida suggests a plan - possibly in violation of US law - to disrupt voting in the state's African-American voting districts, a BBC Newsnight investigation reveals. It lists 1,886 names and addresses of voters in predominantly black and traditionally Democrat areas of Jacksonville, Florida. An elections supervisor in Tallahassee, when shown the list, told Newsnight: "The only possible reason why they would keep such a thing is to challenge voters on election day."
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 02:10:06 PM »

Scandal? SCANDAL?! What's wrong with challenging fradulent voters?!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 02:26:02 PM »

Ah, that's called a "steet list" that lists registered voters, which is a public document.  It might have been pulled out to target mailings for Black voters.

Because I have a Jewish sounding name, I get calls and mail from political groups targeting me as such.  Because I live in a Black neighborhood, I get mailings from campaigns that target me as a Black voter.  I do not list race on my registration card and cannot list religion on the form.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 02:42:44 PM »

How many military absentee ballots will the Democrats challange in Florida, I wonder?
shankbear

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 04:23:03 PM »

Who really gives a rat's rectum about a BBC investigation.  They are no more credible than The Guardian.  It is funny how many outsiders are trying to affect the outcome of OUR election.  Their little country would cry buckets if say, The Houston Chronicle snooped around during their process.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 05:33:54 PM »

Our 'little' country dwarves California population wise mate. And the BBC? They have their faults, but as the oldest broadcaster in the world with an award winning, globally trusted and entrenched news team...how...how DARE they comment on an American election. Come on get real. Whether you like it or not- the world cares.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 05:36:00 PM »

The world should not care about our elections. And we need to get out of the UN.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 05:40:19 PM »

The world should not care about our elections. And we need to get out of the UN.

The world should care about our elections for the same reason that we care about the world's elections. We are a non-isolationist country. Other countries are profoundly affected by our election. As journalists, if they find a scandal, it is their duty to investigate it, not just disregard it. Be realistic.
visioncat
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 05:41:54 PM »

Who really gives a rat's rectum about a BBC investigation.  They are no more credible than The Guardian.  It is funny how many outsiders are trying to affect the outcome of OUR election.  Their little country would cry buckets if say, The Houston Chronicle snooped around during their process.

The Houston Chronicle is hardly a bastian of unbiased, quality journalism, and yes, I read it online, so I know what I'm talking about. Do you read the BBC or Guardian online?

No tears would be wasted if the HC cared to delve into our electoral processes, but I wonder... would the HC news desk be able to find the UK on a map? I'm sorry, I really don't like to snipe, but your comment was incredible. Sigh.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 05:42:30 PM »

They didn't find a scandal. They found a list of voters (gasp!).

I don't care about the world's elections.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 05:45:26 PM »

Yes we know Philip, anyone north of Virginia and west of El Paso also seems to be off your 'care' radar.
khirkhib

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 05:58:03 PM »

And south of Orlando.  And a good 40% of the population that lives with-in the boundries.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 05:59:42 PM »

I'm basically a northerner. I live at the very tip of Virginia.
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 09:55:03 PM »

This is getting really old.
shankbear

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 10:28:30 PM »

The great almighty BBC has hired Michael Moore the moron to do coverage of election night.  Enough said.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2004, 07:20:58 AM »

I'm assuming this is in Duval County.

There are 213,514 African-Americans in Jacksonville, according to the 2000 census. There are only 1,186 names on the list. If you're going to intimidate voters why less than 0.5% of the population?
The GOP statement that this is for fundraising or verifying addresses does hold water.

The election supervisor is a Democrat- which is something against this story.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2004, 01:31:38 PM »

By Greg Palast.
An elections supervisor in Tallahassee
In 2000, Palast went around pretending to be Columbo - presumably this sort of shtick goes over with with his British audience.  The BBC should be able to hire their own reporters, and not depend on Americans who are promoting their own agenda.

The election supervisor is the county election supervisor in Leon County, where Tallahassee is located.  In Florida, election supervisors are elected, Sancho is a Democrat.  Palast has used him in the past for quotes.  It usually goes like this.

Against all laws

Palast: "What do you think about the Republican plan to make the sun rise in the West."   Sancho: "Well if its true, it would certainly violate all the laws of nature as we know it.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2004, 01:36:57 PM »

Palast is in the same ideological school as Moore, emails are very easy to fake. I'm suspicious of this story.

It won't get that much play, since it's not proven. It's on Newsnight not the main bulletins.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies