Why do you support Israel's right to exist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:25:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why do you support Israel's right to exist?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Why do you support Israel's right to exist?
Because it is a modern democracy

Because it is a US ally

Because the Jewish people have a right to a safe homeland.

Because it is to play a vital role in the end of the world.

Other reason (specify)

I don't.  I'm neutral (really?)

I don't, because the land was wrongly taken from the Palistinians.

I don't Death to the infidels.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 94

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Why do you support Israel's right to exist?  (Read 14066 times)
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2009, 02:40:03 AM »

I voted for the first three because Israel is a good and valuable antion that represents the potential for other Middle Eastern democracies to succeed.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2009, 04:38:37 PM »

I voted for the first three because Israel is a good and valuable antion that represents the potential for other Middle Eastern democracies to succeed.

By occupying all the neighboring territory and treating the inhabitants of the occupied lands as third-class aliens?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2009, 12:20:49 PM »

By occupying all the neighboring territory and treating the inhabitants of the occupied lands as third-class aliens?

Sure, Israel currently gives a weird taste of democracy there in the territories.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2009, 12:30:26 PM »

I don't, I'm neutral.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »

Sure, Israel currently gives a weird taste of democracy there in the territories.

In much the same way that the European empires spread democracy?

I'd rather not have that sort of democracy.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2009, 05:59:20 PM »

In much the same way that the European empires spread democracy?

For the territories, yes, sort of, it was meant to agree with what you said.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2009, 07:58:20 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2009, 08:01:27 PM by Private Willis »

Option 3, and none else. There were certainly better places to put them, however.

Name three.

Not that I (or anyone else) takes it seriously, but Josef Stalin had a suggestion:

As for Israel's "right to exist," I don't see how it's any different than asking why Spain has a right to exist, or China has a right to exist, or Saudi Arabia has a right to exist.  This might have been a valid debate in 1947, but it certainly isn't now.

I don't necessarily think that an ethno-religious-based state is a good thing, and I'm not really fond of nationalism, but we don't live in an ideal world, so the one-state Israel/Palestine solution is completely unworkable (sadly).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2009, 08:00:49 PM »

Option 3, and none else. There were certainly better places to put them, however.

Name three.

Not that I (or anyone else) takes it seriously, but Josef Stalin had a suggestion:

As for Israel's "right to exist," I don't see how it's any different than asking why Spain has a right to exist, or China has a right to exist, or Saudi Arabia has a right to exist.  This might have been a valid debate in 1947, but it certainly isn't now.

I don't necessarily think that an ethno-religious-based state is a good thing, and I'm not really fond of nationalism, but we don't live in an ideal world, so the one-state Israel/Palestine solution is completely unworkable (sadly).

Fixed.

If any state lacks a right to exist, it's Saud.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2009, 08:02:46 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2009, 08:04:59 PM by We're busy touching till we're dizzy stupid »

The Jewish Oblast is actually a much more logical location than Palestine. If Israel had been set up there, there would be no fighting.

I'm kind of against Israel in its current location on principle. Even if it's not 1947 anymore, the very basis of Zionism is so mindnumbingly fucking retarded it makes me disgusted to see any state based on it survive. But of course wiping out Israel wouldn't be humanitarian, so I say settle for them learning to not push around their neighbors because of some bullsh!t based on stuff that happened 2000 years ago.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2009, 08:15:32 PM »

The Jewish Oblast is actually a much more logical location than Palestine. If Israel had been set up there, there would be no fighting.

But it would've required living A. in the Stalinist Soviet Union, and B. in the middle of freakin' nowhere.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2009, 08:44:59 PM »

The Jewish people deserve a safe homeland.

Mission Accomplished!

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2009, 12:05:42 AM »

The Jewish Oblast is actually a much more logical location than Palestine.

Very logical. For a concentration camp.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2009, 12:16:12 AM »

The Jewish Oblast is actually a much more logical location than Palestine.

Very logical. For a concentration camp.
We're talking a very a "special" logic here.  He actually said "much more".
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2009, 12:23:18 AM »

I'm talking about looking at some chunk of land ignoring all other factors. Obviously anywhere under Stalin isn't a great place, but if we were to assume instead that say Israel was never founded successfully and then Russia ceded that land after the Soviet collapse for a Jewish state, it would be much less controversial and result in less wars than the current state of Israel.

Really the most "fair" thing to do would've been to carve out some state in Germany. But like I said, I just find the logic behind Zionism so idiotic I can't be sympathetic to any state based on it. Where your people lived 2000 years ago should not matter one iota today.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2009, 12:31:52 AM »

Silesia could have quite easily been designated a Jewish state.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2009, 10:39:33 AM »

I'm kind of against Israel in its current location on principle. Even if it's not 1947 anymore, the very basis of Zionism is so mindnumbingly fucking retarded it makes me disgusted to see any state based on it survive. But of course wiping out Israel wouldn't be humanitarian, so I say settle for them learning to not push around their neighbors because of some bullsh!t based on stuff that happened 2000 years ago.

This is an argument I never understood. Are you saying that the British Empire shouldn't have allowed Jews to move to Palestine? It's funny how the left is suddenly so anti-immigration and clinging to some sort of nativist belief when it comes to Israel.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2009, 01:06:13 PM »

This is an argument I never understood. Are you saying that the British Empire shouldn't have allowed Jews to move to Palestine? It's funny how the left is suddenly so anti-immigration and clinging to some sort of nativist belief when it comes to Israel.

100% agreed.
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -0.52

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2009, 05:03:58 AM »

I support Israel's "right to exist" for the same reason that I support the "right to exist" of any country. Yes, Israel has a few dodgy foundational issues. So do most countries. Now, supporting the policies of the current government would be a very different question and would get a very different sort of answer.

That is very much my point of view.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2013, 05:40:42 PM »

The first three reasons -which is why I support a two-state solution.  Unfortunately, given the unrestricted expansion of Jewish settlements onto Palestinian land, it is looking as if it is increasingly likely that the Palestinians will be turning to a one-state solution instead.  Which is pretty much the de facto situation on the ground anyway.  
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »

I support its continued existance because it is an established democracy, but I would have opposed its creation in 1948.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2013, 06:06:08 PM »

Because just because their country was founded in a not-particularly-moral way 60 years ago doesn't mean it's less legitimate than a country founded in a not-particularly-moral way 200 years ago. I support their right to exist as a country, much as I support the right of Bolivia or Ghana to exist.

I don't support fawning over them like many people do.

This was the best answer, Israel have a right to exist, because several generations of Israeli have been born and have lived there. It's no different from the Polish right to the land east of the Oder.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »

Third, mostly, which is why I support a two-state solution.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »

Should be a secular state in which Palestinian's and Israeli's live together(peacefully).
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2013, 07:12:17 PM »

Why is a thread from 2009 bumped? I believe that Israelis and Palestinians have the right to have an existence. Especially the latter which are the ones who suffer a military occupation since 45 years ago, if my maths are not wrong. I won't cast my vote in polls like this. Now, try to put Jews and Arabs in agreement and try to arrange the world. You'll have my moral support.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2013, 08:35:52 AM »

I support Israel's right to exist because:

1) I like the idea of a state increasingly dominated by the ultra-conservatives like the Haredi
2) It bugs a lot of leftists.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies