Why do you support Israel's right to exist? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:21:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why do you support Israel's right to exist? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Why do you support Israel's right to exist?
Because it is a modern democracy

Because it is a US ally

Because the Jewish people have a right to a safe homeland.

Because it is to play a vital role in the end of the world.

Other reason (specify)

I don't.  I'm neutral (really?)

I don't, because the land was wrongly taken from the Palistinians.

I don't Death to the infidels.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 94

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Why do you support Israel's right to exist?  (Read 14125 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: September 25, 2009, 07:14:33 PM »

I do, because two injustices do not a justice make.  One may disagree on whether creating Israel was an appropriate thing to do (I, personally, believe it was not), but by now there are some 5 million or more people for whom this is the only conceivable home. At this point, I think, Israel is a fact, and its existence does not need any justification beyond the one needed by any other nation state: it is there, and getting rid of it would be a personal disaster for many. 

At the same time, I firmly reject the idea of Israel as a Jewish state that has anything to do w/ myself. Israel is an Israeli state, the state of the Israeli people, which, in my view, has little, if anything, to do w/ those of us in the diaspora. I have no loyalty to it whatsoever, and I'd be offended if anyone suggested as much. Though I, personally, do not like a lot about Israel, I have to recognize the fact that it is sufficiently a liberal democracy - of course, only within its recognized borders - to provide its citizens with legitimate opportunities for influencing political process and the structure of the state. Thus, though I may dislike a lot of things about the Israeli state, my dislike is not much different from my dislike of Switzerland (another place some of my ancestors once called home - I do have crappy ancestral homelands, to think about it Smiley ) or South Korea.

Now,  though Israeli existence itself, at this point, needs no further justification, the same is not true for the status of the Occupied Territories (including, for that matter, East Jerusalem). These are not part of the Israeli liberal polity and the way Israel has been behaving itself there justifies international concern. The status quo there is unacceptable for the same reason Israel's right to exist is indisputable: continuation of it is creating multiple personal tragedies. Whether the status quo is replaced w/ two states or w/ a single bi-communal Israeli-Palestinian state (frankly, my preferred option), either outcome would be an acceptable improvement. The current situation should not continue.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 09:49:17 PM »

I think they should practise what they preach, Have a one state solution and intermarry with the Palestinians.

This is, very clearly, not what almost anyone there preaches. I might say, this is unfortunately, but the fact is: this would be directly against whatever Zionist doctrine that is out there.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 12:05:42 AM »

The Jewish Oblast is actually a much more logical location than Palestine.

Very logical. For a concentration camp.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies