Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:45:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377210 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2009, 05:17:16 PM »

Welcome to the Northeast Assembly! Smiley

Once the Representatives have taken their oaths (or at least a majority of Reps.), business can begin! Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »

Here is the official page for the Assembly: https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Northeast_Assembly#Assemblies
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 05:34:38 AM »

I, Antonio V, solemnly swear...

Well, what should I swear ? Tongue
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:01:10 AM »

I, Antonio V, solemnly swear...

Well, what should I swear ? Tongue

To do a damn fine job?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:40:12 AM »

Ok, let's go ! Cheesy

Is the session officially opened, Mister Lt Gov ?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 09:57:31 AM »

I think we should adress Lt. Governor "Mr. President", as he's a presiding officer of the assembly, but it's just a protoloc Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 10:05:55 AM »

I think we should adress Lt. Governor "Mr. President", as he's a presiding officer of the assembly, but it's just a protoloc Wink

Right.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 10:09:03 AM »

Not to clutter the Assembly floor, but could someone kindly provide a basic primer on how the Northeast Assembly changes our current regional process of passing law?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 12:17:13 PM »

Well as your first order of business you should probably establish legislative rules such as leadership in the chamber, just as we did in the First Mideast Assembly.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 12:32:12 PM »

Well as your first order of business you should probably establish legislative rules such as leadership in the chamber, just as we did in the First Mideast Assembly.

I think they are expressed clearly enough on the Amendment : First we discuss, then we vote. Lt Governor is the President of the Assembly and votes only to break a tie.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 01:11:05 PM »

Just a friendly reminder to the Assembly. Elections will be coming up next month, I know this just started, but all of those who are interested in staying past next month should make sure to declare.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 01:39:09 PM »

Smid for Speaker/Preisding Officer!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 01:43:54 PM »

Just a friendly reminder to the Assembly. Elections will be coming up next month, I know this just started, but all of those who are interested in staying past next month should make sure to declare.

Well, we have until Friday 9, right ?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 01:49:36 PM »

Well, we have until Friday 9, right ?

That is correct.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 03:35:35 PM »

I'd like to say, that I'll be seeking the position of Deputy President of the Assembly. As you all remember, I raised a topic to needs of such position long before passing of the amendment and be happy to work in this, if elected.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 03:46:41 PM »

Sorry fellow Representatives, looks like I acted little to quickly this time Wink

Since Smid is running for the position I'll drop out and support him 
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 04:16:25 PM »

With all Representatives having taken their oaths, the Assembly is now in session.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 04:32:56 PM »

Mr. President, fellow Representatives

I would like to take a floor for a moment just in order to express my deep satisfaction, as our Region citizes, to see finally well-needed Assembly in work and, as a Representative, to express my great pride that I can serve in this first, historic session.

I strongly believe that we can all together, regardless of our political positions and party affilation, work for a creation of needed and wise laws. A great responsibility was bested upon us: not only to create a laws, but to prove by our work to citizens that creation of the Assembly was a right choice.

Thank you
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 04:39:40 PM »

We shall first elect a Deputy Presiding Officer. Representatives have twenty-four hours to nominate a candidate.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 07:47:04 PM »

Sorry fellow Representatives, looks like I acted little to quickly this time Wink

Since Smid is running for the position I'll drop out and support him 

Nonsense! You were not at all too hasty. I think it would be poor form for democracy for you to drop out after playing such an active role in the establishment of the legislature. I would be happy to perform the duties of office if my fellow Representatives choose me, but I'm equally happy if we choose another candidate from our midst.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 12:57:26 AM »
« Edited: September 29, 2009, 01:00:47 AM by cinyc »

Shouldn't we be passing enabling legislation before selecting a Speaker? 
-------
Here's what Representative Kalwejt's proposed President pro tempore amendment said (I've replaced "President pro tempore" with "Speaker" and cleaned up some of the language):

Northeast Assembly Speaker Act

1. The Northeast Assembly shall elect a Speaker from among its members at the start of each new Northeast Assembly term.
2. The Speaker shall assume the role of presiding officer of the Northeast Assembly whenever the Lieutenant Governor publicly confirms he will be absent from the Northeast Assembly or the Lieutenant Governor otherwise publicly designates the Speaker to this role for a specified period.
3. The Speaker shall serve until the end of the Northeast Assembly term, unless the Speaker is removed or resigns from the office of the Speaker.
4. The Speaker may be removed from office by a majority vote of all members of the Northeast Assembly.
5. If the office of the Speaker is vacant for any reason, the Northeast Assembly shall elect a new Speaker from among its members as soon as possible.
---------
Question: Do we want the Speaker to be elected by a clear majority or is a plurality vote okay?  Or do we want some sort of proportional voting?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 01:22:30 AM »

Absolute majority is better.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 01:29:24 AM »

I think so too.  If we all think so, the law should read:

1. The Northeast Assembly shall elect a Speaker from among its members by a majority vote of all members of the Northeast Assembly at the start of each new Northeast Assembly term.
2. The Speaker shall assume the role of presiding officer of the Northeast Assembly whenever the Lieutenant Governor publicly confirms he will be absent from the Northeast Assembly or the Lieutenant Governor otherwise publicly designates the Speaker to this role for a specified period.
3. The Speaker shall serve until the end of the Northeast Assembly term, unless the Speaker is removed or resigns from the office of the Speaker.
4. The Speaker may be removed from office by a majority vote of all members of the Northeast Assembly.
5. If the office of the Speaker becomes vacant for any reason, the Northeast Assembly shall elect a new Speaker from among its members by a majority vote of all members of the Northeast Assembly as soon as possible.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 01:49:47 AM »

Well, this is good. Wink
I think we can immediately start voting, to rapidly have our speaker.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 02:09:43 AM »

Shouldn't we be passing enabling legislation before selecting a Speaker? 
-------
Here's what Representative Kalwejt's proposed President pro tempore amendment said (I've replaced "President pro tempore" with "Speaker" and cleaned up some of the language):

1. The Northeast Assembly shall elect a Speaker from among its members at the start of each new Northeast Assembly term.
5. If the office of the Speaker is vacant for any reason, the Northeast Assembly shall elect a new Speaker from among its members as soon as possible.
---------
Question: Do we want the Speaker to be elected by a clear majority or is a plurality vote okay?  Or do we want some sort of proportional voting?

Plurality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies