Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:43:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 378143 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4950 on: November 13, 2011, 09:59:18 PM »

Now that all members of the assembly have voted, the vote is closed. Since there's no Lt. Gov, what happens now?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4951 on: November 13, 2011, 10:04:35 PM »

Now that all members of the assembly have voted, the vote is closed. Since there's no Lt. Gov, what happens now?

It is my understanding that the bill fails because it has not attained a majority of the Assemblymen's votes.

SOAP 3.5:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4952 on: November 13, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »

With all members having voted, voting time is expired.  The ayes are 3, nays are 3, and abstentions are 1.  The bill fails.

The Assembly will now consider the appointment of AndrewPA as Lieutenant Governor.  I suggest that all questions members might have for him be asked here.  Should any questions be asked by members, I will tell AndrewPA to answer them in this thread.

Debate will last for 48 hours.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4953 on: November 13, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »

AndrewPA seems to be a fairly active citizen of the Northeast with a clean record.  So far, I do not have any objections to this nomination.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4954 on: November 14, 2011, 06:22:31 AM »

Andrew, are you a juggalo?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4955 on: November 14, 2011, 07:53:28 AM »

At one point I was, yes. But than they stopped selling Faygo in the CT area.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4956 on: November 14, 2011, 08:10:06 AM »

It is my understanding that the bill fails because it has not attained a majority of the Assemblymen's votes.

SOAP 3.5:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Governor is acting Lt. Governor at the moment, if we're assuming Giovanni isn't.  So he should have to break the tie...
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4957 on: November 14, 2011, 09:45:24 AM »

Giovanni is the Lt. Governor, the Governor does not have the power to hire and fire Lt. Governors.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4958 on: November 14, 2011, 10:06:14 AM »

Giovanni is the Lt. Governor, the Governor does not have the power to hire and fire Lt. Governors.

AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4959 on: November 14, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »

Except he hasnt sworn in. And thus for now he isnt. He didnt answer any questions, and his last known post on here was when he was declaring himself Lt. Governor. Now, if he shows up and swears in, great.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4960 on: November 14, 2011, 11:23:31 AM »

Except he hasnt sworn in. And thus for now he isnt. He didnt answer any questions, and his last known post on here was when he was declaring himself Lt. Governor. Now, if he shows up and swears in, great.

Pretty sure there aren't any Atlasian laws on the matter, but since US laws are presumed to apply where Atlasian ones do not, he's Lt. Governor as soon as he's chosen whether or not he swears in, which is a formality.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4961 on: November 14, 2011, 02:42:31 PM »

And we all know the odds of that actually happening.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4962 on: November 14, 2011, 02:49:56 PM »

Pretty sure there aren't any Atlasian laws on the matter, but since US laws are presumed to apply where Atlasian ones do not, he's Lt. Governor as soon as he's chosen whether or not he swears in, which is a formality.

You can lose office if you are not active within it for 10 days, unless given prior notice. So if 10 days after he was appointed, he does not swear in or take office in some manner, he would lose it.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4963 on: November 14, 2011, 06:35:52 PM »

This is challenging, considering the Assembly wasn't given time to make a recommendation before Giovanni was appointed.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4964 on: November 15, 2011, 12:31:12 AM »
« Edited: November 15, 2011, 12:37:56 AM by Northeast Speaker Scott »

If Giovanni doesn't swear in before the deadline, it would be most logical to just confirm Andrew and call it a done deal.  However, the Governor rescinded his nomination before everything was set and done, so he doesn't really have much ground on this.  But I sort of think it was a mistake on my part to even open up consideration in the Assembly for either of these appointments, since Lt. Governors are normally appointed without confirmation.

Our regional constitution only specifies that the Lt. Governor may substitute for the Governor, nothing about the other way around.  Snowstalker would still not have a vote.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4965 on: November 15, 2011, 08:54:50 AM »

If Giovanni doesn't swear in before the deadline, it would be most logical to just confirm Andrew and call it a done deal.  However, the Governor rescinded his nomination before everything was set and done, so he doesn't really have much ground on this.  But I sort of think it was a mistake on my part to even open up consideration in the Assembly for either of these appointments, since Lt. Governors are normally appointed without confirmation.

Our regional constitution only specifies that the Lt. Governor may substitute for the Governor, nothing about the other way around.  Snowstalker would still not have a vote.

You are right, we don't confirm.  In the past, the Assembly has simply had a period to recommend a Lt. Governor before one was appointed.  Giovanni was appointed without any open recommendation that has been precedent in the past, so this would be the challenge against him.  You could always PM CJO cinyc and let him know the situation.  He gives his opinion when asked.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4966 on: November 15, 2011, 03:17:25 PM »

Cynic has informed me that the fourth Constitution, does not, in fact, address vacancies.  This is a huge oversight.  He also said that the Assembly sent a recommendation to the governor, but the governor would not have to approve it.

I have already written legislation that addresses the issue of vacancies, but I see now that I should revise it and propose it as a constitutional amendment instead of a resolution.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4967 on: November 15, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »

Well, first I thought the vacancy had to be filled by special election, like with other offices.  Then Napoleon told me someone would have to be appointed and then confirmed by the Assembly.

As far as I know the Assembly just recommends a Lt. Governor.  Realistically, The Governor can appoint whoever he wants after that.  So..  we should of had a period to recommend someone to fill the position, before a Lt. Governor was ever chosen.

Yes, that is the way things were done under the old (third) Northeast Constitution.   The Fourth Northeast Constitution is silent on how to deal with a vacancy in the Lt. Governor's office.  Someone should propose a constitutional amendment to fix that before it becomes a real problem (Next highest vote-getter?  Assembly vote?  Gubernatorial appointment?).

Because the elections were held under the old constitution, treating those provisions as if they are in force for the Lt. Governor's office this session can't hurt.  In the absence of any provision in the new constitution, we might as well follow the old.  If the office is truly vacant, the Assembly should recommend a new Lt. Governor to the Governor.  The Governor should act upon that recommendation as he sees fit.

Before that, I can't follow the history here.  Why is the Lt. Governor's office is vacant instead of merely unclaimed?  Did Giovanni move to another region or otherwise make himself ineligible for the office?  Or did he just not swear in yet?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4968 on: November 15, 2011, 03:27:28 PM »

Well, first I thought the vacancy had to be filled by special election, like with other offices.  Then Napoleon told me someone would have to be appointed and then confirmed by the Assembly.

As far as I know the Assembly just recommends a Lt. Governor.  Realistically, The Governor can appoint whoever he wants after that.  So..  we should of had a period to recommend someone to fill the position, before a Lt. Governor was ever chosen.

Yes, that is the way things were done under the old (third) Northeast Constitution.   The Fourth Northeast Constitution is silent on how to deal with a vacancy in the Lt. Governor's office.  Someone should propose a constitutional amendment to fix that before it becomes a real problem (Next highest vote-getter?  Assembly vote?  Gubernatorial appointment?).

Because the elections were held under the old constitution, treating those provisions as if they are in force for the Lt. Governor's office this session can't hurt.  In the absence of any provision in the new constitution, we might as well follow the old.  If the office is truly vacant, the Assembly should recommend a new Lt. Governor to the Governor.  The Governor should act upon that recommendation as he sees fit.

Before that, I can't follow the history here.  Why is the Lt. Governor's office is vacant instead of merely unclaimed?  Did Giovanni move to another region or otherwise make himself ineligible for the office?  Or did he just not swear in yet?

My assumption has been based off the precedence set under the old constitution.  Wherein, we recommended a Lt. Governor before an appointment was made.  Giovanni was appointed without any period for recommendation by this body, hasn't sworn in, and Snowstalker whether legally or illegally, rescinded his appointment.  Had the Assembly openly recommended a Lt. Governor before the appointment, I would have no qualms with Giovanni's appointment.  However, lacking the ability to nominate, and vote on a recommendation in this body, I object to the argument in favor of Giovanni.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4969 on: November 15, 2011, 03:29:42 PM »

I suppose that when it becomes time for a vote, the motion will be on whether to recommend AndrewPA for the position, then.

Originally, Cincinnatus ran for the position and got the most votes.  Instead of taking the position, he swore in as a Representative.  Giovanni has not swore in yet, but even if he does, it won't really be legitimate since the Governor rescinded his nomination and the Assembly didn't vote to approve his appointment.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4970 on: November 15, 2011, 03:34:02 PM »

I suppose that when it becomes time for a vote, the motion will be on whether to recommend AndrewPA for the position, then.

Originally, Cincinnatus ran for the position and got the most votes.  Instead of taking the position, he swore in as a Representative.  Giovanni has not swore in yet, but even if he does, it won't really be legitimate since the Governor rescinded his nomination and the Assembly didn't vote to approve his appointment.

The Assembly doesn't have to approve his appointment.  We can only make a recommendation, not confirm or deny an appointment.  As stated in my previous post, I'm only concerned with the Assembly not having submitted a recommendation before an appointment.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4971 on: November 15, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »

Thanks for explaining the situation.  So there is a vacancy in the Lt. Governor's office.  Under the old constitution, the Governor could not appoint a new Lt. Governor until a recommendation was received from the Assembly.  Since that didn't happen, elections were held under the old constitution and the new constitution is silent on how to fill a Lt. Governors' vacancy, Giovanni's appointment is void.

The Assembly should recommend a new Lt. Governor.  The Governor need not appoint the person recommended, but cannot appoint anyone to fill the office until the recommendation is made.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4972 on: November 15, 2011, 04:52:56 PM »

Thanks for explaining the situation.  So there is a vacancy in the Lt. Governor's office.  Under the old constitution, the Governor could not appoint a new Lt. Governor until a recommendation was received from the Assembly.  Since that didn't happen, elections were held under the old constitution and the new constitution is silent on how to fill a Lt. Governors' vacancy, Giovanni's appointment is void.

The Assembly should recommend a new Lt. Governor.  The Governor need not appoint the person recommended, but cannot appoint anyone to fill the office until the recommendation is made.

The Assembly will vote on recommending AndrewPA, since he was the Governor's second choice for the position anyway.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4973 on: November 15, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »

The Assembly will vote on recommending AndrewPA, since he was the Governor's second choice for the position anyway.

As stated by myself, and Cinyc, we must recommend a Lt. Governor before an appointment.  We can't just vote to recommend Andrew, or not recommend him.  Start with nominations, and then a vote.  Once we have voted on our recommendation the Governor is free to make an appointment.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4974 on: November 15, 2011, 05:21:59 PM »

In that case, I will cancel the vote on AndrewPA's confirmation.  If any member would like to nominate a recommendation for Lt. Governor, please state who you would prefer.  This nominating period will last 24 hours.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies