Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:29:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 220 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 378931 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5350 on: January 04, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »

I would if the Governor hadn't illegally not included the position of CJO on the last ballot. Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

FTR, Cinyc's 6 months are long over IIRC.  Not to keep beating this drum, but..

Sorry, I was unaware of the various and sundry new "reforms."  Funny, because Napoleon thinks just about everything should be put to a popular vote.  Anyhoo, my point stands, as of right now I can't challenge this because the Governor has illegally left the position vacant.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5351 on: January 04, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »

I would if the Governor hadn't illegally not included the position of CJO on the last ballot. Smiley

Sorry, I was unaware of the various and sundry new "reforms."  Funny, because Napoleon thinks just about everything should be put to a popular vote.  Anyhoo, my point stands, as of right now I can't challenge this because the Governor has illegally left the position vacant.

The CJO has been an appointed position for quite some time, has it not?  It certainly was under the last constitution..
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5352 on: January 04, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »

Wormy, it doesn't really matter. Even if his actions somehow aren't upheld they could just use SOAP 3(h) to modify 3(d) to make amendment votes only last ten seconds, get the amendments out of the way and move to a final vote of the bill. You wouldn't even have time to react.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5353 on: January 04, 2012, 10:37:49 PM »

The old constitution was in effect last General Election. This has nothing to with any reforms.

BTW, standard debate time is 48 hours. Either way, one mistake doesn't allow you to disobey all parliamentary rules. The Assembly shouldn't have to be a day care.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5354 on: January 04, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »

The CJO has been an appointed position for quite some time, has it not?  It certainly was under the last constitution..

That's funny, because when Governor Ghost_white (who was far more active than the current governor) was being recalled for "inactivity," I could've sworn one of the complaints of the recallers was that he didn't include CJO on the ballot.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but whatever the case my substantive point stands, even if I have better things to do than to memorize the constitution of a fictional political entity.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5355 on: January 04, 2012, 10:42:24 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2012, 10:44:25 PM by Northeast Speaker Scott »

I admit that I've made my share of mistakes handling and understanding this whole filibuster situation.  We do still need a CJO, too, but as Napoleon mentioned, debate time (that is, the time when amendments can be introduced) ended.  You cannot filibuster here.

For the record, you don't have to memorize anything.  The current Constitution is already on the Wiki.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5356 on: January 04, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »

Making a mistake is less embarrassing, to me, than is making a fool of oneself.

Are we replacing the day care with a comedy club now? I think I just heard someone try to claim Ghostwhite was more active than an actually active Governor.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5357 on: January 04, 2012, 10:52:39 PM »

Frankly, Napoleon, I am willing to do whatever it takes to protect the Northeast citizen, and I am prepared to do anything in my power to do so, even should the conventional wisdom consider me a "fool" for so trying.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5358 on: January 04, 2012, 10:53:20 PM »

Also abstain if it's presently time to vote on this.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5359 on: January 04, 2012, 11:01:13 PM »

Frankly, Napoleon, I am willing to do whatever it takes to protect the Northeast citizen, and I am prepared to do anything in my power to do so, even should the conventional wisdom consider me a "fool" for so trying.

A mature person would defeat the bill by successfully debating it down, rather than these crazy antics. I intend to do just that anyway.

If you wanted to filibuster, which I am not necessarily against as a legislative tool, you could introduce more serious bills that might fail the same but avoid making an ass out of yourself in the process. I'm sure you can find plenty of issues you advocate that others wouldn't want to touch besides banning water, you extremist authoritarian.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5360 on: January 04, 2012, 11:13:37 PM »

Well I was planning to introduce more substantive measures, those were just a stopgap.  I would read the Pentagon Papers aloud but apparently that's not allowed in this establishment.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5361 on: January 04, 2012, 11:15:17 PM »

And obviously if it's obvious that the bill would fail without my filibustering it I wouldn't, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5362 on: January 05, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »

Gentlemen, I would like to see the Assembly remain a dignified and reasonable institution. I would like to hear out Mr. wormyguy's view on his opposition to the tax code, but these antics are unbecoming of a public servant. Let the assembly discuss the legislation.

As for the CJO issue, the post has remained vacant for far too long in a period that extends through my entire term thus far. I do intend to search for a CJO--PMing and my final appointment will take the next few days.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #5363 on: January 05, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »

I'm confused.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5364 on: January 06, 2012, 02:48:01 PM »

Voting time has expired.  The ayes are zero, nays are two, and abstentions are one.  The bill fails.

The Assembly will now consider the legislation sponsored by the gentleman from New York.  Debate will be for 48 hours.

Second Northeast Tax Reform Act of 2011

Income Tax

1. All individual state income taxes are hereby repealed and replaced with a region-wide progressive tax system, with a minimum of 2.5% and a maximum of 6%. Those deemed to be under the poverty line are not required to pay regional income tax.

Sales Tax

1. All individual state sales taxes are hereby repealed and replaced with a region-wide 6% sales tax.

2. A Sales Tax shall not be levied on "essential" living items such as clothing, produce, water, meat, etc.

Cigarette Tax

1. Cigarettes are hereby levied with a 4% tax when purchased.

Alcohol Tax

1. Alcohol is hereby levied with a 4% tax when purchased.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5365 on: January 06, 2012, 02:58:07 PM »

I would like to amend the text of the bill to read the following:

Should that amendment fail I would like to amend it to read the following:

The Northeast Omnibus Anti-Fascism Act

1.  The Bipartisan Safe Sex Education Act is amended to allow students to voluntarily withdraw from sex education, or at the request of their parents.

2.  The Northeastern Green Jobs Act is hereby repealed.

3.  The Northeastern Home Ownership Protection Act of 2009 is hereby repealed.

4.  The Sustainable Forestry Act is hereby repealed.

5.  The second amendment to the Northeast Gun Safety Act is hereby repealed.

6.  Sections 2 and 3 of the Practical Labor Policy Redux are hereby repealed.

7.  The Combat HIV/AIDS Act of 2010 is hereby repealed.  Any existing needle exchanges will be provided with $100,000 to continue operation as nonprofit organizations.

8.  The Prisoner Diet Reform Act is hereby repealed.

The Self-Ownership Act (Or, the If You Are Pro-Choice and You Oppose This Then You Are a Hypocrite Act)

1. All persons are defined as the sole owners of their bodily organs.
2. Any non-minor person who has not been deemed mentally incompetent by a judge shall be allowed to sell their non-essential organs (such as the kidneys, skin, and spleen) to others.
3. Any organ removal surgery must be performed under standard levels of anesthesia and cleanliness by a licensed surgeon.
4. The surgeon must inform the donor of the potential risks of organ removal surgery.
5. All donors must be blood-tested for diseases transmittable through organ donation surgery.
6. A surgeon may, at his or her own discretion, declare a person mentally incompetent for the purposes of selling his or her bodily organs.
7. Unlawfully coercing a person to sell his or her bodily organs shall be a felony punishable by not less than 60 months in prison and/or a fine of not less than $50,000.  Attempting to unlawfully coerce a person to sell his or her bodily organs shall be a felony punishable by not less than 30 months in prison and/or a fine of not less than $25,000.
8. Persons with valid organ donor cards shall be eligible for a $500 yearly tax credit.

The Public Safety Act of 2012

1. Any seller of firearms may refuse a sale to any buyer for any reason.
2. Any laws preventing the preceding clause from taking effect are hereby amended to allow it to do so.

The Un-Stealing Bill

All unimproved regional lands shall be immediately transferred to the original Indian tribes indigenous to said lands.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5366 on: January 06, 2012, 03:13:08 PM »

Rep. Cincinnatus, do you consider each of these amendments friendly or unfriendly?

This time, I will do it right and hold each unfriendly amendment up for a vote at the same time immediately after the debate period ends.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5367 on: January 06, 2012, 10:41:59 PM »

Rep. Cincinnatus, do you consider each of these amendments friendly or unfriendly?

This time, I will do it right and hold each unfriendly amendment up for a vote at the same time immediately after the debate period ends.

Somehow I imagine wormy thinks we should be holding a seperate vote on all these amendments.  This made me chuckle.  FTR, all are unfriendly.

I'll also be introducing the following amendment, which I won't consider friendly until Snowstalker gives an opinion.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5368 on: January 06, 2012, 10:43:32 PM »

In addition, I'm not sure about the wording here;

Who's at the minimum, and who's at the maximum?  Who's in between?  We don't exactly specify this with any brackets.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5369 on: January 06, 2012, 11:42:22 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2012, 11:44:08 PM by Ironic Rick Perry Supporter »

Therein lies the biggest flaw in my legislation writing--I forget the details.

All amendments are unfriendly. I believe that this act should be brought back to the drawing board--a tax code should be simple, but not that general.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5370 on: January 07, 2012, 12:04:30 AM »

I'm going to work to reduce Federal Taxes in the Senate, but at this point, you'd pay half of your income to the Federal Government if you make more than $1,000,000, so what's the point of making those people pay more? It doesn't sound very pragmatic to have a citizen pay up to 56% of their income in taxes...plus sales taxes...it's all too much.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5371 on: January 07, 2012, 12:08:44 AM »

I'm going to work to reduce Federal Taxes in the Senate, but at this point, you'd pay half of your income to the Federal Government if you make more than $1,000,000, so what's the point of making those people pay more? It doesn't sound very pragmatic to have a citizen pay up to 56% of their income in taxes...plus sales taxes...it's all too much.

So do it.  Meanwhile the Region has to function, and revenue is crucial to that end.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5372 on: January 07, 2012, 12:17:48 AM »

So do it.  Meanwhile the Region has to function, and revenue is crucial to that end.

Well what I'm saying is, can't the current bill be tabled now until Federal taxes are lowered? I just wrote a bill that would do just that.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5373 on: January 07, 2012, 12:23:26 AM »

We could amend that the bill go into effect at a later date, or repeal it if your bill doesn't pass.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5374 on: January 07, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »

I would be open to having the bill be placed into effect at a later date for the purposes of allowing clarification in the form of amending legislation.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 220 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies