Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:13:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 232 233 234 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377192 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5700 on: July 08, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »

By the way, Mr. Speaker, is there a way my bill could contain both the legislation for the capital redevelopment and a constitutional amendment that consecrates it as the official capital?  We obviously cannot have one thing without the other, but I don't want to incorporate the amendment into the bill so that it takes 2/3 of the Assembly to pass the entire thing.

I'm not certain as to what you want to accomplish here; I don't see how we could incorporate these two things into one piece of legislation without it being one or the other- an amendment or a regular bill.

My recommendation is to pass the amendment first and then a bill detailing the procedure of the capital's construction, the opposite of what I was trying to do.

Well, I'm a little concerned that one will pass but not the other.  If the amendment passes but not the bill, then it loses its purpose- just as it would vice versa.

But just for now, I'll un-withdraw the amendment I put up.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #5701 on: July 08, 2012, 03:33:32 PM »

If the amendment were to pass, I would say one could safely assume a bill could pass.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5702 on: July 08, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »

If the amendment were to pass, I would say one could safely assume a bill could pass.

I hope so.  Hopefully, some of our more skeptical representatives will offer amendments or suggestions to any bugs they see in the upcoming bill so that the effort doesn't go to waste.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5703 on: July 08, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »

I'll be out for a week starting on Wednesday, so the leftist majority will have to take a vacation.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5704 on: July 09, 2012, 08:38:21 PM »

Please, no.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5705 on: July 13, 2012, 11:13:43 AM »

I will be absent until Monday. I recommend Rep. Jones assume the acting speakership.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5706 on: July 13, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »

I will be absent until Monday. I recommend Rep. Jones assume the acting speakership.

You have no lawful ability to delve out your responsibility as Speaker, unless Alfred is Lt. Governor.  IIRC, you are Lt. Gov?  
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5707 on: July 13, 2012, 02:56:01 PM »

I believe the responsibility is passed down to the longest continuously serving representative when the Speaker and Lt. Governor aren't available.  I'm not entirely sure who that is, though.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5708 on: July 13, 2012, 03:05:01 PM »

I believe the responsibility is passed down to the longest continuously serving representative when the Speaker and Lt. Governor aren't available.  I'm not entirely sure who that is, though.

Are you talking about the order of precedence in the constitution?  This doesn't apply here.  If not, I'd gladly be proven wrong..
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5709 on: July 13, 2012, 03:11:11 PM »

I believe the responsibility is passed down to the longest continuously serving representative when the Speaker and Lt. Governor aren't available.  I'm not entirely sure who that is, though.

Are you talking about the order of precedence in the constitution?  This doesn't apply here.  If not, I'd gladly be proven wrong..

I assume it does, unless there's a piece of legislation dictating otherwise.  If there isn't, then that's a problem.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5710 on: July 13, 2012, 03:20:42 PM »

You have no lawful ability to delve out your responsibility as Speaker, unless Alfred is Lt. Governor.  IIRC, you are Lt. Gov?  

I am both, yes. I suggested Alfred as he had the second most 1st preferences in the race, not sure if that counts for anything. As far as I'm aware both he and Winfield have served equally long periods, which I also considered.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5711 on: July 13, 2012, 03:36:21 PM »

Winfield has served longer in the Assembly.

Longer continuously?  I think he may have been elected at the same time as Pyro.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5712 on: July 13, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »

Winfield won re-election when I entered the Assembly, three elections ago. Pyro's only been around for the last two elections.

Oh, you appear to be right.  Now the only question is whether the section in the Constitution applies to temporarily vacated Speakerships.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5713 on: July 13, 2012, 03:42:49 PM »

Winfield was elected at the same time I was elected Governor.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5714 on: July 13, 2012, 03:47:59 PM »

Winfield won re-election when I entered the Assembly, three elections ago. Pyro's only been around for the last two elections.

Oh, you appear to be right.  Now the only question is whether the section in the Constitution applies to temporarily vacated Speakerships.

AFAIK, there is no lawful way to temporarily appoint someone to fulfill the duties of Speaker.  Now, if you want to create a new precedent fine, I'm just informing the Assembly.  Just understand, this may give way to a legal suit, if someone deems it necessary to challenge Simfan's action.

The real issue is, do we have a system in place for such circumstances?  If not, why not? 
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5715 on: July 13, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »

Oh, you appear to be right.  Now the only question is whether the section in the Constitution applies to temporarily vacated Speakerships.

AFAIK, there is no lawful way to temporarily appoint someone to fulfill the duties of Speaker.  Now, if you want to create a new precedent fine, I'm just informing the Assembly.  Just understand, this may give way to a legal suit, if someone deems it necessary to challenge Simfan's action.

The real issue is, do we have a system in place for such circumstances?  If not, why not?  

Now that I think about it, I had to take a few days off when I was Speaker at one point.  The Assembly had to recess for the time being.  That may be the only lawful way of handling this.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5716 on: July 13, 2012, 08:55:22 PM »

This is a sad state of affairs when the lawfully elected Assembly simply shuts down because someone fails to show up or is unable to attend.

I recognize the fact that we all from time to time perhaps will have to be away for a period of time, but I am of the belief that if you can be there then you should be there and if you can't you can't, but the Assembly should not have to shut down because one Representative cannot or will not be in attendance for whatever reason.

So yes, there should be a mechanism or procedure in place so the business of the Assembly can carry on.  A line of succession is one way to address this issue, although I do  not believe the Chief Judicial Officer should be in the line of succession, as this officer is not a member of the Assembly, and should therefore not be in a position to conduct the business of the elected Assembly.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5717 on: July 13, 2012, 11:03:36 PM »

I only included the CJO in my amendment so that the line of succession for the Speakership is identical to the one for the Governorship.  I will leave it to the Assembly to modify the amendment when it comes up.

As for now, both Simfan and Alfred have posted leaves of absence, so it's best that the Assembly recesses for the time-being.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5718 on: July 16, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »

And I have returned. I deeply apologize for the inconvenience I have caused but the situation was outside my control.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5719 on: July 17, 2012, 09:16:05 PM »

And I have returned. I deeply apologize for the inconvenience I have caused but my dad has an [inks]load of cousins.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5720 on: July 17, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »

No one seems to be here. I might need to call a recess.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5721 on: July 17, 2012, 09:42:02 PM »

Welcome back Representatives Simfan and Jones.

I trust all is well.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5722 on: July 20, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »

I am pleased to advise this Assembly that the Vice President of Atlasia/Secretary of External Affairs, the honorable Kalwejt, has asked that I undertake a foreign mission as an envoy of the Department of External Affairs.

I have accepted, and will be embarking shortly to the Principality of Liechtenstein on a fact finding mission.

Upon my return, I will be meeting with President Napoleon and Vice President/Secretary of External Affairs Kalwejt to present my findings, after which my report will be delivered to the Department of External Affairs.

As I have always been prepared and honored to represent the interests of the Northeast, I am now prepared and honored to represent the interests of Atlasia on this mission.

My Assembly Chief of Staff will accompany me on my mission, and I will be kept informed of Assembly matters by my Senior Assembly Assistant. 

I shall be returning to Atlasia on July 28, 2012.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my best personal regards to the Governor and the members of this Assembly.

I as well wish to express my gratitude to the Vice President/Secretary of External Affairs for entrusting me with this mission.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5723 on: July 20, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »

Mr. Winfield, will you be communicating with the Assembly on your mission? And can you run from one end of Liechtenstein to the other?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5724 on: July 20, 2012, 07:10:33 PM »

Mr. Winfield, will you be communicating with the Assembly on your mission? And can you run from one end of Liechtenstein to the other?

Mr. Jones, thank you for your questions.

As stated, my Senior Assembly Assistant will be keeping me informed of Asembly matters, and if warranted, I will be communicating with the members of the Assembly via email.  I would respectfully ask the Speaker to read the contents of my email into the Assembly record.   I do not know of any Assembly rules that would prohibit this.

No, I cannot run from one end of Liechtenstein to the other, however, I could probably do it by mountain bike.  Cheesy  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 232 233 234 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies