Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 11:22:36 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 ... 242 Print
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 199471 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: February 24, 2012, 06:59:47 pm »
Ignore

I vote aye to Scott's appointment, and vote for Cincinnatus for Speaker.

Thanks, but I meant just the nominations and the confirmation of Scott.. we'll move on to a vote for Speaker after the nominating period is over Smiley

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:02:28 pm by Cincinnatus »Logged
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: February 24, 2012, 09:21:57 pm »
Ignore

Aye for Scott's appointment.

Please clarify why we have to vote on this since he won the Senate election.

POWER IN DC
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: February 24, 2012, 09:46:56 pm »
Ignore

Napoleon vacated his seat upon swearing in as Governor.  Therefore, the seat is currently vacant because Senators won't swear in for a while.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: February 24, 2012, 10:31:37 pm »
Ignore

Napoleon vacated his seat upon swearing in as Governor.  Therefore, the seat is currently vacant because Senators won't swear in for a while.

Thank you.  I was not sure when Senators swear in.

POWER IN DC
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: February 25, 2012, 07:14:22 am »
Ignore

The Ayes are 3, Nays 0, with 1 non-voting abstention on Scott's confirmation.  He is successfully confirmed. 

We will not vote for Speaker. This vote will last 24 hours, or until all members have voted;

[ ] Cincinnatus
[ ] Write-in
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5580 on: February 25, 2012, 07:14:55 am »
Ignore

Speaker;

[1]  Cincinnatus
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: February 25, 2012, 09:07:52 am »
Ignore

[X] Cincinnatus

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: February 25, 2012, 12:08:41 pm »
Ignore

Speaker

[X] Cincinnatus
[  ] Write-in

POWER IN DC
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: February 25, 2012, 01:00:46 pm »
Ignore

I thank the Assembly for confirming me.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: February 26, 2012, 02:33:03 pm »
Ignore

The voting period is over.  Cincinnatus is elected Speaker.

Our first order of business will be to officially confirm Napoleon and homelycooking for the Wiki Reform Commission.  Please vote Aye or Nay for each official.  This vote will last 24 hours.

Aye on Napoleon
Aye on homely
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: February 26, 2012, 02:43:14 pm »
Ignore

Aye on Napoleon & homely.

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: February 26, 2012, 02:48:03 pm »
Ignore

Aye on both.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: February 26, 2012, 07:44:40 pm »
Ignore

Aye Napoleon
Aye homely

POWER IN DC
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: February 27, 2012, 04:16:09 am »
Ignore

All members have voted.  The Ayes are 4, Nays are 0, and non-voting abstentions are 0.  Homely and Napoleon are confirmed.

The Assembly will now consider the legislation introduced by the Governor.  Debate will last 48 hours.

1. Proposed Legislation Thread
A. The Lt. Governor shall open a new Northeast Assembly Proposed Legislation Thread at the start of each Northeast Assembly session.
B. Representatives, the Governor and any concerned Northeast citizen shall post the full text of any proposed legislation in a response to the Northeast Assembly Proposed Legislation Thread for the current session. Each response shall contain only one piece of proposed legislation.
C. Nothing shall be posted to the Northeast Assembly proposed legislation thread except proposed legislation or a Northeast citizen's signature for proposed citizen legislation.

2. Movement of Legislation to the Northeast Assembly Floor
A. Three bills shall be allowed on the floor concurrently, to be referred to as Legislative Slots.
   Legislative Slot 1: Priority shall be given to the People. Legislation proposed by concerned Northeast citizens shall be placed in this slot. If there is no new legislation proposed by concerned Northeast citizens in the Northeast Assembly Proposed Legislation Thread, the Speaker shall place the earliest introduced legislation in this slot.
Legislative Slot 2: Priority shall be given to the Speaker. Legislation shall be placed in this slot at the Speakerís discretion. Proposed legislation must be placed in this slot if it is open.
Legislative Slot 3: Priority shall be given to the Governor. Legislation proposed by the Governor shall be placed in this slot. If there is no new legislation proposed by the Governor in the Northeast Assembly Proposed Legislation Thread, the Speaker shall place the earliest introduced legislation in this slot.
B. Each piece of legislation on the floor shall receive its own thread.
   Threads shall be titled as follows: NE1: Name of bill, where 1 is substituted to designate the Legislative Slot the bill occupies and the Name of bill shall be the Title of the Bill given by its sponsor in the Northeast Assembly Proposed Legislation Thread. Each thread shall remain open until the Bill either (a) becomes law via the Governorís signature, lack of Gubernatorial action, or veto override or (b) fails to receive majority support from Representatives.

3. Legislative Debates and Voting
A. Except as otherwise provided in subsection (h), all proposed legislation shall be open for debate for no less than seventy-two (72) hours after the Speaker places it in a Legislative Slot.
B. During debate, Representatives may suggest amendments to proposed legislation. If the sponsor of the proposed legislation publicly deems the amendment friendly, no vote on the amendment shall be required. If the sponsor of the proposed legislation does not publicly deem the amendment friendly, a vote on the amendment shall be taken twenty-four (24) hours after being proposed unless there is less than twenty-four (24) hours of debate remaining on the bill. If there is less than twenty-four (24) hours of debate remaining on the bill, a vote on the amendment shall be taken before proceeding to a final vote on the bill. Such vote shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours, or until all Representatives have voted, if earlier. An amendment shall pass if a majority of Representatives vote in favor of it (with abstentions and absences not counted as votes).
C. The sponsor of a proposed amendment may remove it from the Assembly floor by tabling it at any time before a vote on the amendment is started.
D. The sponsor of a piece of proposed legislation may remove it from the Assembly floor by tabling it at any time before a final vote is taken on the proposed legislation.
E. A final vote on the proposed legislation shall take place after the Speaker certifies the vote on any proposed amendments (or, if there are no such amendments, at the end of the debate period). Such votes shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours, or until all Representatives have voted, if earlier. A piece of proposed legislation shall pass if a majority of Representatives vote in favor of it (with abstentions and absences not counted as votes).
F. The Speaker shall certify the results of any vote within twenty-four (24) hours of the end of the voting period.
G. Any Representative may make a motion to suspend section 3A of this Standing Order to increase or decrease the time of the debate or voting period. The motion shall be immediately put to a vote on the Northeast Assembly floor. Such vote shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours, or until all Representatives have voted, if earlier. If the motion passes by a vote of the majority of all Representatives (with abstentions and absences counted as nay votes), the relevant period shall be changed.

4. Terminology
A. All legislation regarding the rules of the Northeast Assembly shall be called Standing Orders.
B. All proposed legislation that requires the signature of the Governor shall be called a Bill until signed and thereafter an Act.

5. Miscellaneous
A Northeast Assembly Protest and Analysis Thread shall be created and made open to Northeast citizens for the discussion of legislative proposals, debates, votes, and all other matters that relate to the Northeast government.

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:54 am »
Ignore

Hopefully, I have overlooked all mistakes. Id like to make sure we get such a big change right the first time. Smiley

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: February 27, 2012, 02:49:36 pm »
Ignore

Hopefully this SOAP will be followed entirely this time. Tongue

Remember that it might be ideal to include a provision that would allow the Assembly to table rogue legislation.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:34:40 pm by Senator Scott »Logged
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: February 28, 2012, 04:43:37 am »
Ignore

Requesting and granting a 24 hour extension of debate time. 

I do have several points to make when I come back, sorry for the delay.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: February 28, 2012, 04:54:59 pm »
Ignore

B. Each piece of legislation on the floor shall receive its own thread.

We'll be cluttering the regional board Smiley

B. During debate, Representatives may suggest amendments to proposed legislation. If the sponsor of the proposed legislation publicly deems the amendment friendly, no vote on the amendment shall be required. If the sponsor of the proposed legislation does not publicly deem the amendment friendly, a vote on the amendment shall be taken twenty-four (24) hours after being proposed unless there is less than twenty-four (24) hours of debate remaining on the bill. If there is less than twenty-four (24) hours of debate remaining on the bill, a vote on the amendment shall be taken before proceeding to a final vote on the bill. Such vote shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours, or until all Representatives have voted, if earlier. An amendment shall pass if a majority of Representatives vote in favor of it (with abstentions and absences not counted as votes).

Why not just vote on all amendments when debate is over?  It seems to be working well as of now..

G. Any Representative may make a motion to suspend section 3A of this Standing Order to increase or decrease the time of the debate or voting period. The motion shall be immediately put to a vote on the Northeast Assembly floor. Such vote shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours, or until all Representatives have voted, if earlier. If the motion passes by a vote of the majority of all Representatives (with abstentions and absences counted as nay votes), the relevant period shall be changed.

Finally.. why not incorporate this, which I think is better.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: February 28, 2012, 05:43:24 pm »
Ignore

1. I disagree. This change will make it easier to follow legislation and easier to update the Wiki. If people think this board is cluttered they can petition the Mideast to change their ways.

2. Because I think debates should last longer and be more like the Senate. The way it is now, there are competing amendments and what not.

3. Yeah, I'm for giving the Speaker more freedom to adjust debate times and have longer, more thorough debates when needed.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: February 28, 2012, 06:00:26 pm »
Ignore

Introducing an amendment to Section 3, subsection G for consideration;

The Speaker shall have the authority to extend or shorten the debating period or voting period upon the written request of any Representative.  No extension shall exceed 48 hours, and no shortening shall exceed 12 hours. 

Introducing an amendment to Section 3, subsection e

E. A final vote on the proposed legislation shall take place after the Speaker certifies the vote on any proposed amendments (or, if there are no such amendments, at the end of the debate period). Except as otherwise provided in subsection g, such votes shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours , or until all Representatives have voted, if earlier. A piece of proposed legislation shall pass if a majority of Representatives vote in favor of it (with abstentions and absences not counted as votes).

Also, I believe this has to be changed like so;

Except as otherwise provided in subsection (h) (G), all proposed legislation shall be open for debate for no less than seventy-two (72) hours after the Speaker places it in a Legislative Slot.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5595 on: February 29, 2012, 08:13:16 am »
Ignore

Are these three amendments acceptable, Napoleon?
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: February 29, 2012, 10:09:05 am »
Ignore

Can multiple extensions be given?

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: February 29, 2012, 11:12:30 am »
Ignore

Can multiple extensions be given?

The only rule regards the time of extension, and shortening.

Section 3, subsection (a) of the SOAP is hereby amended to read: All proposed legislation shall be open for debate for forty-eight (48) hours after the Lt. Governor places it on the Northeast Assembly floor. The Lt. Governor shall have the authority to extend or shorten the debating period upon the written request of any Representative. No extension of the debate period shall exceed 72 hours, and no shortening shall exceed 12 hours.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: February 29, 2012, 12:00:45 pm »
Ignore

Maybe make it "no single extension", and have a mechanism to force a vote if two representatives motion to.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: February 29, 2012, 05:49:32 pm »
Ignore

More like this..perhaps?  And the mechanism if two motions occur would be the Speakers ability to deny one of them..

The Speaker shall have the authority to extend or shorten the debating period or voting period upon the written request of any Representative.  Total debate time can never exceed 120 hours, and never be less than 36 hours.  

The other three Rep's should feel free to participate whenever.. 
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 ... 242 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout