Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:14:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 222 223 224 [225] 226 227 228 229 230 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377193 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5600 on: March 03, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is..withdrawn.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5601 on: March 03, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »

Debate time is expired.  We will now vote on the following amendments.  Please vote Aye, Nay, or abstain for each one.  This vote will last 24 hours, or until all members have voted.

1.  An amendment to Section 3, subsection G;

2.  An amendment to Section 3, subsection e

3.  An amendment to Section 3, subsection a
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5602 on: March 03, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »

Aye to all
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5603 on: March 03, 2012, 04:27:23 PM »

Aye to all three three amendments.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5604 on: March 04, 2012, 06:01:44 PM »

All amendments have passed and will be incorporated.  The Assembly will now vote on the final text.  This vote will last 24 hours, or until all members have voted.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #5605 on: March 04, 2012, 06:34:23 PM »

Nay.

The increasing partisanization of the role of Speaker and the marginalization of the assembly in favor of the executive are not trends that ought to be encouraged.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5606 on: March 04, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »

Nay.

The increasing partisanization of the role of Speaker and the marginalization of the assembly in favor of the executive are not trends that ought to be encouraged.

Please explain how the Assembly is being marginalized in favor of the executive.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5607 on: March 04, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »

Nay.

Please explain how the Assembly is being marginalized in favor of the executive.

Giving governor-introduced legislation (a bad idea in and of itself) priority over assembly-introduced legislation.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5608 on: March 04, 2012, 09:33:10 PM »

Nay.

Giving governor-introduced legislation (a bad idea in and of itself) priority over assembly-introduced legislation.

Governors have always been able to introduce legislation. Dedicating one of three slots to that purpose has no net negative effect on the Assembly's ability to pass legislation. I even reduced gubernatorial power by removing the executive from the amendment process.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5609 on: March 04, 2012, 09:39:53 PM »

Nay.

Governors have always been able to introduce legislation. Dedicating one of three slots to that purpose has no net negative effect on the Assembly's ability to pass legislation. I even reduced gubernatorial power by removing the executive from the amendment process.

Governors have not always been able to introduce legislation, under the old constitution the governor needed an assembly member to sponsor legislation for it to be considered.  This bill would mean that all gubernatorial legislation is considered immediately while assembly legislation is only considered in the order that the speaker decides and at his discretion.  I don't see what making the Assembly into essentially a rubber-stamp institution accomplishes.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5610 on: March 05, 2012, 02:14:20 AM »

You should check out the Old Constitution because you have been misinformed. This does not interfere with Assembly-introduced legislation relative to the status quo. I don't understand where you are coming from with your rubber stamp claim.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5611 on: March 05, 2012, 09:41:47 AM »

You should check out the Old Constitution because you have been misinformed. This does not interfere with Assembly-introduced legislation relative to the status quo. I don't understand where you are coming from with your rubber stamp claim.

I would check out the old constitution, if it hadn't been mysteriously deleted from the Wiki, although I would challenge you to provide a single example of legislation the governor introduced into the assembly that was not sponsored by an assemblyman on the governor's behalf (hint: you may spend a while looking).  Making the governor into a super-legislator who can not only propose legislation but give it precedence over all assembly-introduced legislation, and giving the Speaker the power to choose when and even if legislation is considered, gives those two offices complete control of the region.  In effect, it changes the Assembly into the Politburo - rather than a legislature that proposes laws, instead the executive proposes laws and then the assembly chooses whether to "veto" them (an ass-backwards and extremely authoritarian setup, hence why it was used in the Soviet government), and rather than an assembly that hears all points of view, it is restricted to the narrow interests of the Speaker, who can (and often will be) be elected with a majority of one.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5612 on: March 05, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »

Aye

I'm so glad these concerns were brought to light during our 5 days of debate.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5613 on: March 05, 2012, 11:09:37 AM »

Unfortunately, I have to put 20-page papers I have to write ahead of assembly debates, important as they may be.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5614 on: March 05, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »

Unfortunately, I have to put 20-page papers I have to write ahead of assembly debates, important as they may be.

Absolutely right, but somehow you rarely have anything to say until debate is over.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5615 on: March 05, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »

As opposed to certain individuals who never say anything at all?  Don't throw stones in glass houses.  If that's seriously the reason why you are voting for this despicable legislation that literally makes the Northeast a dictatorship, I have zero respect for you.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5616 on: March 05, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »

As opposed to certain individuals who never say anything at all?  Don't throw stones in glass houses.  If that's seriously the reason why you are voting for this despicable legislation that literally makes the Northeast a dictatorship, I have zero respect for you.

It has nothing to do with why I'm voting for this, actually.  And I assure you, I haven't ignored those who never say anything at all, and I think you know that.  This bill doesn't make the Northeast a "dictatorship", but beyond that, what respect you have for me or not doesn't matter in the least. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5617 on: March 05, 2012, 03:01:27 PM »

I will refer the Assembly to Article V, Section xi of the old Constitution for verification of my accuracy. I do not appreciate being called a liar.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5618 on: March 05, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »

So in a special election, do I take office immediately?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5619 on: March 05, 2012, 03:53:02 PM »

I will refer the Assembly to Article V, Section xi of the old Constitution for verification of my accuracy. I do not appreciate being called a liar.

I believe he was talking to the constitution before that. It somehow got deleted from the wiki.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5620 on: March 05, 2012, 06:46:31 PM »

Voting time has expired.  The ayes are two, and nays are one.  The bill has passed.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5621 on: March 05, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »

Was the Anti-Prohibition Act of 2012 ever actually signed?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5622 on: March 05, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »

All amendments have passed and will be incorporated.  The Assembly will now vote on the final text.  This vote will last 24 hours, or until all members have voted.

Why have you cut off voting before all members have voted?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5623 on: March 05, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »

24 hours have passed.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5624 on: March 05, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »

24 hours have passed.

Then the wording is misleading, 24 hours OR until ALL members have voted.

It should be worded

Until all members have voted or up to 24 hours.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 222 223 224 [225] 226 227 228 229 230 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies