Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:08:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 381449 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: February 23, 2011, 10:01:20 PM »

Who else do we need? FallenMorgan, Ghost_white, Rowan and Napoleon?

FallenMorgan and maybe Napoleon are the only ones likely to swear in, for obvious reasons.

I talked to Napoleon recently and he didn't even know what the assembly does. He said he wrote himself in because he didn't know anyone on the ballot.

True enough, but you didn't show me where it said I got elected or tell me where I needed to go. I found it on my own though. Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »

Who are we to decide what is or isn't a health hazard?
I see you included marijuana, which is legal for medicinal purposes in many states and likely will be in Connecticut soon. It makes no sense to have prescribed medications legislated as a health hazard, itself a vague term with no restrictions on application. Is a mountain bike or an automobile a health hazard that we will be taxing? I can't in good faith vote in favor of a tax system that is discriminatory against the poorest among us and those who are in need of medical assistance. Consequently, I think that our tax codes should be aimed at helping these people rise up and/or have the ability to get their medications at fair market costs rather than having sin taxes that are quite arbitrary and undefined.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 05:38:12 PM »

I swore in a few days I ago, I thought. I just copied sbane.
Thanks for letting me know the legal status of marijuana has been changed. I still contend that we should not be deciding which specific products should or should not be taxed, though I would be fine with general sales tax exemptions for necessities such as food. I would offer my own amendment but I lack the legal expertise in drafting statute free of loopholes or legal ambiguities.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:12:24 PM »

Could you clarify something for me, Jake? When you say no other taxes will be established other than the income tax, do you mean by the region or are you going to force the municipalities to do the same? Where do you suppose municipalities will get their money? How will the schools be paid for?

Just for the region, the municipalities will conduct their own ways of taxation.

As for schools, I personally support school choice but I would never propose or support legislation to defund public schools.

All right, that is good to hear. I still think we shouldn't get rid of sales taxes, so I will be voting for my amendment.

Sales taxes are useless, it's paying another few dollars and cents when money's already tight.

The same can be said for any form of taxation. Our job is still find the most effective way to balance revenue with expenditures without placing more of a burden than necessary on citizens. I will support sbane's amendment.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »

Aye on the amendment.

Nay on the original bill.

My vote would have been conditional, but since the vote is simultaneous I see no way to make it so.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 05:28:44 PM »

Unfriendly amendment (of those voting on the bill):

2 ayes, 1 nay, 2 abstaining

This amendment fails, having not received majority support from those voting on the bill.

Could someone please explain how an abstention affects the outcome of a vote? I wasn't aware that this was standard for any real legislature.

Aye on the new amendment.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 05:43:20 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2011, 05:46:08 PM by Napoleon »

Unfriendly amendment (of those voting on the bill):

2 ayes, 1 nay, 2 abstaining

This amendment fails, having not received majority support from those voting on the bill.

Could someone please explain how an abstention affects the outcome of a vote? I wasn't aware that this was standard for any real legislature.

If there are, say, ten members of a legislature and 2 of them vote "aye", 2 vote "nay" and 6 abstain, there is not a majority either way.

In this particular case it was 2-1, which is (obviously) a 2-1 majority among those expressing preference.

I guess what I'm asking is what kind of rule is preventing this body from operating the same way as the voting of most legislative bodies, assuming the quorum is met.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 02:25:45 PM »

Is this

You must be logged in to read this quote.
really suitable for "legislation"?

On another note, the penalties established are very minimal and I'd assume that they'd be meaningless to any kind of large company wealthy enough to advertise it's products on airwaves or such.

Wormyguy also makes a compelling argument, I support the notion of consumer protection but laws like this only complicate things, lead to more class action lawsuits, and make it really difficult for people to advertise. What would happen to Super Bowl commercials?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 05:36:11 PM »

Rather than including unnecessary examples of hypothetical situations in legislation, perhaps you can provide examples of these false advertisements that require our urgent attention? Smiley

I just find this to be wholly unnecessary and opening the door for a bunch of legal complications that serve no beneficial purpose to the consumer.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 07:52:02 PM »

Rather than including unnecessary examples of hypothetical situations in legislation, perhaps you can provide examples of these false advertisements that require our urgent attention? Smiley

I just find this to be wholly unnecessary and opening the door for a bunch of legal complications that serve no beneficial purpose to the consumer.

No beneficial purpose to the consumer? They're going to be able to feel safer when buying a product that they saw on TV, that's a benifit if you ask me. As for your point about legal complications, I can't make a rational rebuttal statement to that, but I personally think it is necessary for us to attempt to provide specific laws in the game of advertisement.

Let me clarify. Do you have any examples of a product being advertised falsely that hasn't been rectified by the market?

I will be voting no on this bill in any form unless it is modified substantially.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »

Why not tighten the inspection process in that case? That seems to be where your problem lies, not the advertising.

Seeing videos of ShamWows not working apparently was enough to make sure you didn't spend your money on one, if the information is that free and available I can't feel sorry for someone who buys ShamWows and gets disappointed, nor is it my business to determine whether a product is quality or not. It's not like there aren't other towels available.

Most of the examples you are citing have little to do with advertising, and even if they did, the penalties you propose aren't enough to make an impact. This bill should be withdrawn.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 04:24:39 PM »

Are we really going to refer to them as criminals?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »

Are we really going to refer to them as criminals?

If a person is arrested for a crime and is convicted, then yes, they are a criminal.

5) Furthermore, criminals shall have the right to remain silent when arrested, as well as rights to personal property that shall not be searched without a search warrant signed by a licensed law official.

6) Criminals shall also have the right to be innocent until proven guilty.

7) A criminal shall keep these inaliable rights under any circumstance.

All of this seems to be before any kind of conviction takes place.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 04:50:39 PM »

Section 9 reads like something that would be frequently abused by authorities.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 05:26:20 PM »

I think we should remove section 9.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 01:13:40 AM »

Nay

Can anyone lead to me the rent laws of this region?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 02:15:44 PM »

We never brought our previous work to a final vote. Can we just let this die already before moving on?

I'll make my feelings on the Lt. Governor known in a few minutes.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »

I vote Nay, and I think it would be best to have a left-wing Lt. Governor since we have a right-wing Governor.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »

I was thinking of homelycooking, but Marokai would be great too, I think.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 03:34:51 PM »

Ideally my amendment will pass and this issue will disappear.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »

I think you've indirectly forfeited the position, Rowan.

I would think that he would have resigned by default upon becoming a Senator.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 08:50:15 PM »

Nay
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 08:57:16 PM »

Actually, I'm switching my vote to nay unless the measure is amended to refer solely to public schools.

Or better yet mandate it but exempt private schools.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »

Are we ever going to fill the Lieutenant Governor position? That had to have been discussed at least a week ago and we still have taken no formal action.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »

Homelycooking has informed me that he is willing to serve, but would like to see the position eventually abolished. I'd be perfectly happy with that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies