Is it hypocritical to have a Che poster in your cubicle for a Fortune500 company
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:37:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is it hypocritical to have a Che poster in your cubicle for a Fortune500 company
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is it hypocritical to have a Che poster in your cubicle for a Fortune500 company?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Is it hypocritical to have a Che poster in your cubicle for a Fortune500 company  (Read 1884 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:47:51 PM »

This describes one of my co-workers. His backgrounds on his computer he has set to alternate, and they vary between women in bikinis or communist insignia.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 12:02:02 AM »

Most certainly.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 12:40:50 AM »

It's hypocritical to have Che anything.  The last thing he'd want is the commercialization of his image and ignorance of his message in favor of following him because it's trendy.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 12:54:25 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2009, 12:56:07 AM by paul718 »

No.  It makes you interesting.  Like Jay-Z said, "I'm like Che Guevara with bling on...I'm complex."

Tongue
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 01:01:35 AM »

It's hypocritical to have Che anything.  The last thing he'd want is the commercialization of his image and ignorance of his message in favor of following him because it's trendy.
It does make it a lot easier to spot douchebags.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 01:06:57 AM »

This guy isn't a douchebag. He's awesome and very helpful to fellow employees. Spotting douchebags is easy though, just look for any shirt with Greek letters on it.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 02:15:22 AM »

This guy isn't a douchebag. He's awesome and very helpful to fellow employees. Spotting douchebags is easy though, just look for any shirt with Greek letters on it.

Exhibit A for the argument that ignorance is bliss.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »

Not particularly, because capitalism appropriated Che's irritating image long ago.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 07:12:13 PM »

Poor, murderous Che.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 07:13:33 PM »

Yes.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 07:33:55 PM »

Of course it is.  It is also a good sign of bourgeoisie mores.  There is some vague notion of wanting to rebel against something but being too immersed in the consumer culture to really care or want to do anything about it.  Outside of the religiosity/racism, I suspect that Che probably had more in common with a Randy Weaver type than your fellow cubicle drone. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 05:42:20 AM »

Its fine, though he should strive at every opportunity to sabotage the company.  If he isn't putting his money where his mouth is, he's something of a sad figure.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 05:54:32 AM »

Not particularly, because capitalism appropriated Che's irritating image long ago.

ftw
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 08:53:54 AM »

Of course it is.  It is also a good sign of bourgeoisie mores.  There is some vague notion of wanting to rebel against something but being too immersed in the consumer culture to really care or want to do anything about it.  Outside of the religiosity/racism, I suspect that Che probably had more in common with a Randy Weaver type than your fellow cubicle drone. 

This. And what Earth said.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 09:00:46 AM »

Exactly.  In fact, I was going to say it's almost the opposite of hypocritical.  Particularly if your friend wishes to create an altar to money grubbing.  But then, my guess is, he has posted Che simply because he is under the delusion that it makes him cool.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 10:48:25 AM »

Its fine, though he should strive at every opportunity to sabotage the company.  If he isn't putting his money where his mouth is, he's something of a sad figure.

The problem is that sabotage of the company would come at the benefit of people who are dumbs, and dumbs who are quite rude to us. That leaves us inclined to defend the company. It's psychological.

At least Apple donated money against Prop 8 though.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »

Jay-Z wears a jacket with an image of Mao in his newest video.

That is Mao, isn't it?

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 03:59:40 AM »

A Mao and Elmer Fudd mix.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 09:12:21 PM »

Best idea.  Keep politics out of workplaces.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 06:12:23 AM »

The problem is that sabotage of the company would come at the benefit of people who are dumbs, and dumbs who are quite rude to us. That leaves us inclined to defend the company. It's psychological.

Who now?  I mean who benefits if the company is sabotaged?  I don't really see much direct benefit for anyone, its just a chance to try to get a bit of revenge against those who are enslaving you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 09:04:30 PM »

Best idea.  Keep politics out of workplaces.

Too overwhelmingly liberal at mine to matter. Several Obama posters, including one from the guy in question.

Who now?  I mean who benefits if the company is sabotaged?  I don't really see much direct benefit for anyone, its just a chance to try to get a bit of revenge against those who are enslaving you.

Here's an example: I once got a call from some guy screaming and swearing at me like he did to the previous rep who escalated the call. He had shattered the screen on his iPhone and was told the cost to replace it. He refused to pay it. His argument was that he wasn't informed when he purchased the phone that the screen could shatter if dropped. It's tough to have sympathy for anyone THAT stupid, especially if said dumb is swearing his head off at you and just making your job a stressful mess. We all hate dumbass customers for that reason. I could've given him a replacement for free, at the expense of Apple and to his benefit. But I didn't. This guy wasn't making things pleasant for me, nor did he deserve anything for being an idiot, so why?

If customers are legitimately wronged or are polite, I'll help them out at the company's expense. But I'm never going to reward someone for being a rude, obnoxious asshole and making things more difficult for me.

Everyone should take that as advice when calling customer service or tech support by the way. You will NOT get anything special by being a giant jackass and showing "how angry you are". (Also threatening a lawsuit will never ever help you in any way. Ever. Nor will it scare the person on the other end who has heard it a thousand times. And if you actually have a legitimate claim to one, you should be talking to a lawyer, not someone in a call center.)
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 06:24:17 PM »

Sometimes people just like that photo.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies