Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 11:24:03 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Torie, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Opinion of these protestors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: And why?
Freedom Fighters   -11 (84.6%)
Horrible People   -2 (15.4%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Opinion of these protestors  (Read 1602 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2009, 09:21:09 pm »
Ignore

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091001/ap_on_re_us/us_empire_state_building_china

See above.

Clearly the solution is to privatize presidential elections.

So, in less than four years, get excited for the 2016 MetLife Financial U Pick The Prez Extravaganza. If you tweet a picture of your completed ballot with the hashtag #ivoted, you could win a trip for two to the inauguration or an iTunes gift card.
Alexander Hamilton
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:22:12 pm »
Ignore

China sucks.

FFs! to the max!

people suck
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:22:33 pm »
Ignore

My opinion, of course, is obvious.

Clearly the solution is to privatize presidential elections.

So, in less than four years, get excited for the 2016 MetLife Financial U Pick The Prez Extravaganza. If you tweet a picture of your completed ballot with the hashtag #ivoted, you could win a trip for two to the inauguration or an iTunes gift card.
IDS Judicial Overlord PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:48:59 pm »
Ignore

True freedom fighters. Free Tibet!

The Age Wave
silent_spade07
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 10:04:01 pm »
Ignore

I didn't know libertarians could be reasonable. Thanks for proving me wrong! Cheesy

Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 10:07:51 pm »
Ignore

I didn't know libertarians could be reasonable. Thanks for proving me wrong! Cheesy

Well the Tibet protestors are protesting New York City's approval of a Communist Totalitarian regime, why wouldn't libertarians approve of such a protest?

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:09:09 pm »
Ignore

Meh. If this hurts trade with China, HP.

Life is change --
How it differs from the rocks
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

- Jefferson Airplane, "Crown of Creation"

The right to die in Iraq was a right not previously possessed by Americans for twelve long years.  Bush rectified that.
Alexander Hamilton
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 10:10:20 pm »
Ignore

Meh. If this hurts trade with China, HPFF.

people suck
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 10:13:08 pm »
Ignore

Although I approve of the Tibet protests, wanting bad trade relations with other nations is crazy.

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 10:13:08 pm »
Ignore

FF.

Governor PiT
Robert Stark
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 10:13:33 pm »
Ignore

China sucks.

FFs! to the max!

I DON'T SUPPORT ISRAEL'S RIGHT TO EXIST, I'M A HAMAS PALESTINIAN COMMIE LOVER LOL.
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 10:13:55 pm »
Ignore

Why? Protip: trade is by far the greatest factor in encouraging authoritarian nations to change.

Life is change --
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

The right to die in Iraq was a right not previously possessed by Americans for twelve long years.  Bush rectified that.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 10:19:30 pm »
Ignore

trade is by far the greatest factor in encouraging authoritarian nations to change.

what is this i don't even
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 10:20:59 pm »
Ignore

trade is by far the greatest factor in encouraging authoritarian nations to change.

You need only look at perestroika for confirmation of this rule: authoritarian nations, when placed under the democratizing pressures of the international market, either fold or change before the influence of democratic First World nations. 

Life is change --
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:23:29 pm »
Ignore

You need only look at perestroika for confirmation of this rule: authoritarian nations, when placed under the democratizing pressures of the international market, either fold or change before the influence of democratic First World nations. 

democratizing pressures of the international market?

what is that i don't even
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 10:25:42 pm »
Ignore

The Soviet Union didn't fall because of Reagan's ludicrous defense spending, conservative whining to the contrary. It fell because it underwent massive trade liberalization in the 1980s, and its inefficient authoritarian domestic economy couldn't compete with the economies of the Western democracies.

Life is change --
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 10:29:51 pm »
Ignore

The Soviet Union didn't fall because of Reagan's ludicrous defense spending, conservative whining to the contrary. It fell because it underwent massive trade liberalization in the 1980s, and its inefficient authoritarian domestic economy couldn't compete with the economies of the Western democracies.

China's authoritarian economy can compete with the economies of the Western democracies.
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 10:31:39 pm »
Ignore

China's authoritarian economy can compete with the economies of the Western democracies.

Not internally, which is why the flow of trade from China is one-way. If trade in the Chinese interior were liberalized to foreign markets, it would collapse rapidly.

Life is change --
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 10:35:12 pm »
Ignore

Not internally, which is why the flow of trade from China is one-way. If trade in the Chinese interior were liberalized to foreign markets, it would collapse rapidly.

Too bad it will not liberalize.
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 10:37:17 pm »
Ignore

It would if it were pressured to do so. But our Republican representatives, who are oh so in favor of free trade, have no desire to do so, because keeping China around as a boogeyman helps to keep defense spending high. And the Democrats would be made to look weak on the issue.

Life is change --
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 10:49:13 pm »
Ignore

It would if it were pressured to do so. But our Republican representatives, who are oh so in favor of free trade, have no desire to do so, because keeping China around as a boogeyman helps to keep defense spending high. And the Democrats would be made to look weak on the issue.

How do we pressure them into liberalizing?
Alexander Hamilton
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 10:49:55 pm »
Ignore

Or maybe the Democrats are unabashed corporatist bastards who'd rather have their buddies make a few dollars off it?

people suck
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 10:53:43 pm »
Ignore

How do we pressure them into liberalizing?

Through diplomatic and economic pressure. Sell directly to the Hui and the Uyghur and the Tibetans and expand our aid packages to Taiwan, and offer to cut it off if China liberalizes its trade relations.

Life is change --
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 12:51:27 am »
Ignore

I oppose the PRC on principle, but why should Tibet be "freed"?

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout