Abortion Rights Support Slipping...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:56:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion Rights Support Slipping...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Abortion Rights Support Slipping...  (Read 4043 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:57:22 PM »
« edited: October 01, 2009, 10:01:56 PM by Nine-Fingered Frodo »

If things keep going as they seem to be, I can see the Supreme Court eventually overturning Roe vs. Wade and Planned Parenthood vs. Casey -they will have more support to draw upon for their decision:

Poll: Abortion-rights support shrinking

By MICHAEL FALCONE   
| 10/1/09 5:01 PM EDT

The proportion of Americans who support abortion rights is shrinking, according to a new poll released Thursday.

A poll by the Pew Research Center found that 47 percent of Americans said abortion should be legal in all or most cases — a 7-point drop from a survey conducted by the organization one year ago. An additional 45 percent said abortion should be illegal — up 4 points from last year.

The survey also found that 41 percent of Americans said they favor making it more difficult to have an abortion and 59 percent said it would be good to reduce the number of abortions — both measures are up 6 points from last year.

The Pew findings largely track with a Gallup survey from May showing that a majority of Americans now call themselves “pro-life.” While the number of pro-life Americans rose to 51 percent in 2009 — a 7-point spike from the year before — those who said they were “pro-choice” slipped from 50 percent to 42 percent during the same period, the Gallup survey found.

According to Pew pollsters, no single factor explains the recent change in public opinion, but they said the election of President Barack Obama, a supporter of abortion rights, was likely a driving force.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 10:12:24 PM »

I find it odd that the numbers changed so much in just one year.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 10:16:17 PM »

It appears to be some sort of Obama effect, with pro choicers becoming less anxious about Roe being overturned.

Note that one question not asked in the poll was Roe, and based on previous surveys, the public seems to be more protective (in some cases far more protective) of Roe the case than abortion rights in substance. Strangely enough (or perhaps not), Roe might be stronger in support than abortion rights itself because the public sees overturning it as a step back. As such, the Court would be wise to stick to moderate tinkering here and there as it did in 1989.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 10:45:04 PM »

I find it odd that the numbers changed so much in just one year.

In other words, no, it didn't change, and any poll suggesting otherwise is ridiculous. Now, if there had been some especially grisly case of an abortion gone wrong in the new last week, I could see this result being reasonable, but otherwise positions on a issue that have been so incredibly stable for so long do not change rapidly without a reason behind them.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 02:19:41 PM »

In other words, "Be like me! Be like me! I'll make sure you believe in and behave exactly what and as I do, and I'll use the force of the State to guarantee it!"

Never stop being a pissant authoritarian, Frodo.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »

This poll has a lot less effect upon whether or not abortion is 'legal' than would some fortuitous aneurysm in one of the five fascists on the court during Obama's remaining tenure in office, P.A. Frodo.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 02:37:25 PM »

In other words, "Be like me! Be like me! I'll make sure you believe in and behave exactly what and as I do, and I'll use the force of the State to guarantee it!"

Never stop being a pissant authoritarian, Frodo.

Thus spake Einzige.

Yeah. I mean, surely I understand I don't fit into your Union of Soviet Reaganist Republics for a reason - I actually have an opinion that I didn't steal from somewhere else. And that hurts (you), because independent thinking hurts (you). So much more convenient to get all the answers from a Book, or a political party platform.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 03:34:10 AM »

Here's what Gallup found, in a slightly differently worded question:

Do you think abortions should be legal under any circumstances, legal only under certain circumstances, or illegal in all circumstances?

Legal            Legal only        Illegal in all        No
                                 under any     under certain    circumstances  opinion
                              circumstances  circumstances
                                      %                    %                      %                %

2009 May 7-10              22                   53                     23                2

2008 May 8-11              28                   54                     17                2

Change                         - 6                   - 1                   + 6                0

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 06:44:33 PM »

If things keep going as they seem to be, I can see the Supreme Court eventually overturning Roe vs. Wade and Planned Parenthood vs. Casey -they will have more support to draw upon for their decision:

Poll: Abortion-rights support shrinking

By MICHAEL FALCONE   
| 10/1/09 5:01 PM EDT

Fixed.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »

Welcome news, but irrelevant. The majority does not have the right to deprive the right to life from another group of human beings any more than the minority does.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 12:24:41 PM »

Frodo and Carl using silly polls to make their points......  Roll Eyes
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »

Meh, it fluctuates. I wouldn't worry just yet.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 03:29:35 PM »

Abortion should be kept legal. It dramatically reduces crime rates in the future.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 03:37:52 PM »

Abortion should be kept legal. It dramatically reduces crime rates in the future.

That's Bollocks.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 03:48:22 PM »

That's Bollocks.

Not surprised, you're Irish.

And no it isn't. It's fact.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 07:50:39 AM »

That's Bollocks.

Would you mind proving this hate filled "fact" please?

And remember kids, Correlation is not Causation.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 09:00:48 AM »

That's Bollocks.

ns cause all crime. Duh.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »

That's Bollocks.

ns cause all crime. Duh.
Er, no. That's not the argument. "Unwanted children cause crime" is the argument. There is, of course, a logical jump between "commit" and "cause" that the argument doesn't address, and it uses the police/tabloid press definition rather than the law code definition of crime (as any crime count based on police statistics will, given the <1% detection rate of most white collar crimes).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »

On a related note:

Incidence of certain crimes (coming to police notice) in Frankfurt, 1721-5, 1741-5, 1761-5, 1781-5, 1801-5. Not sure why the author of the study chose those particular years.

Murder and manslaughter - 39 (17 of them in 1741-5.)
Infanticide - 29 (not included above)
Abandonment of infants (including ones not found until after their death) - 36
Abortion (note the bit about this being police statistics) - 4.
Ah, the good ole days before legal abortion and contraception.

Oh, and btw: Suicide - 36. Getting noticeably more common throughout the century. Nowadays, of course, Germany's suicide rate is ten times the homicide rate.
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 06:41:32 PM »

I disagree with Roe V. Wade. I believe there should be restrictions on abortion. However, I do not believe it should be outlawed all together. In the cases of rape and incest, should a woman really have to go through all of that? However, if you have unprotected intercourse with your significant other, then that's too bad.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »

I disagree with Roe V. Wade. I believe there should be restrictions on abortion. However, I do not believe it should be outlawed all together.
That's agreeing with Roe V. Wade. People always get that confused. The case you want is Doe V. Bolton.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 07:41:40 PM »

This is why it's an issue for the states, or atleast why it should be.  The number of people who support or oppose abortion rights fluctuates from state to state.  It may be greater in, for example, Massachusetts, but not in Alabama.  This is why we have the Tenth Amendment.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 12:18:28 AM »

This is why it's an issue for the states, or atleast why it should be.  The number of people who support or oppose abortion rights fluctuates from state to state.  It may be greater in, for example, Massachusetts, but not in Alabama.  This is why we have the Tenth Amendment.

People who say it should be left to the states when tlaking about their position annoy me. You're not federal politicians running for office. Do you think it should be legal or illegal?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 12:28:42 AM »

Let me guess... The Pro-Lifers are the same ones who get a hard on for executing legally retarded prisoners, right?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 12:35:26 AM »

People who say it should be left to the states when tlaking about their position annoy me. You're not federal politicians running for office. Do you think it should be legal or illegal?

I'm actually pro-choice.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies