Abortion Rights Support Slipping...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:09:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion Rights Support Slipping...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Abortion Rights Support Slipping...  (Read 4032 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 10:27:50 PM »
« edited: October 19, 2009, 10:30:49 PM by Flyers2010 »

This is why it's an issue for the states, or atleast why it should be.  The number of people who support or oppose abortion rights fluctuates from state to state.  It may be greater in, for example, Massachusetts, but not in Alabama.  This is why we have the Tenth Amendment.

People who say it should be left to the states when tlaking about their position annoy me. You're not federal politicians running for office. Do you think it should be legal or illegal?

Agreed.  Now, what about states like Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania where the majority of the populace is pro-choice, but their legislatures are some of the worst in the country on this issue due to clever GOP inspired legislative districting.  They are 3 PRIME examples of why the "States' Rights" argument is BS.

Overturning Roe v. Wade would be a Godsend to the Democrats in PA because a lot of still anti-choice GOP legislators in the Philadelphia suburbs would now have tougher re-elections.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »

maybe it wouldn't slip if we stopped killing people who supported it. Tongue
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 11:43:16 PM »

Who is killing the pro abortionists other than whack job fundamentalists?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 12:09:58 AM »

Though I am absolutely, 100 percent personally opposed to abortion, if there is one conclusion that I am come to it is that making it illegal would do almost nothing to prevent it from occurring.  It would just drive it underground, and you would have more women performing self-abortions, which don't require a coat hanger, but can still be dangerous.  Roman women performed abortions themselves, as did Greeks, and on and on.  We should devote our energies toward finding another means of stopping it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »

Abortion should be kept legal. It dramatically reduces crime rates in the future.

That's Bollocks.

Not surprised, you're Irish.

And no it isn't. It's fact.

That's funny, because I am the child of an unwed mother, and I haven't committed a felony.  Nor has anyone else I know who was born into similar circumstances.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 12:43:20 AM »

Anecdotal evidence = fact!

Yay!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 01:06:55 AM »

Extremely thin correlations imply whatever I want them to prove my radical argument...

Yay!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2009, 01:09:30 AM »

Extremely thin correlations imply whatever I want them to prove my radical argument...

Yay!

In fact, if you can even put forward enough evidence to demonstrate correlation, I would concede the argument to you.  You don't have it.  You are basing your argument off of far less evidence than myself.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2009, 11:22:59 AM »

Who is killing the pro abortionists other than whack job fundamentalists?
that is who. Tongue
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 11:26:18 AM »

They're not lessening support for abortion.
titaniumtux
Rookie
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: 9.10, S: -5.13

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 11:21:57 PM »

Indeed the legality of abortions is not so much the issue (if illegal it'll happen anyway), but it is made so convenient and available at no cost in many locales. It should never be promoted as "the easy way out of a pregnancy". Adoption centers should be swarming universities, however leftist authorities usually won't let them do that, because they don't want women to feel judged (not like this makes any sense to me).

Granted children raised by single parents are more likely to get involved in crime, however ending abortions does not mean more single parents, nor does it mean that we'll be going back to the orphanage business. With three-plus year waiting lists for adoption, I'm sure the next generation could have many more well-educated professionals raised by financially stable adoptive and loving parents in exchange for not killing them off in the womb when they are vulnerable.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 11:26:08 PM »

Indeed the legality of abortions is not so much the issue (if illegal it'll happen anyway), but it is made so convenient and available at no cost in many locales. It should never be promoted as "the easy way out of a pregnancy". Adoption centers should be swarming universities, however leftist authorities usually won't let them do that, because they don't want women to feel judged (not like this makes any sense to me).

Granted children raised by single parents are more likely to get involved in crime, however ending abortions does not mean more single parents, nor does it mean that we'll be going back to the orphanage business. With three-plus year waiting lists for adoption, I'm sure the next generation could have many more well-educated professionals raised by financially stable adoptive and loving parents in exchange for not killing them off in the womb when they are vulnerable.

In other words: "Liberty - except for..."

Or: "Your right of self-ownership doesn't exist, but it does for me."
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 12:39:01 AM »

The conflict within libertarianism is who's liberty matters more.  That of the mother, or the fetus.  I tend to side with the former, because I'm a godless heathen and all.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies