If George McGovern had been elected President in 1972...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:24:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If George McGovern had been elected President in 1972...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If George McGovern had been elected President in 1972...  (Read 1352 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2009, 07:58:28 AM »

... might we have had a head-start in the area of alternative energy technologies? He was, as I vaguely recall from Nixonland, very much into the book The Greening of America.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:59:05 AM »

America would be a wondeful land. Cheesy
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 01:06:35 PM »

McGovern was very well read (he has a Ph.D in history), but environmentalism wasn't one of his signature issues.  That was Muskie and Udall territory.  You probably would have seen a beefed-up Food for Peace program, among other initiatives, but I haven't seen much hard evidence to suggest that he would have been 'an environment president.'

I did, though, conduct an interview with him in September '08 and he told me that he would have used the bully pulpit as president to bring the problem of alcoholism to the fore.  Both his brother and his daughter Terry struggled with the disease throughout their lives, and it ultimately led to Terry's untimely death in 1994.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 01:31:52 AM »

The Reagan Revolution would have come in 1976 and squashed on the weight of McGovern finally ending it in Vietnam and never heard from again.

Or, McGovern would have been assassinated as most people who would be good for society usually are, and we have an awkward Sargent Shriver Presidency.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »

...that would have been awesome!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 09:39:29 AM »

Yes, definitely.

Also, if Carter had been reelected in 1980, we certainly would have. He was in the process of implementing such a program, which was canceled and reversed by Reagan. The results of 1980 are in fact probably more responsible for the problems we have today than any election since (though 2000 is a close runner up).
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 01:18:08 PM »

... might we have had a head-start in the area of alternative energy technologies? He was, as I vaguely recall from Nixonland, very much into the book The Greening of America.

Oh yeah we would have all our cars run on granola oil by now with peace signs and flowers on them.  HAHAHA maybe they could run on pot fumes.

Macgovern was a scumbag traitor.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 05:19:52 PM »

Oh yeah we would have all our cars run on granola oil by now with peace signs and flowers on them.  HAHAHA maybe they could run on pot fumes.

Macgovern was a scumbag traitor.

Those distinguished flying cross recipients really are a bunch of traitors to America.  Go back into your hole.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »

Macgovern was a scumbag traitor freedom fighter.

Those distinguished flying cross recipients really are a bunch of traitors to America.  Go back into your hole.

If only more Democrats were like George McGovern I might be a hardcore Democrat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies