VA: Survey USA: McDonnell Leads VA by 11%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:26:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA: Survey USA: McDonnell Leads VA by 11%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA: Survey USA: McDonnell Leads VA by 11%  (Read 3660 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:14:04 PM »

New Poll: Virginia Governor by Survey USA on 2009-10-04

Summary: D: 43%, R: 54%, U: 4%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

If the election for Virginia governor were today, would you vote for... (candidate names rotated) Republican Bob McDonnell? Or Democrat Creigh Deeds?

McDonnell (R) - 54%

Deeds (D) - 43%

Undecided - 4%
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:30:36 AM »

Game over. Sad
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 12:08:51 PM »

Looks about right. Too bad right in this case also equals gross. Sad
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 12:11:18 PM »

sample is gop + 5
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 12:24:08 PM »

Meh. "Republican GAIN from Democrat"
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »

Poor Ben. Sad
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 04:11:53 PM »

fine you rethuglicans. you get virginia. but we will have the last laugh in new jersey.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 05:32:15 PM »

fine you rethuglicans. you get virginia. but we will have the last laugh in new jersey.

Papers will say "Split Decision" instead of "Republicans on the Rise". I can live with that.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 05:50:23 PM »

Papers will say "Split Decision" instead of "Republicans on the Rise". I can live with that.

The two races, in terms of numbers, are the opposite of what we thought a few months ago.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 05:56:25 PM »

Not that it matters to the actual outcome, but I still don't buy SUSA's likely voter sample here. I think it should be more like 49-48 McCain, and probably an overall result of 51-45.  That would still be a bit more republican than PPP's sample. At the end of the day I feel that local tax initiatives will bring out Northern VA Democrats if Deeds can't, and the fact that Surveyusa only polls the statewide races is producing a more Republican sample than will actually occur.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 09:45:14 PM »

It will be interesting to see how NoVA votes this year. We'll see just how partisan this trend really is. As for both VA and NJ, I had always thought NJ would be tougher for a GOP pickup, it just goes without question when compared with VA.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 07:11:23 AM »

It will be interesting to see how NoVA votes this year. We'll see just how partisan this trend really is. As for both VA and NJ, I had always thought NJ would be tougher for a GOP pickup, it just goes without question when compared with VA.

I've been using 2005's results as a baseline, since it was literally a 50/50 split:

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=51&year=2005&f=0&off=9

Alexandria/Arlington/Falls Church are reliably 70% Dem, Fairfax tends to go 55-60% Dem, and Prince William/Loudoun have become swing counties. Deeds didn't win either of the last two last year, so even if he ekes out a win, I doubt he'd win either. He'll still win Fairfax, but probably on the low end of the 55-60%.

Incidentally, the last statewide Republican candidate to win Fairfax was Jerry Kilgore in 2001, but he only won by about 5% while blowing out Don McEachin 60-40 statewide.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 02:44:06 PM »

I sound like a broken record, but this is not over.  Deeds will win the only poll that matters.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 04:06:14 PM »

I sound like a broken record, but this is not over.  Deeds will win the only poll that matters.

What is this based on? What are you seeing that we aren't?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 05:44:55 PM »

Deeds is blasting ads in Northern Virginia, attacking McDonnell.  He only needs to keep up his 2005 numbers in NOVA to win the election, and the region has swung to the Democrats since then.  Ultimately, he will manage the votes he needs.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »

Deeds is blasting ads in Northern Virginia, attacking McDonnell.  He only needs to keep up his 2005 numbers in NOVA to win the election, and the region has swung to the Democrats since then.  Ultimately, he will manage the votes he needs.

I guess all of the polling is just completely wrong then.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 06:10:52 PM »

Does Deeds have more money or something? I am sure Mcdonnell is blasting ads as well. But maybe it's only in "real Virginia" since its more cost effective.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 06:16:46 PM »

Does Deeds have more money or something? I am sure Mcdonnell is blasting ads as well. But maybe it's only in "real Virginia" since its more cost effective.

McDonnell is running ads in NOVA, as well, but not nearly as many as Deeds.  Plus, Deeds is running ads that are attacking McDonnell, and that's what matters.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 10:53:13 PM »

McDonnell is running ads in NOVA, as well, but not nearly as many as Deeds.  Plus, Deeds is running ads that are attacking McDonnell, and that's what matters.

Candidates do tend to do that when they're far behind.
Stampever
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 08:22:13 AM »

Candidates do tend to do that when they're far behind.

Agreed.  The negative campaign worked well over the Summer, but hammering the same message for months after the peek just shows that there is no deeper substance to the candidate, especially when they are nearly 10 points behind.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 04:47:59 PM »

From what I'm seeing, they're running about the same number of ads. And McDonnell is running plenty of ads attacking Deeds as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies