Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:48:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act  (Read 17986 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 08:26:43 PM »

Because the Northeast isn't exactly well off and we deserve a Senator who will fight for us, not fail regions that can't modernize their economies.

By that logic, Tmthforu94 should be defeated.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 08:33:35 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2009, 08:44:25 PM by PASOK Leader Hashemite »

Because the Northeast isn't exactly well off and we deserve a Senator who will fight for us, not fail regions that can't modernize their economies.

I'm sorry, but we're the best regions in terms of economic numbers. Lowest unemployment and a balanced budget.

Again, since people don't seem to bother reading what I said a million times, I just introduced this to get the ball rolling, and as said above:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 08:43:54 PM »

I'm sorry, but we're the best regions in terms of economic numbers. Lowest unemployment and a balanced budget.

Hey now, the Pacific is close behind. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 08:49:45 PM »

Well, obviously you don't want to make a positive impact on the region if you aren't willing to embrace progress. You prefer to keep the Mideast and Atlasia as a whole at a huge disadvantage by constantly fighting against free trade agreements that will provide economic oppurtunities for Mideasterners. Mideasterners will be selling their goods at cheaper prices with the free trade agreements you always oppose. Oh, you do support one with Israel though. I wonder why?
(That's how you point an opponents weaknesses out with some substance, btw)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »

That was a year ago. And with comments such as wanting to burn Tehran to the ground, I think it is very obvious that you strongly support Israel.

It's really sad that you're having to resort to name calling. Sad That won't get you anywhere in life.

Also, NC Yank wants to say In the future currency values will make opposition to trade by Pro-Labor people as absolete as the Model T but knows it won't be posted for hours thanks to the mods...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 09:28:53 PM »

That was a year ago. And with comments such as wanting to burn Tehran to the ground, I think it is very obvious that you strongly support Israel.

Yes, I strongly support Israel.  However, you are deceiving people by saying that I support Israel at the expense of Atlasia, or that I support an FTA with them, when I don't.  You're lying, and that is why I'm angry; I expected better of you.

It's really sad that you're having to resort to name calling. Sad That won't get you anywhere in life.

Also, NC Yank wants to say In the future currency values will make opposition to trade by Pro-Labor people as absolete as the Model T but knows it won't be posted for hours thanks to the mods...

I also agree that Yank shouldn't be on mod review, off-topic though that is.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 10:02:58 PM »

Uhhh that quote has nothing to do with FTA's, it is about the GTO which is a treaty organization which has nothing to do with FTAs.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 10:07:40 PM »

Thats why we in the South need the money we are getting and the Mideast needs there share, to modernise.

I hope this passes. I have some good plans for the $22 Billion the DS will get. I don't know if the Stimulus will allow us to spend it on new things(since we have very little already) but I was hoping to take $5 to $10 billion and introduce an iniative that would create dozens of scholarships, and grants for college(For 4 year, 2 year and technical colleges as well); invest in scientific research to like Biomed and Biomass; and invest in some building some new high schools. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 10:07:41 PM »

And your not a California elitist? Trust me, it shows.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 10:07:42 PM »

Which is precisely my point-- why do you guys get twice as much money from a bill written by the NE Senator, even though your unemployment is pretty much EQUAL?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 10:07:42 PM »

Well, obviously you don't want to make a positive impact on the region if you aren't willing to embrace progress. You prefer to keep the Mideast and Atlasia as a whole at a huge disadvantage by constantly fighting against free trade agreements that will provide economic oppurtunities for Mideasterners. Mideasterners will be selling their goods at cheaper prices with the free trade agreements you always oppose. Oh, you do support one with Israel though. I wonder why?
(That's how you point an opponents weaknesses out with some substance, btw)

Remember our currency is traded in relation to the RL dollar and since it is falling fast the idea that trade hurts Manufacturing is going to be obsolete. Trade will actually benefit Manufacturing in the future.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 10:08:08 PM »

You have at least spelled obsolete right. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 10:08:09 PM »

Yes, I strongly support Israel.  However, you are deceiving people by saying that I support Israel at the expense of Atlasia, or that I support an FTA with them, when I don't.  You're lying, and that is why I'm angry; I expected better of you.

I also agree that Yank shouldn't be on mod review, off-topic though that is.

Thanks for the consideration. Leip said I only have "short time" to wait before it expires.

"Short Time" sounds almost terminal doesn't it. Wink  "You only have a short time, whereas you have a little while. Just a little while longer."   Okay thats enough George Carlin for one night.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 11:24:18 PM »

The Office of the GM fully supports the premise and substance of this bill.

The needs of the regions are not up for debate. The condition of the Mideast is not just a regional problem, left to be dealt with by its Assembly and regional Senator. The situation is rapidly becoming a national economic catastrophe and is standing in the way of any broad national recovery from the current recession. Strong actions such as this are not only proper, but necessary and I urge the Senate to pass this bill quickly so as to limit confusion about allocation of funds from the recovery act.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2009, 06:27:56 AM »

Uhhh that quote has nothing to do with FTA's, it is about the GTO which is a treaty organization which has nothing to do with FTAs.
I know, HW, I was just pointing out that Ben is pro-Israel. Wink

And also, Ben, please cut the crap that you expected better from me. I have kept this debate on political issues the entire time. You're the one who got personal.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2009, 06:58:47 AM »

Which is precisely my point-- why do you guys get twice as much money from a bill written by the NE Senator, even though your unemployment is pretty much EQUAL?

They, unlike us, have a deficit. 

But for the millionth time, I have nothing against an equal distribution of money between regions. What I do have something against is doing nothing on this issue, and I hope most agree. This isn't a bill to play little 'parish interests' and partisan shenanigans with.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2009, 07:00:41 AM »

We might be close to them in terms of unemployment but we also have an unfortunate deficit we need to fill a California, and other heavily populated states in our region, need to maintain their public services and prevent layoffs.

The NE is in bad shape too, it's just the best off.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2009, 04:30:26 PM »

We might be close to them in terms of unemployment but we also have an unfortunate deficit we need to fill a California, and other heavily populated states in our region, need to maintain their public services and prevent layoffs.

The NE is in bad shape too, it's just the best off.

Are you going to respond to my PM asking a technical question about the stimulus money soon?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2009, 06:06:55 PM »

The Midwest should get more.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »

After consideration, maybe giving an equal amount to each would be best to avoid the seemingly inevitable little parish interests and regional battles.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2009, 06:48:11 PM »

After consideration, maybe giving an equal amount to each would be best to avoid the seemingly inevitable little parish interests and regional battles.

And after you'd convinced me to support staggering the relief money? Tongue
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2009, 07:29:44 PM »

And after you'd convinced me to support staggering the relief money? Tongue

Well, I hope there's a way out of the constant 'me regions want more money plz' shenanigans, since right now I don't see it.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2009, 07:14:02 AM »

Fine, since all seem intent on playing little regional power shenanigans and parish interests, I'll bite.

I amend my own bill:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I know it isn't fair to all, but if we continue in this way of MORE MONEY TO ME REGION PLZ for a million years, this will never get passed. So, this is the tough medicine to take to get this passed unless people can get a worldview larger than their own little turf of land and recognize the realities of the nation as a whole. Damn it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2009, 07:27:21 AM »

I really wish you hadn't done that and I urge you to withdraw the amendment before I'm forced to open a vote on this, because I object to it.

You're absolutely right that we should give money in accordance to economic conditions, that's the whole point! The population and the conditions of the Midwest do not match the severity of the economic conditions in the Mideast. The conditions of the Southeast and the Northeast are similarly incomparable.

If more people need relief then they should get more money, it's that simple. This shouldn't be viewed in some sort of "oh you're trying to get pork!" thing from yourself or anyone else. It's sensible and I admit to my error when drafting the stimulus that I didn't apportion the money in accordance to need.

I will open a vote on this soon, and do all within my power to stop it, but I strongly urge you to withdraw it before I can wait no longer.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2009, 02:51:13 PM »

I will vote against this amendment. The Mideast region deserves more money than any other regions. We are one of the largest regions (2nd I believe) and we have the worst economy in Atlasia, with unemployment rates that are nearing 20%. The Mideast region should recieve at least 30 billion, if not more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies