Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:53:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act  (Read 17812 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2009, 02:55:12 PM »

I also feel the Mideast deserves a bigger piece of the pie.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »

My point is that some people are unable to think beyond their narrow regional mindset, and they're unable to accept that some regions other than their little turf also exists and that some of these other regions may be more economically disadvantaged than their turf. They don't seem able to accept that their preferred little turf can't gobble up all the cash for themselves. They also don't understand that this isn't pork, it's stimulus money which should be used for useful things and not building a county road in Wabush or building a palace for their Governor/royalty.

I introduced this legislation not in the interests of fantasy pork or any of that sh**t, I introduced it because it was needed and because nobody was ready to act on it, and the fact of the matter is that we needed to determine this stuff before regions can act on their budgets and the GM can act on the usefulness of the stimulus. I don't have a My Parish First attitude to this stuff, and I wanted to make sure this legislation could benefit those regions in need. I may represent the Northeast, but as Senator, I feel a responsibility to the nation as a whole and regional Senators should too, even if they're elected by a region.

No, giving $11 billion to my region isn't done because I secretly hate it and want it to suffer in hell. I wish I could give more, but in all fairness, I can't do that because I realize that it wouldn't be fair to struggling regions that a region which has maintained a better economic outlook than the country as a whole and has the best budget balance in the country should get more money than a region which has unemployment slightly below that of South Africa and is struggling with a large deficit. I don't think that a state, like, say, Germany would get as much 'stimulus' in a 'world bailout' as a country like Peru or South Africa. And, yes, Purple State is absolutely right that the failure to realize this reality and the failure to act on it would entail a much more large-scale national economic nightmare. Damn it people, please think beyond your region and parish, and think about others, other regions, other people/voters and so forth. Quit thinking about your own region's interests for a while, and think in a more open view.

This My Parish First attitude, which is true not only to Atlasia obviously, is stupid and regressive. It's a narrow-minded view and it won't lead to progress for the nation as a whole, which is what we absolutely need in times of economic recession.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »

Very well then Senators:

The following amendment is now open for a vote, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nay
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »

Nay
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »

I agree with you, Senator Hashemite, that the amount regions recieve should be based on how badly they need the money. The fact that think the Mideast needs more money has nothing to do with the fact that it is my region, but everything to do with the fact that we need this money the most. Our unemployment rate is the highest by 4.2%.
Directly from the GM:
" Already there are reports that the Mideast, the region with the largest deficit and highest unemployment rate, is rapidly running out of reserves to pay regional employees or even for basic services, such as unemployment benefits."
The Mideast needs the most amount of money. After them should be the Midwest and Southeast, followed by the Northeast and Pacific.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2009, 03:18:11 PM »

Nay
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2009, 05:11:04 PM »

Nay.

I understand Hashemites concerns, but I think the Senate is more accepting of the argument to have different handouts to regions than he may have assumed. If I lived in a well off region I would expect my region to receive less. That's just common sense.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »

NAY

Don Young Imitation(This is satire for those that are unsure)

HOW DARE YOU TOUCH "MY MONEY", I DON'T COME AFTER "YOUR MONEY", HOW DARE YOU COME AFTER "MINE".  Smiley
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2009, 05:54:37 PM »

NAY
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »

Good job everyone.

This amendment has enough votes to fail. Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2009, 06:11:57 PM »

Well, considering the Dirty South will just burn all of the money, why not distribute that money to other regions Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2009, 06:23:01 PM »

Well, considering the Dirty South will just burn all of the money, why not distribute that money to other regions Tongue

Actually I have great plans for the money. I won't let them hippies burn it thats for sure. We want good teachers, new high schools, Financial aid for higher education, investments in technology and research, a chicken in every pot, a car in every garage, and partridge in a pear tree. Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2009, 06:37:28 PM »

Actually I have great plans for the money. I won't let them hippies burn it thats for sure. We want good teachers, new high schools, Financial aid for higher education, investments in technology and research, a chicken in every pot, a car in every garage, and partridge in a pear tree. Tongue

Good luck getting the anarchists to accept that Tongue
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2009, 07:06:25 PM »

Okay, again I must ask, what is the purpose of giving so much more money to the Pacific, though they have relatively equivalent unemployment?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2009, 07:14:02 PM »

Okay, again I must ask, what is the purpose of giving so much more money to the Pacific, though they have relatively equivalent unemployment?

We rely very heavily on government agencies, and we've had a much more left-wing healthcare system for awhile now. We have to deal with more deficit and propping up our services than the NE presumably does.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2009, 07:17:57 PM »

Good luck getting the anarchists to accept that Tongue

Yea many of them probably don't even want the partridge in a pear tree. I will try to persuade them.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2009, 07:19:44 PM »

Which reminds me, I sent a PM to Marokai two days ago asking a question about the stimulus money and he hasn't responded. Angry
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2009, 10:42:47 AM »

Nay
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2009, 08:43:27 PM »

With 7 Nays and 0 Ayes, this amendment has failed. Debate continues.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »

Which reminds me, I sent a PM to Marokai two days ago asking a question about the stimulus money and he hasn't responded. Angry

Oh Marokai, I know you must have read this. 
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2009, 08:47:41 PM »

I did read it, but you're off mod review, so can't you mold the plan now? Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2009, 08:51:06 PM »

I did read it, but you're off mod review, so can't you mold the plan now? Tongue

Marokai what are you talking about?  It was a technical question not a request. I wanted to know if the stimulus money had to go to existing programs or if the DS for instance could create new programs with it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2009, 08:52:09 PM »

Marokai what are you talking about?  It was a technical question not a request. I wanted to know if the stimulus money had to go to existing programs or if the DS for instance could create new programs with it.

Let's focus on this issue for the moment, I'll get to your PM asap.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2009, 09:20:09 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2009, 09:33:25 PM by Senator Tmthforu94 »

Okay, I'm going to propose an amendment, I know some people, especially in my party, will not be too happy about this amendment, but I do. While Hashemite did a good job on this bill, after reviewing the GM reports, I have some adjustments I would like to make.
My reason for cutting the portion to the Dirty South: Seriously, a dangerously large amount of its residents want to burn the money. If I knew for a fact that Yankee's ideas on how to spend the money would pass, I wouldn't be wanting to limit their funding. But I don't know that. And the Dirty South shouldn't be getting this much if we don't even know if they will use it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2009, 09:22:33 PM »

I support the measure changing the amount of relief money whole-heartedly, though I still oppose Clause 2.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies