Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:29:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act  (Read 17802 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2009, 09:50:49 PM »

Nay, for reasons I've already stated.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2009, 11:48:55 AM »

GM Purple State has recommended how much money should be proportioned to each region. I urge my fellow Senators to follow the GM's advice on these numbers.

With that, the GM recommends the following apportionment of funds by region in descending order:
Mideast = $32 billion
This should be used to pay back short-term government obligations. The $32 billion will not be entirely sufficient and so there will be no residual funds.

Southeast = $24 billion
This should be used to close the budget deficit with all residual funds used to begin shovel-ready construction projects and other stimulative spending. Using the money for tax cuts or rebates would be a grave mistake.

Midwest = $22 billion
This should be used to close the budget deficit with all residual funds used to begin shovel-ready construction projects and other stimulative spending.

Pacific = $15 billion
This should be used entirely to fill the current budget deficit.

Northeast = $7 billion
This should be used to restart the financial and credit markets, as well as fund any short-term deficit spending incurred by the region to weather the current recession.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2009, 04:56:35 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2009, 05:03:05 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

GM Purple State has recommended how much money should be proportioned to each region. I urge my fellow Senators to follow the GM's advice on these numbers.

With that, the GM recommends the following apportionment of funds by region in descending order:
Mideast = $32 billion
This should be used to pay back short-term government obligations. The $32 billion will not be entirely sufficient and so there will be no residual funds.

Southeast = $24 billion
This should be used to close the budget deficit with all residual funds used to begin shovel-ready construction projects and other stimulative spending. Using the money for tax cuts or rebates would be a grave mistake.

Midwest = $22 billion
This should be used to close the budget deficit with all residual funds used to begin shovel-ready construction projects and other stimulative spending.

Pacific = $15 billion

Northeast = $7 billion
This should be used to restart the financial and credit markets, as well as fund any short-term deficit spending incurred by the region to weather the current recession.

I accept the numbers but I disagree on some of the recommendations. I think the DS should be allowed to put some of the money in education/Research/Small Business as well as infrastructure. We could create a 470,000 jobs in small business by using just $8 billion of that $24 Billion and giving it out as an  2 $8500 tax credits(One per year) for every job created by a small business.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »

Mideast = $32 billion

Southeast = $24 billion

Midwest = $22 billion

Pacific = $15 billion

Northeast = $7 billion

I accept the numbers but I disagree on some of the recommendations. I think the DS should be allowed to put some of the money in education/Research/Small Business as well as infrastructure. We could create a 470,000 jobs in small business by using just $8 billion of that $24 Billion and giving it out as an  2 $8500 tax credits(One per year) for every job created by a small business.

The jobs created by a small business tax credit would not be immediate and those businesses would more likely save the money in the current economic climate.

Placing some of the money into shovel-ready infrastructure jobs creates immediate jobs, provides income for those most likely to spend it quickly and helps the region in the long run.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2009, 04:42:19 AM »

I'd like to remind the Senate that there's a vote going on here that's stuck until things change.

The current tally is 5 Ayes and 2 Nays, but we need to finish up this vote, don't forget about it. (It would be appreciated if Jas could show up and vote Aye on his own amendment so we could move on.)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2009, 07:38:30 AM »

Mideast = $32 billion

Southeast = $24 billion

Midwest = $22 billion

Pacific = $15 billion

Northeast = $7 billion

The jobs created by a small business tax credit would not be immediate and those businesses would more likely save the money in the current economic climate.

Placing some of the money into shovel-ready infrastructure jobs creates immediate jobs, provides income for those most likely to spend it quickly and helps the region in the long run.

The businesses wouldn't get the money unless they hired someone. I am not dumb enough to just throw money somewhere and pray. I fully intend to place a good 33 to 40% of the money into infrastructure. And whatever is left into Education/Research. A good combination of Small Business, Infrastucture, and Education/Research is a combination for strong economic growth in my book.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2009, 11:01:37 AM »

Aye

(It would be appreciated if Jas could show up and vote Aye on his own amendment so we could move on.)

As stated elsewhere, work required travel put me beyond regular net access for the past few days.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2009, 01:35:04 PM »

Mideast = $32 billion

Southeast = $24 billion

Midwest = $22 billion

Pacific = $15 billion

Northeast = $7 billion

The businesses wouldn't get the money unless they hired someone. I am not dumb enough to just throw money somewhere and pray. I fully intend to place a good 33 to 40% of the money into infrastructure. And whatever is left into Education/Research. A good combination of Small Business, Infrastucture, and Education/Research is a combination for strong economic growth in my book.

Some should also go to the deficit. The reason the Southeast warrants more than the Midwest is predominantly its higher budget deficit.

And in that case I am in agreement. It seemed you were simply offering tax rebates to small businesses with no strings attached.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2009, 03:10:44 PM »

Aye

(It would be appreciated if Jas could show up and vote Aye on his own amendment so we could move on.)

As stated elsewhere, work required travel put me beyond regular net access for the past few days.

No problem. Smiley

By a vote of 6 Ayes and 2 Nays, the amendment has passed.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2009, 05:16:30 PM »

Nay ftr
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2009, 07:03:11 PM »

Anyone want to formally write up the GM's recommendations? I don't particularly agree with them myself, so I'm not sure letting me write it is a good idea.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2009, 07:07:23 PM »

CAn I see what the current draft looks like with amendments?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2009, 08:10:42 PM »

Surprisingly unchanged, actually. Aside from Jas' amendment, we've had no change to the original bill after 10 pages of arguing. One amendment was voted down, and another was withdrawn before the vote. Here you are though:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2009, 08:12:12 PM »

The Mideast deserves the most.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2009, 08:15:42 PM »

I will, since I pretty much agree with GM Purple State's suggestions...

I'd like to propose the following amendment...

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2009, 08:16:50 PM »

Damn you Tmth, Tongue Always knew teens today were too fast.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2009, 08:17:10 PM »

For reference, here are the GM's numbers on each region's deficit and unemployment:

Deficits:
Mideast: $80 billion ($600 billion vs. $680 billion)
Pacific: $50 billion (Revenue: $850 billion vs. Expenses: $900 billion)
Southeast: $20 billion ($480 billion vs. $500 billion)
Midwest: $10 billion ($350 billion vs. $360 billion)
Northeast: $0 ($780 billion vs. $780 billion)

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2009, 08:19:05 PM »

I support this amendment.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2009, 08:23:13 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to the amendment before it is adopted.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2009, 08:23:26 PM »

I agree the Midwest needs more money. We are crucial to Atlasian commerce, having Denver located in our region, and our farms provide food for thousands of Atlasians.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2009, 08:24:32 PM »

I'm beginning to think we need more than 100 billion. Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2009, 08:26:42 PM »

I agree the Midwest needs more money. We are crucial to Atlasian commerce, having Denver located in our region, and our farms provide food for thousands of Atlasians.

If this was a little vague, I was voicing support for Tmth's amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2009, 08:27:51 PM »

Did you see PS's projections, our deficit is now in excess of $2 Trillion dollars. Even I would say at some point you have to have some sanity return. We want a slow descent of the dollar, not a run on the dollar.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2009, 08:29:40 PM »

Did you see PS's projections, our deficit is now in excess of $2 Trillion dollars. Even I would say at some point you have to have some sanity return. We want a slow descent of the dollar, not a run on the dollar.

It's not my fault this body has no courage to raise taxes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2009, 08:33:18 PM »

It's not my fault this body has no courage to raise taxes.

Cause we don't need to raise taxes. We need either the economy to recover soon, or basically "Call superman" cause will be screwed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies