Your position on abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:45:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Your position on abortion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Poll
Question: Pro-life or Pro-choice
Strongly Pro-life
Pro-life
In the middle (or both for you Kerry fans)
Pro-choice
Strongly Pro-Choice
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your position on abortion  (Read 27143 times)
Redefeatbush04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2004, 02:51:01 PM »

If you are pro-life are their any exceptions where abortion should be legal?

If you are pro-choice are their any situtations where abortion should be banned?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 02:53:43 PM »

Pro-life

I think it's absurd that "pro-choice" has become a feminist movement. See signature; the early feminists sure weren't for it.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 03:43:57 PM »

If you are pro-choice are their any situtations where abortion should be banned?
there should be no limits on a womans choices.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 03:53:05 PM »

The answer to the abortion question deepnds upon the answer to the question "When does a human life begin?" which itself depends upons the question "What is a human life?"  At the present time that question cannot be answered objectively, any more than the question of "What is obscene?" can be answered objectively.  Hence I am in favor of deciding this issue at the State level and barring a State Constitutional definition of one of the above-mentioned questions, decided by the legislature and not the judiciary thereof.  I will say that if abortion were an issue to be settled at the Federal level, then in the context of 1972, Roe v. Wade represents what a Federal abortion law would likely have been had Congress passed one.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 04:02:26 PM »

there should be no limits on a womans choices.

This is one of the dumbest things I've read in my life. Exactly how many laws do you break?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 04:18:44 PM »

The answer to the abortion question deepnds upon the answer to the question "When does a human life begin?" which itself depends upons the question "What is a human life?"  At the present time that question cannot be answered objectively, any more than the question of "What is obscene?" can be answered objectively.  Hence I am in favor of deciding this issue at the State level and barring a State Constitutional definition of one of the above-mentioned questions, decided by the legislature and not the judiciary thereof.  I will say that if abortion were an issue to be settled at the Federal level, then in the context of 1972, Roe v. Wade represents what a Federal abortion law would likely have been had Congress passed one.

This is pretty much how I feel. I think at some point before birth the fetus becomes a person with rights, but I'm unsure of that point. I lean pro-life, and find abortion to be irresponsible at the least, and would be more pro-life the later the pregnancy is.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 04:22:11 PM »

Ernest brings up a good point: "when does human life begin?". If the abortion occurs before full sensory development, and little or no pain is inflicted, is it still a crime? I belief that abortion itself is constitutional, but at the same time despise it. You might not have existed. You could have been inches from life and never lived at all.

A far greater question that even this one, comes to play when a mother's life is at risk......kill the mother, or kill the child? I believe that it should be left up to the mother, or if she can't, the father. Personally if I were the father I would want to save my wife, but many argue that the child has not had a fair chance at life yet.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 04:25:56 PM »

Is it currently legal to, say, kill a baby about two days before it's born?

I agree that abortion is constitutional. But banning abortion is not unconstitutional.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 04:31:41 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2004, 04:33:13 PM by Redefeatbush04 »

never said it was phillip, but it is best left to the states. Don't you neo-cons have enough constitutional amendments?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 04:35:45 PM »

Who mentioned a constitutional amendment?

I just want Roe vs. Wade overturned. Which would be basically, if not exactly, what you're saying.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 05:00:25 PM »

Yes sorry for the misunderstanding that is what I want. And the lady in Roe v Wade who had the abortion has since become pro-life. What I don't want Phillip, is for it to be banned nationally.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 05:02:02 PM »

We agree, then
Tory

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 05:08:08 PM »

Pro-life
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 06:41:56 PM »

Pro-Choice.  I have no problems with the right to choose; a woman owns her body.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 06:45:05 PM »

BS. I own my body, and I can't go around putting knives in people's backs.
Tory

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 07:15:11 PM »

Pro-Choice.  I have no problems with the right to choose; a woman owns her body.

Saying that a fetus is part of a womans body is like saying that a siamese twin is part of its sibling's body.

If I had a twin that I was conjoined at the hip with, and then I smashed my twin's skull in, would that be my right to do what I want with my own body?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 07:24:33 PM »

Saying that a fetus is part of a womans body is like saying that a siamese twin is part of its sibling's body.

If I had a twin that I was conjoined at the hip with, and then I smashed my twin's skull in, would that be my right to do what I want with my own body?

From a scientific standpoint, I do say that the fetus is not part of the woman's body - it is a symbiot, it is attached for mutually beneficial purposes. The fetus clearly gets something - nutrition and shelter. The relationship is not parasitic as some would say, the mother does get something out of it, because the fetus ultimately is for the propagation of the mother and father's DNA to future generations, which is the goal of all lifeforms when it comes down to it - survive and multiply.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2004, 08:05:49 PM »

Strongly Pro-Life

Roe v. Wade has to be one of the worst Supreme Court decisions ever. What's worse is that now Democrats refuse to let someone on the court unless they support the decision. This "litmus test" is ludicrous. What if the Senate had refused to put justices on the court because they did not support Plessy v. Ferguson? We would have never had Brown v. Board. Just because a court decided over 30 years ago that abortion was legal doesn't mean that they were correct. I find it annoying when people try to justify an issue with a Supreme Court decision. The Supreme Court sometimes makes wrong decisions - look at Dred Scott v. Stanford!

God bless William Rehnquist and Byron White (the Roe dissenters)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 10:04:08 PM »

Moderately pro-choice.

Abortions are totally legal thru the record for the earliest living preemies, then legal for rape, incest, or for the life/health of the mother or fetus/child/object.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 10:05:48 PM »

I am against abortion except in the most extreme cases (rape or when the life of the mother is at risk).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2004, 10:07:24 PM »

I think we should abortions available to McDonalds or some similar place. Quick and easy to get.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2004, 11:04:17 PM »

Moderately pro-choice.

Abortions are totally legal thru the record for the earliest living preemies, then legal for rape, incest, or for the life/health of the mother or fetus/child/object.

Since for me the question centers on "What is a human life?"  I am opposed to exceptions for rape and incest as no matter how vile the circumatances that lead to a human life being created, once it is a human life, it shouldn't be extermined because of a circumstance beyond its control.

I am against abortion except in the most extreme cases (rape or when the life of the mother is at risk).

When the life if the mother at risk, it becomes a question of what the odds of survival for mother and child if the abortion is not done versus the odds of survival of the mother it is isn't done, so while I would allow for abortions once the fetus had become a human life if not doing so would impair the odds of survival of the mother, it wouldn't be a blanket exemption.

Of course, if it had not yet reached the stage of being a human life, the government would have no business interfering.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2004, 12:07:48 AM »

Moderately pro-choice. I feel that abortion is usually morally wrong, but that throwing people in jail is not the answer. That only makes matters worse. I do not feel that the state should interfere in the decision; it should be up to the woman, her doctor, and her Creator.

Eliminating poverty would eliminate the vast majority of abortions at the same time. That's the only way to truly stop abortion.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2004, 12:38:57 AM »

Almost strongly pro-choice.  I basically take the Joe Hoeffel position.  I oppose partial birth abortion except for rape, life of the mother, and health of the mother.    Otherwise it's a woman's right.  I also favor federal funding as my next Congresswoman Allyson Schwartz does.
Carioca
Rookie
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2004, 09:51:16 PM »

Pro-life
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies