Where you surprised that the 2000s were more or less a Republican decade? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:13:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Where you surprised that the 2000s were more or less a Republican decade? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where you surprised that the 2000s were more or less a Republican decade?  (Read 4066 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: October 10, 2009, 10:53:30 AM »

I dont know if Id qualify the decade as republican just by elections, technically, it wouldnt really be all that republican of a decade if you did that.  Dont forget:

2000 - lost 4 senate seats, lost popular vote, won electoral vote
2002 - made incremental gains, picked up 2 senate seats, some house seats
2004 - big year for us, 4 senate seats, bushs reelection, good house seats
2006 - lost 6 senate seats and just about everything else
2008 - blew it big, 8 senate seats and Zero

More than half of the decade was won by liberals.  Also, remember that Bush was not a conservative, he was an economically liberal republican, with the rhetoric of a social conservative.  The only thing he was closely conservative on was national defense.  We got lucky to be awarded with 2 conservative judges (and we almost got Harriet Miers, uggh).  If anything, this decade will be far more conservative/libertarian than the 2000s were, especially with Zero in office.  There will be such a reaction to the hard line left policies of Zero that will witness a revival of true conservatism in this country, it is already beginning.  The gains of the left were just revealing pent up anger at successive faliures and incompetencies of the Bush administration - faliures and incompetencies that Zero is embracing and expanding. FYI, if the left is getting ready to bash this post, truthfully ask yourself how many Bush policies our dear leader has dismantled, how many wars we are out of (I think we are past the August 2009 Iraq deadline as promised in the state of the union), how much of the Patriot Act is still in place, why he isnt supporting gays, and the list goes on and on...

You could classify the 1990's as a "Conservative" year in my opinion. (Not Republican Obviously, look who was President), but you had a Republican dominance of Congress, and a President who practically signed every bill that came from the Republican Congress.

Now look at 2000's. I cannot see how this is a Republican decade. An incumbent President, even though there had been an attack on US soil, and despite being the "Party of National Security" Bush won the slimmest reelection since Woodrow "McFascist" Wilson against a man who had the personality of a plank of Wood. The Republican Party grew too accustomed to being in Power, and squandered it.

Not to mention I haven't seen one piece of really "Small Government" principles being passed across Mr. Bush's desk.

Bush = Nixonian Liberal
And you know the sick thing that is guaranteed to happen, once a real conservative republican president is elected in the future (12 or 16), in order to attack that president, they will say how much they admired GWBs policies - just like they heaped praise on his liberal father to attack GWB.  They will praise the bailout and TARP packages, praise the healthcare bill he created together with the late Teddy (I killed a girl once) Kennedy.  You know, because it was good, good for the nation.  They will say that his immigration plan was great and that had it been enacted there would have been great changes made.  They will use their Iraq votes to pretend that they actually supported the war so they look strong on national security again.

You know azmagic, sometimes I don't give you enough credit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies