How did George H.W. Bush lose in 1992?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:52:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How did George H.W. Bush lose in 1992?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: How did George H.W. Bush lose in 1992?  (Read 32202 times)
cpeeks
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »

I didnt say i had cancer, but dude get real he looked like a second rate amatuer when he looked at his watch, basically putting off an image that he didnt have time for the american people.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2010, 10:25:40 PM »

I know you weren't saying that lol don't take "you" literally.
cpeeks
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2010, 12:04:26 AM »

Lol I still say you are a Bush lover!!!!!!!!!!
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2010, 01:50:25 AM »

You are a Clinton lover!
cpeeks
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2010, 01:21:23 PM »

LOL I never voted for Clinton.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »

lol you must be a Perot supporter. I'll tell you what, if Perot was in either party he would've gotten my vote.
cpeeks
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2010, 08:44:28 PM »

No i wanted clinton in 1992 i just wasnt old enough to vote, why does it matter if perot was in a party or independent?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »

No i wanted clinton in 1992 i just wasnt old enough to vote, why does it matter if perot was in a party or independent?

I want my vote to go to the candidate who I feel has the best chance of winning that I would like. Meaning I liked Bush and Perot but Bush was the only one who had a serious chance to win out of the 2. That doesn't mean I won't vote for the loser in a landslide unless I happen to like the winner too. Another thing which is unfortunate but a cold hard fact is that if the GOP wins the White House or if it's the Dems, every judicial appointment, secretary, panel, they are all going to come from that party's ideology. Even though McCain was too moderate for right wingers, it was still very important to vote for him because of all of those things.
cpeeks
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2010, 10:53:03 PM »

Well I wasnt crazy about Mccain but i voted for him because Obama scares me to death, just like with this health care bill, and the bailouts.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2010, 08:01:39 AM »

Yea you never want your government to have the power to decide which companies succeed and fail based on bail outs.
cpeeks
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2010, 01:53:01 PM »

I knew when I first watched him at the 2004 DNC he was a snake oil salesman.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2010, 03:57:34 PM »

Of course, he's a politician.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2010, 11:26:53 AM »

Who?
cpeeks
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2010, 01:14:58 PM »

Obama
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »

Who?

Well yea.
cpeeks
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2010, 11:25:31 PM »

Nah, hes deeper than that. This guy truly scares me. His refusal to wear a flag pin. Him reading the book call The Post American World about Jihad defeating us. Him not going to Arlington to lay a wreath on the tomb of the unknown. I really fear him.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2010, 02:01:31 PM »

Nah, hes deeper than that. This guy truly scares me. His refusal to wear a flag pin. Him reading the book call The Post American World about Jihad defeating us. Him not going to Arlington to lay a wreath on the tomb of the unknown. I really fear him.

If I could ask him one question it would be "what is so bad about our flag that you won't wear it?"
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2010, 02:17:29 PM »

Most incumbent Presidents win re-election. Since 1900 only five of eighteen Presidential elections involving an incumbent President have resulted in the defeat of the incumbent. (Grover Cleveland lost the election of 1888 despite winning the majority of the popular vote and beat his successor in 1892, which explains why I put the divide where I did).

The elder Bush had no blatant scandals, and indeed presided over the best situation in international politics  in decades -- the collapse of Commie rule in central and southeastern Europe. He handled it right -- not gloating about it. Those defeated were

Taft 1912 --William Howard Taft had the right temperament to be a judge but not to be President.

Hoover 1932 -- economic meltdown.

Ford 1976 -- had never run a successful campaign for any statewide office.

Carter 1980 -- bad trends hitting all at once, including that the North had yet to go heavily Democratic as it would in 1992 and later, but the South was still barely Democratic in 1976 but not after that.

G H W Bush 1992.

The elder Bush had parlayed his image as a political moderate into the role of cutting the rough edges of the image of Ronald Reagan. In that the Ford analogy applies: he had never won office as a Senator or Governor. He had lost a bid for the Senate. He won election in a lackluster campaign against a flawed opponent whose candidate wilted irrevocably and late in 1988.

In 1992 he ran against a slick campaigner who made few mistakes. President Bush seemed to have no ideas for what to do in a second term... and it showed. As in 1988 he ran a lackluster campaign, and in 1992 it could not win.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2010, 02:44:48 AM »

Someone said that reagan's poll numbers had dropped a lot by the time he left office, but reagan had a 65% approval when he left office.

I think that bush would have beaten dukakis or other candidates n 1992.

Well obviously he'd beat other candidates. I don't think Michael Dukakis could campaign his way out of a paper bag. I believe Bush left office with a 56% approval rating.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2010, 05:42:20 PM »

Someone said that reagan's poll numbers had dropped a lot by the time he left office, but reagan had a 65% approval when he left office.

Well obviously he'd beat other candidates. I don't think Michael Dukakis could campaign his way out of a paper bag. I believe Bush left office with a 56% approval rating.

His approvals were much lower than that on Election Day, though. I think Dukakis could have beaten Bush Sr. in 1992 if he ran a good campaign and focused a lot on the poor economy.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2010, 04:28:21 AM »

He had the BRILLANT idea of raising taxes during a recession.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2010, 08:07:08 AM »

His approvals were much lower than that on Election Day, though. I think Dukakis could have beaten Bush Sr. in 1992 if he ran a good campaign and focused a lot on the poor economy.

You're right. His approval rating was 37 and he got 38%. I'm still not underestimating Dukakis' ability to mess up.
JoeyJoeJoe
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.57

« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2010, 02:38:42 PM »

"His refusal to wear a flag pin."

It's more disturbing that politicians do wear them.  It's cheap symbolic patriotism.  Politicians in the past didn't wear them, because they showed their patriotism through their actions, not an accesory.  Dwight Eisenhower didn't wear them.  Neither did Bill Clinton, etc.  It doesn't mean anything, other than a willingness to bow to political pressure from the likes of Sean Hannity.  I don't get how we got to a point where politicians have to be so un-subtle to show their patriotism.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2010, 03:27:22 PM »

It's more disturbing that politicians do wear them.  It's cheap symbolic patriotism.  Politicians in the past didn't wear them, because they showed their patriotism through their actions, not an accesory.  Dwight Eisenhower didn't wear them.  Neither did Bill Clinton, etc.  It doesn't mean anything, other than a willingness to bow to political pressure from the likes of Sean Hannity.  I don't get how we got to a point where politicians have to be so un-subtle to show their patriotism.

I didn't realize the American flag was a bow to political pressure. I wear it with pride.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2010, 03:56:04 PM »

I didn't realize the American flag was a bow to political pressure. I wear it with pride.

Good for you. However, it seems obvious to me that any true "Manchurian candidate" would run out there & flaunt a flag pin. It's sort of like the notion of a loyalty pledge in the 1950s; it meant nothing because any communist spy would have just made the pledge without an ounce of sincerity.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies