55 US Cities ranked on "smarts"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:06:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  55 US Cities ranked on "smarts"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 55 US Cities ranked on "smarts"  (Read 2080 times)
gregusodenus
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2009, 10:36:52 PM »

Why are San Francisco, Oakland, & San Jose considered one city?

Nielsen and the Census both use MSA (metropolitan statistical areas) in reporting.

They actually go by county, specifically, which can end up including extremely rural areas in "metros."

San Francisco and San Jose aren't actually the same MSA (which is stupid, but I digress).

As far as I know,  all three cities are in different counties. Oakland is pretty close to SF, though. I think San Jose is some 100 miles south, though.

50 miles.

They're in different counties, yes, but the entire area in between is populated.

I thought there were a whole bunch of hills south of San Francisco. Hard to imagine an urban areas that wouldn't be impeded by those hills.

San Francisco's hills, in comparison, are a lot smaller.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 11:12:56 PM »

Nielsen and the Census both use MSA (metropolitan statistical areas) in reporting.

They actually go by county, specifically, which can end up including extremely rural areas in "metros."

San Francisco and San Jose aren't actually the same MSA (which is stupid, but I digress).

As far as I know,  all three cities are in different counties. Oakland is pretty close to SF, though. I think San Jose is some 100 miles south, though.

50 miles.

They're in different counties, yes, but the entire area in between is populated.

I thought there were a whole bunch of hills south of San Francisco. Hard to imagine an urban areas that wouldn't be impeded by those hills.

There are, but they run north-south. The entire area between the Santa Cruz Mountains and San Francisco Bay is heavily built up.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 11:55:42 PM »

50 miles.

There are, but they run north-south. The entire area between the Santa Cruz Mountains and San Francisco Bay is heavily built up.

Indeed, depending on which road or highway to take out of the city, you may either pass through unending sprawl or vast rural landscapes.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 11:59:50 PM »

50 miles.

Indeed, depending on which road or highway to take out of the city, you may either pass through unending sprawl or vast rural landscapes.

I assume I take both far more than you do. Guess which is better? Smiley
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 12:06:53 AM »

280 and 1 kick the sh**t out of the hellhole otherwise known as 101.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2009, 01:07:11 AM »

1's too far off to be of much use.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2009, 01:08:46 AM »

Yes the 1 is off little use, except for the eyes.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2009, 01:34:03 AM »

The 1?

Go back to Irvine. We don't want your kind.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2009, 02:33:17 AM »

The 1?

Go back to Irvine. We don't want your kind.

Lol. I picked up some bad habits down there.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies