Badnarik's latest strategy...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:52:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Badnarik's latest strategy...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Badnarik's latest strategy...  (Read 2948 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2004, 09:58:11 PM »

Having conservatives vote for him so Kerry wins...opening in Wisconsin

http://badnarik.org/Multimedia/SendMessage.mpeg
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 10:04:32 PM »

Has Badnarik actually been elected to any public office before?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 10:05:32 PM »

Great, another reason to hate libertarians.

I think he's a janitor or something.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 10:12:18 PM »

Has Badnarik actually been elected to any public office before?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 10:12:26 PM »

IF they had gone with Russo, maybe the polls would have Libertarians doing "ok"
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 10:36:02 PM »

1. It's more of a message to start voting Libertarian and stop voting for the lesser of two evils(if you consider Bush or Kerry to be as such, I know some don't think that way). The sooner people start voting Libertarian the sooner change will happen. If you don't like it, tough - if you're a Republican I doubt you hate the Greens and Nader for what happened in 2000.

2. No, he's never been in public office. Doesn't mean he wouldn't do a good job - we've also seen in the past that even those with political experience can suck as president.

3. He's done lots of different work. Most notable was computer programmer, though he's also done some other stuff like sky diving instructor. Somewhat of a jack of many trades.

4. Badnarik is running around 1-3% in the polls depending on the state - for a Libertarian that is more than ok. If he got even 1% of the popular vote in the election it would be more than any Libertarian before.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 10:39:31 PM »

The only Libertarian I know to hold a significant office is Ed Thompson, the former mayor from Tomah, Wisconsin. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the party doesn't seem to get elected very frequently.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 10:40:28 PM »

I might vote Libertarian in 2008. Depends who the GOP nominee is.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 10:45:25 PM »

The only Libertarian I know to hold a significant office is Ed Thompson, the former mayor from Tomah, Wisconsin. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the party doesn't seem to get elected very frequently.

More so than other third parties. We have had some state level congressmen in Alaska before. Other than that our highest stuff is usually city councilman or something.

I'm glad that Wisconsin seems to be willing to vote Libertarian though, based on Ed Thompson's govenor race results.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 10:59:10 PM »

More so than other third parties. We have had some state level congressmen in Alaska before. Other than that our highest stuff is usually city councilman or something.

I'm glad that Wisconsin seems to be willing to vote Libertarian though, based on Ed Thompson's govenor race results.

They're not willing to vote Libertarian, they are willing to vote for Tommy Thompson's brother.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 12:06:26 AM »

I wouldn't call mayor of a town of 9,000 people significant office.  He did play a good spoiler in the last Wisconsin gubunatrorial election though.  His brother must have really been happy about that Smiley.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 12:11:54 AM »

He didn't take votes exclusively from the Republicans. Looking at the results in the Madison area proves this.

The acting in this ad made me laugh, although I guess it shouldn't be a suprise it was so cheaply done.

Nowhere in this ad did it say the votes should be so Kerry should win.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2004, 12:14:36 AM »

A Libertarian candidate did pull ahead of the GOP candidate for DA in Phila about 5 years ago.  He was well behind the Democrat.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2004, 12:26:26 AM »

the dialogue could use some work too. summary:

husband: man, I can't vote for Bush, he's running up deficits, but I don't want to vote for Kerry
wife: I know! Let's vote Libertarian and vote for Michael Badnarik instead!
husband: hmmm, that might send a message

I know the LP probably couldn't afford a more professional ad, but I could write better dialogue than what it had.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 12:40:52 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2004, 12:42:43 AM by Treasury Secretary Beef »

He didn't take votes exclusively from the Republicans. Looking at the results in the Madison area proves this.

This is true.  Wisconsin Libertarians (and I'm broadly generalizing here) tend to be of the 20-something, wild, variety that wants to legalize pot.  Those are all Doyle votes if not for Thompson.

Ben Masel is the leading Madison-area Libertarian, and basically legalization is the entire extent of his message.  While he does attract a lot of the Ayn Rand cult weirdos on campus he's most certainly a left-wing activist.

The acting in this ad made me laugh, although I guess it shouldn't be a suprise it was so cheaply done.

The woman's eye makeup scares me.  The interesting thing is, judging from the accents, I think the actors are either from Minnesota or the Dakotas.  Makes me wonder where this was produced.

Nowhere in this ad did it say the votes should be so Kerry should win.

No, but the ad says the votes should be so Bush should lose.  Same thing, really.  "Send a message."  That's why I'd vote Badnarik.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2004, 12:56:41 AM »

GOOD!
Let Democracy happen, let our fine Republic show true representation of people's views.  I'm getting so tired of the bull about people "spoiling the election."  It's the PEOPLE'S choice.  Sure, if the Libertarians take the election by pulling Republican votes, that's fine with me.  If that in turn makes Bush lose, that's fine with me.  I might not agree with a Kerry Whitehouse, or Badnarik, or Cobb, or whoever wins the race....(btw I'm not aloof, I know Kerry would win if that were the case, lol)

I'm am just really fed up with this "spoiler effect" that people are naming.  I saw a Democrat (I believe it was Aida Alvarez) on Dayside, and she said, flat out that Nader shouldn't be on the ballot because he's a "spoiler."  I was shocked, and taken aback.  Why would someone want to try to Govern so much who's going to be the next leader?  People are far to Power hungry these days, Democrats and Republicans alike. 

And the nation is now in this mindset that there shouldn't be other Parties because they don't deserve it.  It's almost as if the majority of America thinks that there can't be another party because the Law doesn't provide it.

As I said above, kudos to Badnarik if he can get the votes he wants.  Good job for him if he can convince people he's the right guy.
Light Touch

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 03:38:34 PM »

The ad is weak by D/R standards, but solid by L standards.  It's better than the earlier "devil eyes" ads and the Harry Browne "blow up the IRS" ads.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 04:24:33 PM »

Well, at least I learned how to pronounce Badnarik from this ad...

Badnahrik, not Badnarik.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 07:19:25 PM »

The woman looked like a deer in the headlights.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies