Dow Jones...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:04:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Dow Jones...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dow Jones...  (Read 906 times)
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2009, 03:46:26 PM »

BBC News article

1. I wonder how long this'll last for.  Tongue
2. Does this actually mean anything?  Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »

Might be a good time to bump those "will the dow touch 10,000 this year" threads. Of course this doesn't mean sh**t.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 05:48:50 PM »

It will mean nothing if Consumer confidence doesn't start to return to the markets soon. What we need is a series of successive monthly increases in Consumer Spending between now and December to secure the economy and prevent a relapse back down. Beyond that though anything can happen. Not enough has been done to help the economy in the long term.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 05:58:11 PM »

It will mean nothing if Consumer confidence doesn't start to return to the markets soon. What we need is a series of successive monthly increases in Consumer Spending between now and December to secure the economy and prevent a relapse back down. Beyond that though anything can happen. Not enough has been done to help the economy in the long term.

The markets only care about corporate earnings...at least in the short term. Of course earnings are going to be good. They laid of a good portion of the work force and aren't hiring anymore and making those still working to work even harder. But if people still stay unemployed or underemployed, spending will not pick up and earnings will go down again. I don't think they will come to this realization until somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I predict we won't go into 2010 with the Dow above 10,000.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:11:19 PM »

The markets only care about corporate earnings...at least in the short term. Of course earnings are going to be good. They laid of a good portion of the work force and aren't hiring anymore and making those still working to work even harder. But if people still stay unemployed or underemployed, spending will not pick up and earnings will go down again. I don't think they will come to this realization until somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I predict we won't go into 2010 with the Dow above 10,000.

Which is why we need the tax credit to entice companies to hire unemployed workers.  Problem is many jobs are there it's just they don't want to touch the unemployed with a 10 foot pole.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:05:12 PM »

Which is why we need the tax credit to entice companies to hire unemployed workers.  Problem is many jobs are there it's just they don't want to touch the unemployed with a 10 foot pole.

Why, they are the reason that those people are unemployed? When are these f**kers going to stop treating employees like numbers and treat them like human beings.

When I advocated a very similar idea of Employment based tax credits during the stimulus debate it was shot down, cause of the multiplier effect being too low.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 09:16:19 PM »

Hmm, a trillion injected at 0 to 0.25% interest, and people are surprised the DJ hits 10,000?  What is the P/E ratio again?

I didn't ride this out because I thought it'll be over by about 9,000 and didn't think it worth to buy underside protection.  Oh well.  It won't last.  P/E ratios don't lie.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »

Hmm, a trillion injected at 0 to 0.25% interest, and people are surprised the DJ hits 10,000?  What is the P/E ratio again?

I didn't ride this out because I thought it'll be over by about 9,000 and didn't think it worth to buy underside protection.  Oh well.  It won't last.  P/E ratios don't lie.

I saw an article that said P/E is at Tech bubble levels. Another 1999 comparison. Dow 10,000 with dangerously high P/E levels.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 06:24:27 PM »

Stock market is usually the first sign of recovery.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 06:59:38 PM »

I saw an article that said P/E is at Tech bubble levels. Another 1999 comparison. Dow 10,000 with dangerously high P/E levels.

What is the current P/E ratio of the dow? The S&P 500 is near Nasdaq 2000 status.....
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies