Public Housing Bill [On the President's Desk]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:40:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Public Housing Bill [On the President's Desk]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Public Housing Bill [On the President's Desk]  (Read 4437 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 08:34:03 AM »

Anywho, NCY, should I take your (silly) objections as a formal objection to the amendment?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2009, 11:04:19 AM »

I understand the concerns over raising taxes to pay for this bill, but it very much appears that the Senate has to cost bills from this point on and I will push for that in any future bills laid before the Senate.

I wanted a deficit neutral bill to cover what I feel was an oversight in the initial Relief and Recovery Act. I had the choice of 'raiding' that bill through an amendment. I still believe that that bill has failing and monies allocated within could be better spent however I felt that it would set poor precedent to do so. I have no intention of proposing to raise income taxes, which are taxes that I wish could be(and i've attempted to) driven down. I thought it was logical to pay 'like with like' and hike estate taxes to pay for this investment.

I don't want to raise taxes either but I had my sights on a Housing Bill this session and is the most appropriate bill I could lay before the Senate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2009, 08:33:26 PM »

I understand the concerns over raising taxes to pay for this bill, but it very much appears that the Senate has to cost bills from this point on and I will push for that in any future bills laid before the Senate.

I wanted a deficit neutral bill to cover what I feel was an oversight in the initial Relief and Recovery Act. I had the choice of 'raiding' that bill through an amendment. I still believe that that bill has failing and monies allocated within could be better spent however I felt that it would set poor precedent to do so. I have no intention of proposing to raise income taxes, which are taxes that I wish could be(and i've attempted to) driven down. I thought it was logical to pay 'like with like' and hike estate taxes to pay for this investment.

I don't want to raise taxes either but I had my sights on a Housing Bill this session and is the most appropriate bill I could lay before the Senate.

I like the idead of taxing like for like. I still have other reservations about this bill though. Color me unsure for now.

Anywho, NCY, should I take your (silly) objections as a formal objection to the amendment?

No it was not.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »

Since NCY doesn't object, and no others have either, this bill has been amended, debate continues as usual.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 04:55:38 AM »

Final vote is going to open in less than 12 hours or so, depending. Due to the sluggish nature of the Senate lately I'm giving you all some extra time to raise objections or praise. Snap to it!
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 04:57:20 AM »

I think we could do with putting a little more money up for this project, personally. I suppose it is up to the Senate, but this is a good idea that we should be supporting 100% and not just 75%.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 07:25:41 AM »

Nobody responded to my idea, so, bump.

As an extension, France enacted in 2000 the Loi SRU, which notably compels (it's more of a goal, now) municipalities of a certain size (in France, cities of 3500+ inhabitants [1500 in Paris Region] included within a general organized agglomeration of 50000+ inhabitants) to build atleast 20% of public housing out of the city's building plan/whatever. Is anybody interested in putting this, obviously modified, in this, or would it be too hard to enforce/encroaching on regions/whatever? If so, I think it would also require an alternative option to this 'obligation' of sorts for municipalities unable to achieve this goal or who don't want to.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 07:58:41 AM »

As an extension, France enacted in 2000 the Loi SRU, which notably compels (it's more of a goal, now) municipalities of a certain size (in France, cities of 3500+ inhabitants [1500 in Paris Region] included within a general organized agglomeration of 50000+ inhabitants) to build atleast 20% of public housing out of the city's building plan/whatever. Is anybody interested in putting this, obviously modified, in this, or would it be too hard to enforce/encroaching on regions/whatever? If so, I think it would also require an alternative option to this 'obligation' of sorts for municipalities unable to achieve this goal or who don't want to.

Sounds interesting. Similar sorts of public housing quotas are in effect in Ireland - I think it's something like a requirement on developments of a certain size to provide at least 10% of their housing to public housing purposes or to give the local authority the monetary equivalent such that they can direct such construction...or something. Housing policy isn't something I'm well versed in I'm afraid.

Anyway, as I say, I'd be happy to hear more on this.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 11:55:03 PM »

Well, what are the problems who happened in France with that?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 07:24:25 AM »

Certain municipalities don't want to build 20% of social housing for obvious reasons and prefer to pay some sort of penalty (though they often don't even need to pay it).

And cookies for those who guess the type of municipalities I'm talking about.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 12:52:10 AM »

Certain municipalities don't want to build 20% of social housing for obvious reasons and prefer to pay some sort of penalty (though they often don't even need to pay it).

And cookies for those who guess the type of municipalities I'm talking about.

Well, I would support that in Atlasia (with a penalty for opting out).
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 06:14:02 AM »

As debate has snagged for a couple days, the following bill is now at a final vote. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Aye
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 06:20:17 AM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 06:23:21 AM »

Aye
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2009, 06:51:46 AM »

Aye
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2009, 06:56:28 AM »

Aye

I guess nobody cared about my idea.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2009, 06:58:13 AM »

FTR I was open to it, but I wasn't able to try and word a further amendment to cover it. I had already amended my own bill Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »

Aye
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2009, 01:30:08 PM »

Nay
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 03:33:38 PM »

6 Ayes, 1 Nay, this bill is currently passing. Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2009, 03:46:22 PM »

Aye
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2009, 04:18:25 PM »

Aye
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2009, 06:38:43 PM »

8 Ayes, 1 Nay, this bill has now passed. I present it to the President for his signature.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2009, 03:02:14 AM »

Aye ftr
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2009, 12:52:10 AM »

X Lief