Why do so many people care about bad people?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 04:22:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why do so many people care about bad people?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why do so many people care about bad people?  (Read 2195 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:28:43 AM »

I can never understand how a person can feel sympathy for bad people, be it ex-boyfriends who treat you like crap but you still hang out with, or convicted killers on death row whom you wish could be commuted and get rehabilitated.

Does it make me coldhearted that, in complete and utter honesty, I don't care about bad people period, and I could care less what happens to them?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:34:27 AM »

I can never understand how a person can feel sympathy for bad people, be it ex-boyfriends who treat you like crap but you still hang out with, or convicted killers on death row whom you wish could be commuted and get rehabilitated.

Does it make me coldhearted that, in complete and utter honesty, I don't care about bad people period, and I could care less what happens to them?

Nope. It makes you an intelligent person.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:47:14 AM »

No, I think you're fine, Mike.........
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:25:57 AM »

Some people look at people's failure to successfully function according to our societal guidelines, rules, or even laws as society's failing of them.  People believe they can help them through what they see as a struggle that often goes further than whatever specific action that makes them "bad".  They are the victim in some senses because somewhere along the lines the restraint mechanism was never instilled or there is some cause for backlash against the structure of laws or against loved ones out of frustration or confusion.  Their emphasis is that they're people just like everyone else and what they need is compassion and understanding rather than scorning and shunning as the latter will just lead to more dismay and resentment.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 05:15:01 PM »

You obviously care about George Bush. George Bush is a bad person. He started unnecessary wars and many people died. Your logic is clearly incredibly flawed.

Even disregarding that point, aren't you supposed to be a Christian? If so, where is your sense of Christian Compassion for all of God's Children?
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 05:20:11 PM »

Nope. It makes you an intelligent person.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 05:24:19 PM »

'Bad people'?  That's some adolescent simplistic twaddle there, Naso.  The only people one could fairly describe as 'bad' are people you'll never meet.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 05:25:50 PM »

An enlightened person has compassion for everybody save the most evil (e.g. Osama Bin Laden).

I have compassion for some very evil people in this world, not because I don't find what they did abhorrent but because I realize that most had many traumatic things happen to them that led them to do what they did.

Of course, some are just nut-cases.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 02:05:45 AM »

Can you see things in anything but black and white?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 02:15:18 AM »

An enlightened person has compassion for everybody save the most evil (e.g. Osama Bin Laden).

I have compassion for some very evil people in this world, not because I don't find what they did abhorrent but because I realize that most had many traumatic things happen to them that led them to do what they did.

I'd tend to agree with this.  Even the worst ex-boyfriends aren't inherently bad people.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 02:52:20 AM »

I don't know if you're religious at all, Mike, but that's about as far from Christianity as you can get.

Besides, just because someone does one thing wrong doesn't mean they're below all possibility of reproach. Everyone has their lapses and to think otherwise is simply insanity.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 03:27:27 AM »

Can you see things in anything but black and white?

He's a conservative, so probably not. Smiley
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 05:09:33 PM »

Are you sure there's no hope for you and Phil?  Is he really a "bad person" to you now?

::: runs :::
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 05:12:32 PM »

I agree. I both don't like Oakland thugs and George W. Bush.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 05:20:53 PM »

Very well said.

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 05:33:13 PM »

Are you sure there's no hope for you and Phil?  Is he really a "bad person" to you now?

Favorite Posters:

Inks
JSoJourner

Sensei
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 05:38:43 PM »

You obviously care about George Bush. George Bush is a bad person. He started unnecessary wars and many people died. Your logic is clearly incredibly flawed.

You know, I rather prefer openly bad people than nice guys, who because of their idiotis, lack of intelligence and blind faith in something, are causing horrible harm.

Those nice guys are bigger problem
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 07:08:25 PM »

Very well said.

You know who I can't stand at all? People who can't accept the fact that people make mistakes. In other words, judgemental dbags who keep on telling those who screw up that they are screwups and those screwups keep saying "well screw you" and keep screwing up. Screwups don't need to be told they're screwups, they need someone who will tell them they're only human, that the human condition is screwing up, and that our experiences with screwing up helps us learn from that screwup and helps make us better people.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 10:33:54 PM »

Favorite Posters:

Inks
JSoJourner

Sensei

I'm in the top 2!

Right back at you buddy - you're one of the best on the forum.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 10:51:26 PM »

Favorite Posters:

Inks
JSoJourner

Sensei

I'm in the top 2!

Right back at you buddy - you're one of the best on the forum.

Inks, friend, your "best of" list would probably be every poster on the forum minus one or two names.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 12:35:52 AM »

It's when the limits of our compassion are most tested that we are called to located our humanity.  If you completely write people off, then you are no better than they are.  Don't you think that other people have reasons, in their minds, for devaluing people the way they did?  Well, if you take away their humanity, then you are guilt of the same exact evil.  I would invite you to look at alot of the people you look up to.  Many of them have done things I am sure they aren't proud of.

I'm not saying that you should let people do harm to you, or others, or take advantage of you, or others, and there are certainly people who are irreconcilable, because they don't care about the things they have done, in the least.  But that's when you rise above their evil, so as not to repeat their mistakes.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 04:06:51 AM »

It's one of the reasons I became a Republican. I couldn't understand why Democrats are so afraid of taking down bad guys. It's so cowardly and gutless. Maybe I am a bit too "John Wayne" with my thinking...but that's the way I honestly feel.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 04:11:42 AM »

It's one of the reasons I became a Republican. I couldn't understand why Democrats are so afraid of taking down bad guys. It's so cowardly and gutless. Maybe I am a bit too "John Wayne" with my thinking...but that's the way I honestly feel.

No, it's one of the reasons I'm a Republican too. Sometimes it appears Democrats appreciate criminality.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 08:19:56 AM »

I couldn't understand why Democrats are so afraid of taking down bad guys.

Specify

(if you mean foreign policy, because that cause more harm than good, and if you're so moral, why U.S. didn't take down Pinochet or Shah?)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 08:23:23 AM »

Naso, if you weren't real, I would think of you as a comic book creation.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies