Obama administration says medical marijuana users will be left alone
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:30:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama administration says medical marijuana users will be left alone
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama administration says medical marijuana users will be left alone  (Read 2143 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2009, 10:12:43 PM »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-Newsbreak-New-medical-apf-4109207182.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

Well here's a great step and above Bush.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »

"BAW BAW HE'S TAKIN OUR FREEDUMBS!"
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:00:30 AM »

Here in Venice Beach, I can already smell the winds of change.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 03:06:09 AM »

Hmm? Did you move?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 03:08:33 AM »

Could we finally be moving towards a long overdue era of legalized pot?  This would save the government massive amounts of time and money and perhaps even increase tax revenues.  Drug related violence and crime would plummet in both the US and Mexico.  Jails would have room for actual dangerous criminals.  It actually might stimulate the economy too.  Could the
"Great Recession," like the Great Depression before it, usher in a new anti-prohibition movement?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 03:24:15 AM »

Could we finally be moving towards a long overdue era of legalized pot?  This would save the government massive amounts of time and money and perhaps even increase tax revenues.  Drug related violence and crime would plummet in both the US and Mexico.  Jails would have room for actual dangerous criminals.  It actually might stimulate the economy too.  Could the
"Great Recession," like the Great Depression before it, usher in a new anti-prohibition movement?

Not really. Pot money doesn't go to criminals, just old hippies who grow it in their basements. The reason it should be legalized is it is a completely harmless drug.

BTW I once heard in Mankato from one of my buddies about this cop his brother knows. He never arrests people for pot, he just confiscates. Then he sells the pot he confiscates. I already like this guy a lot more than most cops.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 04:25:13 AM »

Could we finally be moving towards a long overdue era of legalized pot?  This would save the government massive amounts of time and money and perhaps even increase tax revenues.  Drug related violence and crime would plummet in both the US and Mexico.  Jails would have room for actual dangerous criminals.  It actually might stimulate the economy too.  Could the

Not really. Pot money doesn't go to criminals, just old hippies who grow it in their basements.

You sure about this? Yeah there are a bunch of hippies growing this, but do you really think that the Mexican cartels and other criminal entities don't grow it as well? I think this is especially true in areas right around the bay area and La. Things are different in Humboldt. Anyways criminals are usually highly involved in the distribution of it, and a lot of violence occurs along the way. Legalizing pot will certainly alleviate some of these problems.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 04:43:30 AM »

lololol
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »

Before you know it,  the military will be filled with crazed gay dopers, who I suspect instead of destroying the poppy fields in Afghanistan, will be helping with the harvest. And then what, I ask you. What then? 
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »

We've heard it all before. The administration puts out some big lie, the media projects it to the ends of the earth, everyone falls for it, and then everyone forgets about it when it turns out to be a lie.

Happened a few months ago when Eric Holder announced that federal raids on marijuana suppliers legal under state law would end. Within two weeks there was a high-profile federal raid just as if nothing had changed.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 11:47:43 AM »

Hmm? Did you move?

No, just here on business.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 12:05:55 PM »

fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »

That's it?  And we're supposed to be excited about this?  Doesn't do it for me, sorry.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 07:25:58 PM »

Not really. Pot money doesn't go to criminals, just old hippies who grow it in their basements. The reason it should be legalized is it is a completely harmless drug.

BTW I once heard in Mankato from one of my buddies about this cop his brother knows. He never arrests people for pot, he just confiscates. Then he sells the pot he confiscates. I already like this guy a lot more than most cops.

Why? He's just a thief. If he was doing it based on principle, he'd let the folks keep their pot.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 07:41:02 PM »

Before you know it,  the military will be filled with crazed gay dopers, who I suspect instead of destroying the poppy fields in Afghanistan, will be helping with the harvest. And then what, I ask you. What then? 

To quote a friend, "lolololol." I really doubt they're "destroying" anything.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 09:58:56 PM »

We've heard it all before. The administration puts out some big lie, the media projects it to the ends of the earth, everyone falls for it, and then everyone forgets about it when it turns out to be a lie.

Happened a few months ago when Eric Holder announced that federal raids on marijuana suppliers legal under state law would end. Within two weeks there was a high-profile federal raid just as if nothing had changed.

That's what I was thinking reading this, but maybe he means it this time, shrug
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 10:50:02 PM »

I really really really hope this doesn't become a political football.  GOP isn't that cruel, is it?  (rhetorical)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 10:59:15 PM »

I really really really hope this doesn't become a political football.  GOP isn't that cruel, is it?  (rhetorical)

This isn't a winning issue to oppose. The Republicans don't have anything to gain.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 11:37:46 PM »

Finally Obama does something good.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 02:00:34 AM »

I just read somewhere (and for the life of me I can't remember where and its really irritating) that one of the primary sources of income for Mexican drug cartels is selling weed in America.  The article also mentioned that many cartels are moving their farms to places within America because its cheaper and they don't have to worry about smuggling it into the country on top of selling it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »

This isn't a winning issue to oppose. The Republicans don't have anything to gain.

I mean, would a GOP-DEA and Justice Department start throwing cancer patients in jail again?  assuming that Obama is actually true to his word.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »

I mean, would a GOP-DEA and Justice Department start throwing cancer patients in jail again?  assuming that Obama is actually true to his word.

Well now that Obama's people run the Justice Department that means that they wouldn't be charged.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 02:20:05 PM »

Sorry guys, but I don't smell change in the air, in fact the only thing I smell is bullshit.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 02:37:05 PM »

Well now that Obama's people run the Justice Department that means that they wouldn't be charged.

supposedly, and I understand that.  question is if/when the GOP regains the executive do they simply reverse these pseudoprogressive marijuana policies and return to the dark ages?
Stampever
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 02:40:33 PM »

The should just give it the same classification as all the other controlled medications and get it over with.  That way it can be produced and sold legally, and the government can tax it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies