Which political group is more guilty of committing the historical fallacy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:50:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which political group is more guilty of committing the historical fallacy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above.
Conservatives

Marxists

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Which political group is more guilty of committing the historical fallacy?  (Read 585 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2009, 01:14:06 AM »

Taken simply from Wikipedia:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Marxist believes that all of history is the culmination of material forces acting upon social classes, and that these forces inevitably move the classes into restructuring themselves in their relationships to the means of production before finally obviating themselves in a utopian society. The conservative believes - depending upon his particular inclinations - that tradition, in whatever form he holds it to be, is the ultimate arbiter of all social value; in the most extreme form, the conservative believes that all of history is the culmination of spiritual forces acting upon individual souls, and that these forces inevitably result in the creation of a New Heaven and a New Earth.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:31:41 AM »

Conservatives. Teleological Marxism is frankly on the wane.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 10:39:38 AM »

On the wane? More like dead (to anyone with a still functional cerebral cortex). Though there is an element in neo-marxism which seems to be filled with apoclypatic glee at the prospect of soon-to-be (it is always soon-to-be) collapse of capitalism. Sort of like Christian fundamentalists and the rapture - but far less relevant and dangerous.

Conservative bastardization of the past on the other hand is very much alive and well, everywhere (though I might be tempted to mention cerebral cortexes here too, but I'll be polite).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 04:43:43 PM »

Certainly as far as academia goes, what Gully writes is correct. There are still Marxists, but Historical Materialism in a strict sense has been dead since the 1960's or so. And very, very, very dead since 1989.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 05:51:54 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2009, 05:53:53 PM by Howard Baker »

On the wane? More like dead (to anyone with a still functional cerebral cortex). Though there is an element in neo-marxism which seems to be filled with apoclypatic glee at the prospect of soon-to-be (it is always soon-to-be) collapse of capitalism. Sort of like Christian fundamentalists and the rapture - but far less relevant and dangerous.

Conservative bastardization of the past on the other hand is very much alive and well, everywhere (though I might be tempted to mention cerebral cortexes here too, but I'll be polite).

Finally a Ghyl post that isn't a full on diss of libertarianism!
I'll be damned!!!!
On the record I believe that conservatives are more guilty of committing historical fallacy just because they've always had a great bit of power.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »

That's what I meant. In particular, certain designations as post-capitalist, or just the outlook of some thinkers that expect a massive sea change in a handful of years. I used to read a lot of texts with this sort of mentality, but I haven't come across it once I focused on writings from the late 80s and on.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies