Opinion of FOX News
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:38:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of FOX News
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Opinion of FOX News
Freedom Nework

Horrible Network

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Opinion of FOX News  (Read 3309 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 12:30:51 AM »

Pure propaganda -nothing more.  I wish it were possible to ask the cable companies to take out specific channels, for this would definitely come front and center. 

Unfortunately when some have no compete clauses with contracts they sign you miss some.  For example here in the NY area you can not receive MSNBC if you have Verizon Fios (which is what I have) due to a contract MSNBC signed years ago with Cablevision.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 11:10:09 AM »

Pure propaganda -nothing more.  I wish it were possible to ask the cable companies to take out specific channels, for this would definitely come front and center. 
There has been rumors of a future with a la carte channels for a long time now, don't know if it will ever come to pass.  We can dream.

It seems that a French DSL company, Free, has just launch an offer for it, saw an ad yesterday on TV.

Just curious, would someone have an enough precise idea of their audience in term of figures or rank in the US?
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 11:49:01 AM »

Only channel on my tv with a parental block, I don't want my son to accidentally turn it on and catch the stupids. Cheesy

Of course you will unlock it in the future when he's older, just so you can show him what blithering idiots look like?  Tongue
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 12:36:12 PM »

Just curious, would someone have an enough precise idea of their audience in term of figures or rank in the US?
They rule as far as cable news channels go, but I'm pretty sure the audience pales in comparison to the network evening news numbers.  Here is a site discussing the cable news channel numbers, I'll look for one compairing them to the real networks.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »

Probably the worst culprit in the blending of entertainment and news.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 12:41:36 PM »

NBC Evening News had 8.3 million viewers last night.  cite
Fox News peaked at 2.9 million on Wed during prime time (last day numbers are available) cite

Yeah, Fox News is killing it...wait, what?
Stampever
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »

Fox News peaked at 2.9 million on Wed during prime time (last day numbers are available) cite

Which again makes you want to question why the Administration is trying to pick a fight with them, and why they think FOX drives the rest of the media.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 03:14:46 PM »

Only channel on my tv with a parental block, I don't want my son to accidentally turn it on and catch the stupids. Cheesy
Win. Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »

unfair to place cable and network on the same raw playing field and then pretend to derive anything from it.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 03:33:21 PM »

unfair to place cable and network on the same raw playing field and then pretend to derive anything from it.

At least we can say that Fox News became over the top on the cable. And can make the the 1/4 of the normal network, just according to figures dead0 posted.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 03:38:02 PM »

At least we can say that just because Fox has the highest cable ratings, that doesn't mean it is the forum for most of the country. When they compare their shows to shows on CNN or MSNBC, they are just a larger niche comparing themselves to smaller niches.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 03:38:11 PM »

Can't wait to see the usual assortment of hacks defend it as a legitimate news source and balanced network.

I'm not going to say that Fox News isn't bias... and horribly so, but I fail to see how that makes it any different from any other media outlet.  This bizarre notion that media outlets are supposed to be unbiased is an almost uniquely American one, and only in the last 50 or so years.  If you go almost anywhere else in the world, you will see that almost all journalism is tabloid journalism.  The British papers are about as reputable as the Weekly World News.  And to read the American papers that were around when the Founders proposed the first amendment would be like getting your news from the Daily Show... so the Founders were not basing their belief in freedom of the press on the notion that only "reputable" news sources should be allowed to cover the government.

There is no such thing as "unbiased".  People's opinions that one organization is more balanced than the others is based purely off of predetermined opinions.

Journalistic ethics are a farce.  There are no ethics in journalism.  Never have been, never will be.

I don't put my faith in any one opinion, or news organization.  I read the papers that I feel are the least bad, and use my judgment to filter out the crap.

That's how this works.  Not by declaring that one organization shouldn't be granted access because you don't like their stand on something.  If Bush did this to any news organization, can you imagine the anger that would cause with the people who are now giggling over Obama's exclusion of Fox News?

To declare a media outlet to not be a "real" news organization, and to use that as a basis for throwing them out of the loop... as a government...  If the National Enquirer wants to cover the Oval Office, the White House should credential them... they have a duty to do so.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 03:41:32 PM »

k....Fox News sucks, but their impact on the minds of Americans is overblown by their loudest detractors.  A very VERY small percentage of Americans, less than 1%, are watching Bill O and friends.  Nearly 3 times as many Americans get their news from the top network news program.  Yeah, FoxNews isn't available in as many homes as NBC....and?  It doesn't change the above facts.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 03:54:05 PM »

Can't wait to see the usual assortment of hacks defend it as a legitimate news source and balanced network.

I'm not going to say that Fox News isn't bias... and horribly so, but I fail to see how that makes it any different from any other media outlet.  This bizarre notion that media outlets are supposed to be unbiased is an almost uniquely American one, and only in the last 50 or so years.  If you go almost anywhere else in the world, you will see that almost all journalism is tabloid journalism.  The British papers are about as reputable as the Weekly World News.  And to read the American papers that were around when the Founders proposed the first amendment would be like getting your news from the Daily Show... so the Founders were not basing their belief in freedom of the press on the notion that only "reputable" news sources should be allowed to cover the government.

There is no such thing as "unbiased".  People's opinions that one organization is more balanced than the others is based purely off of predetermined opinions.

Journalistic ethics are a farce.  There are no ethics in journalism.  Never have been, never will be.

I don't put my faith in any one opinion, or news organization.  I read the papers that I feel are the least bad, and use my judgment to filter out the crap.

That's how this works.  Not by declaring that one organization shouldn't be granted access because you don't like their stand on something.  If Bush did this to any news organization, can you imagine the anger that would cause with the people who are now giggling over Obama's exclusion of Fox News?

To declare a media outlet to not be a "real" news organization, and to use that as a basis for throwing them out of the loop... as a government...  If the National Enquirer wants to cover the Oval Office, the White House should credential them... they have a duty to do so.

According to what I've seen of them i wouldn't reproach them their biases. I totally agree unbiased things are just a myth. We can just congratulate those who try to be as unbiased as possible, that's all. And personally, I've nothing against clearly biased media, I find it rather pretty interesting that there are clearly biased media.

I wouldn't reproach them their bias yes, i would reproach them their totally trash methods of "journalism", on several levels, still according to the few i've seen of them.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2009, 04:00:47 PM »

According to what I've seen of them i wouldn't reproach them their biases. I totally agree unbiased things are just a myth. We can just congratulate those who try to be as unbiased as possible, that's all. And personally, I've nothing against clearly biased media, I find it rather pretty interesting that there are clearly biased media.

I wouldn't reproach them their bias yes, i would reproach them their totally trash methods of "journalism", on several levels, still according to the few i've seen of them.

But my point is that that doesn't even matter.  The debate shouldn't be about whether Fox is biased or not.  The debate is about whether that should matter.

The Founding Fathers used to pay newspapers to attack and print lies about their opponents.  Clearly they didn't think that the presses freedom to cover government affairs was contingent on how fair news outlets were.

This notion that new outlets should be fair is not only ridiculous, but it draws this debate into dangerous territory.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2009, 04:14:20 PM »

But my point is that that doesn't even matter.  The debate shouldn't be about whether Fox is biased or not.  The debate is about whether that should matter.

The Founding Fathers used to pay newspapers to attack and print lies about their opponents.  Clearly they didn't think that the presses freedom to cover government affairs was contingent on how fair news outlets were.

This notion that new outlets should be fair is not only ridiculous, but it draws this debate into dangerous territory.

Oh personally, i wouldn't come with some legal measures about that, that's how it would come on a dangerous ground.

I just allow myself to criticize their methods from my point of view. Because, yep, me too, I'm not unbiased.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2009, 11:55:06 PM »

Is ir just me, or is Supersoulty one of our smartest posters?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2009, 05:12:51 AM »

Check out his posts on smoking.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 05:24:03 AM »

I loved it when he freaked out about Obama's decision to accept the nomination at INVESCO Field.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2009, 10:40:45 AM »

I loved it when he freaked out about Obama's decision to accept the nomination at INVESCO Field.

All the Republicans were like that. Screaming about his arrogance here would cost him thousands of votes.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2009, 02:00:56 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2009, 02:02:27 PM by px75 »

All the Republicans were like that. Screaming about his arrogance here would cost him thousands of votes.

Yeah, I remember. But soulty became so apoplectic that he made J.J. actually look thoughtful and rational.
I sincerely believed back then that he had lost it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2009, 02:01:20 PM »

Hmmm, I don't remember him going that crazy. Got a link to that thread?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2009, 02:11:40 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=78778.0

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Even his kids remind me of the Bush kids.  They act like they have never been told to do anything.

They do.  They made Obama make a promise that if he won the nomination the kids get a dog... WTF?  Kids extracting things from their parents.  They also seem to say whatever they want, which might be cute to some people, but I personally find it a little odd that they seem to have no idea that some behavior is a little unacceptable, even for a 10 year old.  Even worse, Obama trouts them out in front of the cameras with impunity, which isn't good for little kids.

Please reread the whole thread. It's hilarious.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 09:08:05 PM »

Yeah, he went crazy there.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2009, 12:14:28 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=78778.0

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Even his kids remind me of the Bush kids.  They act like they have never been told to do anything.

They do.  They made Obama make a promise that if he won the nomination the kids get a dog... WTF?  Kids extracting things from their parents.  They also seem to say whatever they want, which might be cute to some people, but I personally find it a little odd that they seem to have no idea that some behavior is a little unacceptable, even for a 10 year old.  Even worse, Obama trouts them out in front of the cameras with impunity, which isn't good for little kids.

Please reread the whole thread. It's hilarious.

Am now. The blatant use of the "Hitler ate sugar" fallacy near the beginning is quite amusing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies