Scozzafava's drop out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:36:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Scozzafava's drop out
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will we look back on Dede Scozzafava's dropping out as the historic end to moderate Republicans?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Scozzafava's drop out  (Read 2696 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »

Will we look back on Dede Scozzafava's dropping out as the historic end to moderate Republicans?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 12:13:40 PM »

Will we look back on Dede Scozzafava's dropping out as the historic end to moderate Republicans?

Maybe. 

Of course, it could also be an oft-repeated ode to horrible candidates who blow up their own campaigns.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 01:02:01 PM »

Olympia Snowe and Charlie Crist might want to take notice of what happened in NY-23.
Their number is going to come up, sooner or later. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 01:08:33 PM »

If Kirk & Simmons both lose their primaries maybe...

but Dede was chosen by the local NYGOP, not the voters or anything, and she turned out to largely be a terrible candidate who couldn't handle pressure
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 02:09:42 PM »

One liberal down.  The next one gets dumped on Tuesday.  AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 12:41:11 AM »

One liberal down.  The next one gets dumped on Tuesday.  AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me, do you think that Hoffman will be able to hold the seat in 2010 without a Democratic and Republican opponent on the ballot?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 01:03:34 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2009, 05:17:29 AM by Sen. Marokai Blue, PPT »

Probably.

I'm more of the opinion that this is more emblematic of America's ever-increasing ignorance, though, than anything else.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 01:06:57 AM »

Tell me, do you think that Hoffman will be able to hold the seat in 2010 without a Democratic and Republican opponent on the ballot?

Actually, yes, he probably could.  It's just that that district will disappear after redistricting, so he'll be gone by 2012 at the latest.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 04:37:43 AM »

I look at the 2006/2008 elections as the historical end to moderate Republicans.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 04:39:30 AM »

The next one? Owens, you mean? He's hardly a liberal, Coburn.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 12:06:19 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2009, 12:11:54 PM by paul718 »

In what ways was Scozzafava an alternative to Owens, besides gun control?  Wasn't she a huge spender in the State Assembly?

EDIT:  Apparently the Conservatives were isolating a number of Scozza's votes for tax increases, which she has justified (or attempted to justify).  Got my google onn.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 01:51:36 PM »

Actually I don't think so. If you look on the same day you have Chris Christie who if not win will come damn close to winning in NJ and you have Bob McDonnell who has done everything he could to avoid social issues and focus on economic and local ones. Tuesday is not going to be just about the ascendency of Conservative Republicans within the party but show prime examples of when people can and should avoid the divisive issues. Pat McCrory did the same thing in NC as McDonnell is in VA and came the closest of any Republican to winning the Governorship since probably 1992. Had in not been for the increased turnout for Obama NC would have a GOP Governor. There are otherways which the result could have been different like the McCain voters who voted for Perdue but essentially I don't see a deathknell to centrism. And going forward you got Rob Simmons and Mark Kirk who if they are able to win will show how an what moderates have to do to win. But you can't just have the base continue to feel ignored and then expect anything other then a revolt.

You also can't afford to nominate sh**tty candidates who would never survive a primary not because of there ideology but there lack of charisma which ironically means that Scozzafava was more like Tedisco then Hoffman is and its more of a strike against NY's way of conducting elections then anything else. I would have supported a Moderate in NY 20 over Tedisco had one had the chance to run in a primary, the same reason why I would have supported Hoffman in a primary in NY 23. It does no good for Moderates to be nominated if they can't win the general election because of there own suckiness and not there beleifs. If moderates wanted us to lose the race just to prove a point, I think they need to get there priorities straight and focus on good moderates who aren't crappy like Simmons and Kirk and make sure they win there primaries.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 04:43:17 PM »

I wonder if/how this will reflect upon Newt Gingrich.  I'd imagine he's rooting for Owens to win.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 04:53:33 PM »

Olympia Snowe and Charlie Crist might want to take notice of what happened in NY-23.

Sigh, trends aren't indefinite. Democrats were supposedly devoid of moderates in the mid-2000s (not true of course).
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 04:55:42 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2009, 05:17:15 PM by Karma Police »

Sigh, trends aren't indefinite. Democrats were supposedly devoid of moderates in the mid-2000s (not true of course).
Except the Republicans are devoid of moderates in the late 2000's and that is a true claim.

Anyways, I really doubt anyone claimed that in the early to mid 2000's considering that the Democrats were a bunch of pussies during those years whether it was on the Iraq War or on the Bush Tax Cuts.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »

Who exactly claimed that? David Broder, Jacob Weisberg and the rest of the Joe Lieberman Fan Club?

Unless of course they considered Gene Taylor, Jim Matheson, Mary Landrieu and Max Baucus liberals.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 06:08:28 PM »

Cool!
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 06:55:22 PM »

I tend to look at the retirement of Mark Hatfield, Nancy Kassebaum, Alan Simpson and Howard Baker as the end of moderate Republicanism.  That there are a small number of hangers-on, like maybe Dave Reichart in Washington, is sometimes a healing balm for those of us who are aged enough to remember the good old days.  But a Reichart here and a Snowe there doesn't amount to much of a movement or bloc.

And these days, I'm not all that sure even about Snowe.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »

As much as I'd like to self-justify my attention to this race as such, it's simply a result of the ideologization of American parties.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 07:30:45 PM »

I wonder if/how this will reflect upon Newt Gingrich.  I'd imagine he's rooting for Owens to win.

If he doesn't, will he take the opportunity to divorce his current wife?
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 02:04:25 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsDe-8cOSYY
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 02:28:26 AM »

In what ways was Scozzafava an alternative to Owens, besides gun control?  Wasn't she a huge spender in the State Assembly?

EDIT:  Apparently the Conservatives were isolating a number of Scozza's votes for tax increases, which she has justified (or attempted to justify).  Got my google onn.

You are correct.

Project VoteSmart has great records on elected public officials.

Both the liberal and conservative ratings organizations (Americans for Democratic Action and Conservative Party of New York) have Scozzafava on the left-wing of the Republicans in the New York Assembly (not a notoriously conservative group).  Moreover she has recently moved so far to the left in the past few years that she is well to the left of a lot of Democrats in the Assembly!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 08:00:14 PM »

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_state_surveys/new_york/what_ny_23_says_about_the_gop_and_its_voters

Rasmussen has actually been making the point, that Beet and Sam Spade have picked up on recently, for months actually.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 11:59:52 AM »

She should have stayed in the race.  The people of NY-23 would have had three options instead of two.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies