censorship in wartime
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:01:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  censorship in wartime
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Yes or no?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: censorship in wartime  (Read 5810 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2004, 02:23:47 AM »

No.

Neocons keep telling us that terrorists hate us because we're free. Okay, then if we destroy our freedoms because of the terrorists then we cave into them. They win. Anyone who supports censorship in wartime is therefore helping the  enemy and should be treated as such.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 02:49:20 AM »

You do what you have to do to win.  We can talk about fancy principals after the war, for now survival trumps all else.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 03:07:48 AM »

the problem is, it's a never ending war, pretty much.

Religious terrorists have never been defeated. Ever. Unless the change comes from the place that the terrorists originate-no bomb can stop religious terrorism.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 03:16:26 AM »

No. I believe in all the articles of the Constitutioon, no matter what day it is.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 07:43:50 AM »

Depends...if we're in for a fight for our lives, then you sometimes have to by-pass a fancy principle...but otherwise, no. As far as the war on terrorism is concerned, no.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 02:30:17 PM »

What harm can come from speaking your mind?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 02:32:56 PM »

No.

Neocons keep telling us that terrorists hate us because we're free. Okay, then if we destroy our freedoms because of the terrorists then we cave into them. They win. Anyone who supports censorship in wartime is therefore helping the  enemy and should be treated as such.

When the government tells you to shut the hell up, it's called censorship. When I tell you to shut the hell up, it's called an argument.

And the anti-war kooks need to shut the hell up.
Carioca
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 02:37:24 PM »

It depends on the circumstances
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 03:33:45 PM »

Truly, it does depend.
Reporting on the operational plans of forces engaged in the fighting is clearly something that should be censored during a war.
The same goes with detail on how various pieces of military hardware work.

Beyond that, I can't see any justification for censorship, but I haven't seen any indications that we have any censorship in areas outside of the areas I find it suitable in our current "war" on terrorism or in the War in Iraq.

In any case, I belive that the Pentagon Papers decision still holds, so the prospect of censorship laws in the US is rather remote at present.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 05:59:19 PM »

No.

When the government tells you to shut the hell up, it's called censorship. When I tell you to shut the hell up, it's called an argument.

Excellent point Uape sg exnaderite, and notice how Phillip could not think of a responce. His entire arguement is: "shut the hell up"
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 06:05:55 PM »

No.

BLOW ME!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 06:08:08 PM »

Damn Irish.

No.

Excellent point Uape sg exnaderite, and notice how Phillip could not think of a responce. His entire arguement is: "shut the hell up"

I'm not for war censorship. As for me calling kook war protesters idiots, that I'm for.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 06:12:15 PM »

sure your not flip-flopping?
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2004, 06:16:23 PM »

I voted yes. When a nation is fighting its freedom or  independence censorship should be allowed. WWII comes to mind.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2004, 06:21:12 PM »

Depends on the censorship.  Highly sensitive documents and such like material should definitely be censored, since their release could lead to compromised intelligence or security.  Anything that could give the enemy an advantage should be censored too.  However, I don't believe that citizens with no access to any sensitive information should be censored.  If you're fighting for freedom, what message does it send to abridge freedom in the process?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2004, 06:41:42 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2004, 06:52:05 PM by John Dibble »

Opinions and the release of battle results is not something to be censored. Tactical information and battle plans should be censored, at least to a degree, because that is a danger to the troops. Imagine, for instance, if the press reported in advance out plans in WWII on where we were going to land on D-Day! The Nazis would have slaughtered us.

The saying "Loose lips might sink ships" is still applicable today.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2004, 06:49:14 PM »

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-----Ben Franklin
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2004, 02:57:12 PM »

No!!!!

Censorship never!

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES!
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2004, 04:58:33 AM »

I'm talking about censorship in the newspapers. Of course the plan for D-Day should be secret.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies