Republicans win VG and NJ. What does this mean...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:27:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans win VG and NJ. What does this mean...  (Read 3527 times)
politicaladdict
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2009, 07:28:15 PM »

Christie(R) won in NJ by an amazing four ponts apart in a heavily democrat-state  49%-45%. Very unispected.

Previously, Whitman(R) won by just one point, 49%-48% and again in 47%-46%.

Mcdonnell(R) won in Virginia by a whopping 19 points 59%-41%. Which is said to be a whopping gap in Virginian history after the 1800s.

John Garamendi(D) won by just ten points 53%-43% in the 10th district of Claifornia. It was previously democrats usually leading by atleast 65%-33% since 2000.

Now the libs kept saying that if Mcdonnell wins it's not a big deal to Obama because huge African American tounout won't come out this year.

I bete they weren't expecting the huge Viginian gap and Christie four point gap.

But now, it seems that if all African American came out to vote for Deeds we would still win the state based on the numeral gap.

And Christie won by more than anybody thought and could probably gotten more without Daggett in there.

Could this be reflection on Obama?

This is what I think, Christie's victory in NJ due to Corzine's very, very unpopularity, and to a lesser extent, Obama.

Virginia, I think, IS  a clear reflection on Obama's policies.

And VG and NJ both went for Obama by comfertably margins.

The 10th district of Cali that Garamendi won happen to be a very liberal district anyways. And the democrats still got about an average of thirty-three points even when the republicans still had the house in 2002. Does a twenty-three point lower atleast show some kind of trend that the republicans might get the house back?

It just seems elections since Obama became president, despite who wins, seems to go less and less for democrats.

And the conservative Hoffman lost by just four points 49%-45% in a republican district that went for Obama. Atleast Hoffman pulled off knocking a lib rep out and got pretty good margin despite not even living in that district.

You thoughts about these issues.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »

VG? What does this mean?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 07:33:23 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2009, 08:29:10 PM by Lunar »

edit:  I Googled politicaladdict's posted email on his atlas profile just to quickly see if English wasn't his native language.  Gotta say, I'm more than a little disturbed by the one result.  Please don't rape me.
politicaladdict
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 07:34:59 PM »

VG? What does this mean?

Sorry! i ment VA.
politicaladdict
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 07:36:04 PM »

Wait, the Republicans won?  What?

WHY HASN'T ANYONE POSTED THIS YET??  THIS SITE IS FILLED WITH LIBERAL BIASES

What do you mean what? They won in VA and NJ.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 07:50:17 PM »

I dunno, what does it mean that Freudenthal gets 70% in Wyoming or Douglas gets 50% in Vermont?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 08:18:04 PM »

Once I read unispected I stopped reading....
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »

IT means several things. Both bad and good.

The first thing is that Independents for the first time since 2004 and probably 2002 choose the Republican over the Democrat overall. That has a lot to do with the candidates and how they ran there campaigns. If Republicans were smart they would follow the Christie and McDonnell path. That is avoid social issues and focus on the Economy and local issues such as education, taxes, infrastructure, etc. That doesn't mean you abandond or ignore social issues, it just means you don't shove them in peoples faces and you don't make the race about the Homos coming to eat you. McDonnell is a social conservative for sure, but he never once campaigned or promoted that. He instead focused on what would appeal to more people. He also had the luxury of not having a primary which allowed him to more easily avoid these issues and no worries about dividing the party either. Everything clicked in Virginia and if we want to start winning we got to start following that model more often. Its how to elect conservatives in a swing state.

Another thing that we got out of this is how not to win an election. That is in NY-23. Both the Conservative and REpublican candidates sucked. One was an elitist liberal to the left of many dems who was so inept in a tough race that she imploded under the pressure. The other was an inexperienced political novice, who was seen as more of an outsider by the district then the elitist pluck by the party establishment to run, and too conservative to win. Every other add was about Abortion and Gays and it was proven years ago in the 90's that dog won't hunt in NY anymore way back when it was tried as a method to save Frisa in 1996 and it only made it worse for him. If Hoffman ran on the debt, gov't spending, and taxes, he might be a Congressmen today. Of course he also flopped big time in the debate. Take out all the National Spin and hype and its likely that Owens has been leading on the ground for about a week or more and its likely that Hoffman was never even close to winning.   

Another bad one for the GOP is that despite what happened to Corzine, the Dems really escaped major harm in the Assembly. Though several local races did go Republican like the Freeholder seats in Bergen, etc. Meaning New Jersey was largely the economy and an unpopular Governor, nothing more.

Some good news is that Republicans did make major gains in Virginia, particulary reclaiming ground in the NOVA back to at least 2002 or 2000 levels and wiping out almost as many Dem Assembly gains in that time.

Also there appears some evidence of a GOP rebirth in Suburban New York. We won the Westchester County Executive seat, ousting what was thought to be a safe Dem. In Nassau co, Tom Souzzi is clinging to only a few hundred vote lead and eventhough he is likely to win reelection, the county assembly was seized by the GOP. The problem is despite recovery in Suburban NY, nothing will change in NY, untill the GOP can reverse the destructive trends upstate particulary in the metros like Syracuse and Rochester. Also the Conservative party has got to quit screwing our party over like splitting the Nassau vote allowing Souzzi to win.

I don't think there is any meaningfull swing against Obama. There was a swing for the GOP among Indies, which is good. Also there were no major midwestern or Mountain state races. All the interesting stuff occrured on the coasts. We know from SWVA that Appalachia is only swinging more against the Dems and that will be true across the South. If you are a blue dog in a rural Southern district, I suggest you have your bags packed and ready to go. What we don't know is whether this will have an effect anywhere else like the Midwest and Mountain states, or if its completely isolated. My guess is its somewhere in between.

There is BIG ANTI INCUMBENT TREND and that is what gives the GOP most hope especially in Governor's races where a sweep could put the GOP in control of a 12 Dem Governorships. In a landslide year not only will TN, KS, WY, and OK go but also CO, IA, ME, OR, PA, MI, WI, OH. You got states like ILL and NY where if it weren't for the collaspe of the GOP they would both be leaning towards pickups.

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 08:57:33 PM »

edit:  I Googled politicaladdict's posted email on his atlas profile just to quickly see if English wasn't his native language.  Gotta say, I'm more than a little disturbed by the one result.  Please don't rape me.

Holy sh**t.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 09:01:52 PM »

Holy sh**t.

Wow.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 09:07:46 PM »

Holy sh**t.

Wow.

Confused
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 09:15:46 PM »

Holy sh**t.

Wow.

Confused

Hey now.  Extremists (and espec. far righists) usually do have some sort of deviance.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »

Holy sh**t.

Wow.

Confused

Explains a lot about the seemingly mentally unstable op.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 01:31:51 PM »

This thread managed to go from fail-to-win in a mere three posts.
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 04:56:21 PM »

Regarding NJ- States bluer than NJ such as CA,CT,HI,RI,and VT have Republican governors except those Republican governors are considered Moderates. Another scenario is Maryland in 2002- Republican Bob Ehrich defeated Kathleen Kennedy Townsend by a 52-48 percent margin. Ehrlich-R lost re-election in 2006. Christie-R will be a one termer like Ehrlich-R.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 05:03:22 PM »

Regarding NJ- States bluer than NJ such as CA,CT,HI,RI,and VT have Republican governors except those Republican governors are considered Moderates. Another scenario is Maryland in 2002- Republican Bob Ehrich defeated Kathleen Kennedy Townsend by a 52-48 percent margin. Ehrlich-R lost re-election in 2006. Christie-R will be a one termer like Ehrlich-R.

post of the decade. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 05:12:43 PM »

This little incident is going to become one of the legends of Atlas.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 07:34:58 PM »

Gaahhhh!!!

Someone check if there's an Amber alert in effect.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 08:08:58 AM »

post of the decade. 

after seeing this thread turn, to use internets terms, "win," only Neal has the raw power of personality to even TRY to turn back to "fail."

good job, buddy
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies