NY-23 in 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:09:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  NY-23 in 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NY-23 in 2010  (Read 6405 times)
DemocratsVictory2008
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2009, 11:06:46 PM »

I just read that Hoffman may run again for the GOP. This would be a huge mistake for them by running a retread after the debacle on tuesday. NY-23 is very republican but more so at the local level as Obamas 52-47 win there was only slightly less than the national average. He didnt even campaign in upstate NY in the primary or the general and had he done so it would have been at least as Democratic as the rest of america. It is NOT a very religious, social conservative area at all. If Cuomo is at the top of the ballot and has an easy race for Governor, Owens should beat Hoffman fairly easily.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 11:18:35 PM »

I just read that Hoffman may run again for the GOP. This would be a huge mistake for them by running a retread after the debacle on tuesday. NY-23 is very republican but more so at the local level as Obamas 52-47 win there was only slightly less than the national average. He didnt even campaign in upstate NY in the primary or the general and had he done so it would have been at least as Democratic as the rest of america. It is NOT a very religious, social conservative area at all. If Cuomo is at the top of the ballot and has an easy race for Governor, Owens should beat Hoffman fairly easily.

I think Hoffman would be able to run an effective campaign as long as the Republicans don't nominate a centre-left RINO in a closed door meeting.  I mean, it is sad when the Republican is more liberal than the Democrat.  No wonder the far-right wingnuts were screaming bloody murder.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 11:20:16 PM »

I think Hoffman would be able to run an effective campaign as long as the Republicans don't nominate a centre-left RINO in a closed door meeting.  I mean, it is sad when the Republican is more liberal than the Democrat.  No wonder the far-right wingnuts were screaming bloody murder.

How is that sad? If anything, it reflects poorly on the Democrats.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 11:25:31 PM »

How is that sad? If anything, it reflects poorly on the Democrats.

Well, I believe that being a conservative democrat is better than being a liberal republican, so, in my mind, it shows poor on the Republicans.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 01:41:56 AM »

Upstate New York isn't the south.......
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 07:45:53 AM »

There should actually be a primary in 2010, right?  I imagine even a messy primary would be less acrimonious than this year's race.
Jacobtm

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 10:26:22 AM »

Without the massive support/funding from activists all over the country, Hoffman wouldn't have done nearly as well. In 2010, their attentions will be divided, and Hoffman would be lucky to poll in the mid 40's.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 12:51:42 PM »

There should actually be a primary in 2010, right?  I imagine even a messy primary would be less acrimonious than this year's race.

I doubt there'll be one. Considering all the institutional support Hoffman had from conservatives nationally and locally, I'd be surprised if any primary challenger to Hoffman gained much cash or traction.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 02:59:26 PM »

My main point wasn't the ideology of the candidate as much as it was the nominee shouldn't be drafted in secret.  I think that was the main cause of the uproar.  Sure, they didn't like the fact she was a RINO, but they didn't like that she was nominated behind closed doors and by a small group of people.  I'm sure if the people had been able to have a real primary for the GOP nomination and Scozzafava happened to win the primary, I don't think they would have been as vocal about it.  They still wouldn't have been happy, but they would have accepted it more as the "will of the people".  I mean, Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, and Rush Limbaugh while they are far right-wingers, do have brains and they are intelligent.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 03:08:37 PM »

My main point wasn't the ideology of the candidate as much as it was the nominee shouldn't be drafted in secret.  I think that was the main cause of the uproar.  Sure, they didn't like the fact she was a RINO, but they didn't like that she was nominated behind closed doors and by a small group of people.  I'm sure if the people had been able to have a real primary for the GOP nomination and Scozzafava happened to win the primary, I don't think they would have been as vocal about it.  They still wouldn't have been happy, but they would have accepted it more as the "will of the people".  I mean, Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, and Rush Limbaugh while they are far right-wingers, do have brains and they are intelligent.

Even Sarah? Squinting
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 03:44:37 PM »

My main point wasn't the ideology of the candidate as much as it was the nominee shouldn't be drafted in secret.  I think that was the main cause of the uproar.  Sure, they didn't like the fact she was a RINO, but they didn't like that she was nominated behind closed doors and by a small group of people.  I'm sure if the people had been able to have a real primary for the GOP nomination and Scozzafava happened to win the primary, I don't think they would have been as vocal about it.  They still wouldn't have been happy, but they would have accepted it more as the "will of the people". I mean, Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, and Rush Limbaugh while they are far right-wingers, do have brains and they are intelligent.

Even Sarah? Squinting

Even Sarah!!  Now, she doesn't use it a whole lot, but she does have brains!!
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 06:06:46 PM »

Well, I believe that being a conservative democrat is better than being a liberal republican, so, in my mind, it shows poor on the Republicans.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »

I'll look forward to Hoffman losing by a considerably bigger margin the second time around.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 10:24:48 PM »

Murtha will hook Owens up with enough pork to get reelected I think
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 10:32:51 PM »

We need to do what we did in the Lousianna special election in 2008. Switch candidates and find a much more politically experienced, mainstream conservative Republican who can win Hoffman's vote, some of the Dede vote that was just voting for the R, and finally some of the McHugh voters that didn't vote in 2009 but will in 2010. I am sure there are numerous people that would fit that description in that distract.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »

It's more similar to the Upper South than you might imagine actually.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 01:17:16 PM »

The district might be Republican, but it isn't conservative
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 02:53:04 PM »

Depends on your definition of conservative. McHugh certainly wasn't a RINO.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 10:03:51 PM »

True, but he was also a well established incumbent, not to mention Hoffman is clearly to his right.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 10:07:31 PM »

True, but he was also a well established incumbent, not to mention Hoffman is clearly to his right.

I am still praying Hoffman isn't our nominee in 2010, if my previous posts haven't made that clear already. If he does run though, I think he can win, but it will be more difficult and take more money and resources to accomplish.
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 03:18:51 PM »

Looking at the Democratic US House members from Upstate NY who won in GOP held seats 2006 and 2008 Democratic wave.
John Hall(NY-19) and Dan Maffei(NY-25) along with Hinchey,Higgins,and Slaughter are safe.
Murphy,Owens,Arcuri,and Massa will face tough races.
DemocratsVictory2008
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 11:12:35 PM »

of those 4..i'd probably rank Murphy as most likely to win in large part b/c Gillibrand on the ballot will help him a lot in NY-20. I 'd say Owens has a better shot than Arcuri based on a slightly more Democratic district and the fact that Hoffman could be back again as a retread. Massa is the most likely to lose based on the fact that McCain won his district and Kuhl was a major underperfomer in general. Massa also barely won in 08
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 11:27:14 PM »

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Welcome to the forum!!! Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 11:36:45 PM »

Cuomo, Schumer, and company will easily coat-tail Owen's re-election.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 08:15:22 AM »

Cuomo, Schumer, and company will easily coat-tail Owen's re-election.

Yeah, that's the part of the equation that everyone seems to be missing. The Democratic ticket will be headed by Cuomo/Schumer/Gillibrand, while the Republicans have Lazio/nobody/nobody. A 65-70% steamrolling a la Spitzer/Clinton in 2006 would mean positive coattails for the Dems in every district except maybe NY-26.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies