Best rigged election of the last 10 years.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:31:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Best rigged election of the last 10 years.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best rigged election of the last 10 years.  (Read 1882 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:44:56 AM »

Boy have there been some doosies of rigged-elections in these past 10 years. Iran, Zimbabwe, Russia, Afghanistan, even the USA in 2000.

But which was the best? Who pulled it off the most skillfully, seamlessly, with the fewest negative repurcussions for themselves?

I'm gonna give it to Russia/Putin, because he's the only one that I can think of who keeps stealing elections that he would win freely anyway. The majority wants him in power, and thus is fine with him stealing it...

Gotta love Russia.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »

NY-23 2009, MN Senate 2008 and Washington Governor 2006... obviously.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 12:42:50 PM »

It's not called a rigged election if the results are known a few months in advance - it's just an electoral-type event, an element of a certain cargo cult with but a superficial resemblance with elections as most of us know them. In any case, Putin would loose in the cargo cult organization competition to Belarus's Lukashenka - that guy is looking better in a fake coconut helmet.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 03:52:07 PM »

USA in 2000 wasn't rigged. Get over it.
Jacobtm

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »

AG, rig defined:

1 : to manipulate or control usually by deceptive or dishonest means <rig an election>
2 : to fix in advance for a desired result <rig the contest>

So I think an election stolen in a surprise, and a "fixed" election both qualify as rigged. But I agree that there's something less romantic about Putin's rigging of his election and the slapdash job of let's say, Ukraine 04/05 or Florida 2000.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 04:24:22 PM »

AG, rig defined:

1 : to manipulate or control usually by deceptive or dishonest means <rig an election>
2 : to fix in advance for a desired result <rig the contest>

So I think an election stolen in a surprise, and a "fixed" election both qualify as rigged. But I agree that there's something less romantic about Putin's rigging of his election and the slapdash job of let's say, Ukraine 04/05 or Florida 2000.

Is having an election a prerequisite for rigging it? Because in my book they haven't had an eleciton in Russian in quite some years now.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 08:00:37 PM »

Well it certainly wasn't a "fair" election by any stretch.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:24:34 PM »

Boy have there been some doosies of rigged-elections in these past 10 years. Iran, Zimbabwe, Russia, Afghanistan, even the USA in 2000.

But which was the best? Who pulled it off the most skillfully, seamlessly, with the fewest negative repurcussions for themselves?

I'm gonna give it to Russia/Putin, because he's the only one that I can think of who keeps stealing elections that he would win freely anyway. The majority wants him in power, and thus is fine with him stealing it...

Gotta love Russia.

nice job working 2000 usa into your little whine.

2000 was won fare and square by Pres Bush and any one with any honor knows that.  Why cant you people let it go all ready?  We won.  you lost get over it.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 06:36:20 AM »

Gotta love Russia.

2000 was won fare and square by Pres Bush and any one with any honor knows that.  Why cant you people let it go all ready?  We won.  you lost get over it.

Definitely dropped on his head as a baby...
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 06:45:34 AM »

Gotta love Russia.

As much as I hate to say it, he's right.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 06:56:15 AM »

Facts are meaningless when insulting someone attempting to defend Bush.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 07:02:47 AM »

Gotta love Russia.

If the 2000 US Presidential, or for that matter, any US Presidential election was truly fair, the popular vote would've decided the victor all the time.  Now indeed, most of the time the EC winner is also the PV winner, but 2000 was the most recent example of how screwed up the American Presidential election system really is.  So, whilst not rigged (I most certainly don't think it was), Bush won unfairly in 2000 as he was not ahead in the popular vote.  If he was ahead in the nationwide PV, I would not be typing this right now.

As for Coburn, 'tis best that you're not caught agreeing with him, for obvious reasons.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 07:10:59 AM »

Especially on the rare occasion when he's right.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 07:34:02 AM »

Yes, Bush won unfairly. But he won according to the American system, and people need to accept that. If you don't like it, take up FPTP or PR or something. It would probably make more sense.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 09:06:28 AM »

Yes, Bush won unfairly. But he won according to the American system, and people need to accept that. If you don't like it, take up FPTP or PR or something. It would probably make more sense.

Yeah, I am going to say taking up proportional representation for presidential elections is not the best/most feasible idea...but I'd simply love to be proved wrong on that one.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 12:52:30 PM »

Yeah, I am going to say taking up proportional representation for presidential elections is not the best/most feasible idea...but I'd simply love to be proved wrong on that one.

Technically, a FPTP system in a single-seat election is a proportionnal method.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 11:24:29 PM »

Florida was a moment of deep shame to the American political system, including both the major parties.

As for the question, Russia does it pretty seemlessly.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 11:25:24 PM »

Florida was a moment of deep shame to the American political system, including both the major parties.

As for the question, Russia does it pretty seemlessly.

Indeed, well spoken. Florida was the paramount of flaw in the American political system.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 11:39:13 PM »

Well it certainly wasn't a "fair" election by any stretch.

It was as fair as any election that has ever happened in the US or UK. Might not qualify as fair in your book - but you sure have high standards.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 11:40:28 PM »

Gotta love Russia.

If the 2000 US Presidential, or for that matter, any US Presidential election was truly fair, the popular vote would've decided the victor all the time. 

What the hell does it have w/ a fair conduct of elections?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 11:42:01 PM »

No it doesn't. It simply chose not to run elections that would even qualify as rigged: unless, of course, a "rigged election" doesn't have to be an "election" in the first place.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 09:25:13 AM »

Question: What percentage of posters actually think before they type?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies