Colorado 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:35:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Colorado 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Colorado 2010  (Read 8130 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2009, 01:27:18 PM »
« edited: November 07, 2009, 06:13:49 PM by Governor Vepres »

Might as well put this up now.

The Governor's race is looking to be very interesting. Moderate Democrat Bill Ritter is running for reelection with falling approval ratings. Surprisingly, much of that fall was due to Hispanics no longer supporting him. To make matters worse, he had to make significant cuts, particularly in eduction, to deal with the loss of revenue from the recession. However, Colorado's economy is far stronger than most of the country's economy with an unemployment rate of ~7% that is falling.

Ritter pushed for a "new energy economy", and continues to do so. A large number of bills designed to encourage the use of renewable energy have been signed by the Governor. He also signed the Colorado Healthcare Affordability Act last spring. According to The Children's Hospital in Denver, the bill would, if executed correctly, generate over $1 billion in revenue and insure over 150,000 Coloradan children as well as increase Medicaid payouts. However, opponents argue that the fee administered on hospitals to generate the revenue would hurt the healthcare system.

The two main candidates on the Republican side are Fmr. CO-3 Representative Scott McInnis and minority leader of the state Senate Josh Penry. Penry railed against corruption in his party and is seen by many as what the next generation of Republicans should look like. McInnis has money and is more established, but can a man so conservative win in such an independent state?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 05:34:55 PM »

I don't know about his accomplishments but Ritter seems to be very adept at making enemies.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 05:42:56 PM »

Might as well put this up now.

The Governor's race is looking to be very interesting. Moderate Democrat Bill Ritter is running for reelection with falling approval ratings. Surprisingly, much of that fall was due to Hispanics no longer supporting him. To make matters worse, he had to make significant cuts, particularly in eduction, to deal with the loss of revenue from the recession. However, Colorado's economy is far stronger than most of the country's economy with an unemployment rate of ~7% that is falling.

Ritter pushed for a "new energy economy", and continues to do so. A large number of bills designed to encourage the use of renewable energy have been signed by the Governor. He also signed the Colorado Healthcare Affordability Act last spring. According to The Children's Hospital in Denver, the bill would, if executed correctly, generate over $1 billion in revenue and insure over 150,000 Coloradan children as well as increase Medicaid payouts. However, opponents argue that the fee administered on hospitals to generate the revenue would hurt the healthcare system.

The two main candidates on the Republican side are Fmr. CO-4 Representative Scott McInnis and minority leader of the state Senate Josh Penry. Penry railed against corruption in his party and is seen by many as what the next generation of Republicans should look like. McInnis has money and is more established, but can a man so conservative win in such an independent state?

McInnis represented CO-03 not CO-04.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:41:52 PM »

Does anybody know if the 2010 election is an open primary? I'd like to be able to vote for whoever I want regardless of party affiliation.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 05:00:12 AM »

I believe Colorado has open primaries?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 01:07:05 PM »

I believe Colorado has open primaries?

Nope. Ironic as we have a high proportion of independents.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 01:12:24 PM »

McInnis declared at a forum at Colorado Christian University that he was "100% pro-life". This is a slide to the right, as he was a moderate on the issue in congress. Dan Maes came off as a hardcore social conservative, but he doesn't really stand a chance. Penry challenged McInnis' switch on the abortion issue and stated, "I'm pro life. I believe in traditional marriage. And I have a consistent record of that." However, it is unclear as to whether Penry would support civil unions or not (if he does, he won't bring it up now).

http://www.denverpost.com/politics/ci_13739171
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 08:18:49 PM »

Colorado needs to have an open primary.  If not then, whatever that sucks.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 07:01:57 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2009, 07:04:16 PM by Governor Vepres »

[cry]Penry is out of the race[/cry]

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/governors/co-gov-penry-to-exit-race.html?wprss=thefix
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 07:10:11 PM »

Hah, now the GOP will be stuck with McInnis, that's a little sad even if he's a better candidate is a far less authentic one.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 08:12:07 PM »

Bill Ritter is a arse clown, I had enough of that fool.  I'm voting for McInnis.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »

Bill Ritter is a arse clown, I had enough of that fool.  I'm voting for McInnis.

What is your biggest complaint? 

I know he's unpopular, but a lot of that has to do with being forced to do budget cuts.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 08:52:06 PM »

What is your biggest complaint? 

I know he's unpopular, but a lot of that has to do with being forced to do budget cuts.

That, plus he's done little to help the Hispanic community, has had a fairly conservative record when it comes to unions, appointed an unknown to the Senate, has been charged with destroying jobs in the oil and gas industry in the state (I don't think this is true), and has been fairly hands off when it comes to his legislative agenda. He signed a bill in April 2009 that would create a "hospital provider fee" to increase the coverage of the state Medicaid program. While the  results could be good, some would say the taxes would hurt quality and efficiency.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 08:55:02 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2009, 08:57:11 PM by Lunar »

Oh, I know liberal complaints about him, god I have to read their emails to his campaign every now and then Tongue  He just doesn't seem like that unlikeable of a fellow or that much of failure, Colorado is doing okay economically but balancing a budget is just rough since you gotta hurt somebody.

But Independents are the most important group in the CO electorate, Ritter is making specific targeted messages to the Democratic base, like on the public option (which doesn't really matter).
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 09:22:59 PM »

Oh, I know liberal complaints about him, god I have to read their emails to his campaign every now and then Tongue  He just doesn't seem like that unlikeable of a fellow or that much of failure, Colorado is doing okay economically but balancing a budget is just rough since you gotta hurt somebody.

But Independents are the most important group in the CO electorate, Ritter is making specific targeted messages to the Democratic base, like on the public option (which doesn't really matter).

Yes, add to that that the fact that he has had a low profile and has been pretty hand-off in the legislative side of things, the main thing people notice are his big cuts this year.

I honestly think that, if McInnis becomes the GOP nominee, a strong third party/independent candidate could emerge as neither are too appealing IMO.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 10:24:36 PM »

Fmr. Congressman Tom Tancredo is considering running in the Gubernatorial primary, which would make for an interesting primary!

He said that he supported Penry and that he was disappointed when he dropped out, and thus is reconsidering whether he'll run or not.

http://www.denverpost.com/localpolitics/ci_13751820
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 10:28:27 PM »

I certainly won't be voting for Bill Ritter. How dare that bastard raise my college tuition. Of course, I can't vote Republican either. I'll probably vote third party and won't give a damn if/when Ritter loses.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 11:16:35 PM »

I certainly won't be voting for Bill Ritter. How dare that bastard raise my college tuition. Of course, I can't vote Republican either. I'll probably vote third party and won't give a damn if/when Ritter loses.

Third parties FTW! (er, FTL Tongue)

I think there is a possibility a strong third party candidate emerges in this election, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 11:25:50 PM »

Right now I'm either voting for McInnis or 3rd.  I need to see who the 3rd party candidate is and what their policies are.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 04:53:19 AM »

I certainly won't be voting for Bill Ritter. How dare that bastard raise my college tuition.

Is it being raised 32% mid-semester?  then quit complaining seriously.  no one likes anyone that complains when they only got an A- on the midterm, and you are that person right now, don't be that person that nobody likes
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 04:54:36 AM »

Yes, add to that that the fact that he has had a low profile and has been pretty hand-off in the legislative side of things, the main thing people notice are his big cuts this year.

I honestly think that, if McInnis becomes the GOP nominee, a strong third party/independent candidate could emerge as neither are too appealing IMO.

dawg, if you define the terms of how you interpret "strong" I'll bet you <$25.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 11:17:16 AM »

dawg, if you define the terms of how you interpret "strong" I'll bet you <$25.

By "strong", I mean in the relative sense. 5%< statewide.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 12:20:36 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2009, 12:26:18 PM by Aizen »

I certainly won't be voting for Bill Ritter. How dare that bastard raise my college tuition.

Is it being raised 32% mid-semester?  then quit complaining seriously.  no one likes anyone that complains when they only got an A- on the midterm, and you are that person right now, don't be that person that nobody likes

1. Your analogy is borderline retarded and doesn't even make sense. I suggest you try again as I know you can do better.

2. It's going to be raised 7-10%. That's still significant and it is actually something that directly affects me unlike most  things in politics. That is money that could be going to alcohol or something. So I can "whine" if I damn well please.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 12:53:26 PM »

I may or may not have typed that coming home from a bar right before I passed out, evidenced possibly by me attempting to make some sort of PayPal bet at the same time.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 04:07:55 PM »

It's sounding like Tancredo will be running:

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-tancredo-govs-race-111109,0,518466.story

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Best news Ritter's had in a while.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies