Joseph Cao has a long career ahead of him
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:43:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joseph Cao has a long career ahead of him
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Joseph Cao has a long career ahead of him  (Read 10301 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2009, 04:08:18 AM »

Lol.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2009, 04:14:49 AM »

Cao wouldn't have won in the general, but now he won't even win the primary.

LOL even I don't think the republicans are that stupid.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2009, 01:07:45 PM »

If Cao runs for re-election, keep in mind his loss isn't entirely a foregone conclusion. A bitter primary on the Democratic side (which happen quite often in this city) could end up with a white candidate that blacks don't show up to vote for or a black candidate that whites pick Cao over (especially if he guy moderates a bit over the next year).

Not saying he'll win, or even that it's at all probable, but if he wants to he can throw the dice here.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »

Cao wouldn't have won in the general, but now he won't even win the primary.

LOL even I don't think the republicans are that stupid.

I do.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »

It's an open primary, in a district where Republicans are outnumbered hilarious to one. Good luck primarying an incumbent - the only reason it's at all possible is that the Dem primary will be the one that attracts all the interest.
Stampever
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2009, 04:08:05 PM »

He's a one-term wonder, of course, and it's very likely that he never gets elected to anything again. But he'll have other opportunities for the rest of his life.

Are you smoking crack?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2009, 04:09:12 PM »

He's a one-term wonder, of course, and it's very likely that he never gets elected to anything again. But he'll have other opportunities for the rest of his life.

Are you smoking crack?

Do you have anything to say to this?
Stampever
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2009, 04:12:58 PM »

Are you smoking crack?

I think I just did.  Your opening post sounds like it was written by someone on drugs.  "He's a one-term wonder" .... ok, maybe.  However, as he did with this vote, if he represents his district and they are happy, he can be reelected.  After all, isn't that the role of a Representative?  Be the voice of your district?  Additionally, "he'll have other opportunities for the rest of his life."  Well duh!  Handing out smiley-face stickers at Wal-mart is an opportunity.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »

He can be reelected. But he won't be. We knew it on election night. Nothing has changed. He'll lose unless his opponent is found with cash in his freezer.

I'm going to ignore the rest, as you clearly don't understand what I'm saying.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2009, 04:29:26 PM »

Are you smoking crack?

I think I just did.  Your opening post sounds like it was written by someone on drugs.  "He's a one-term wonder" .... ok, maybe.  However, as he did with this vote, if he represents his district and they are happy, he can be reelected.  After all, isn't that the role of a Representative?  Be the voice of your district?  Additionally, "he'll have other opportunities for the rest of his life."  Well duh!  Handing out smiley-face stickers at Wal-mart is an opportunity.

Your two arguments as to why Xahar sounds like he's on drugs are:
1- Cao can get reelected...um, okay, not according to basically 99% of experts, but if you want to say Cao has a reasonable shot at being reelected, whatever.  Sure, he almost lost in a special election against a guy who was just caught with $90k in cash in his freezer and would have certainly lost to Jefferson in the general election if it had been held on election day...but maybe Cao will have a long and exciting Congressional career!
2- Xahar said "opportunity" in a way that was obvious from his context, but if you distort it, you can make it seem really confusing.  "Opportunities for what, American Idol guest appearances?"  C'mon dude, grow up that makes no sense.
Stampever
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2009, 04:42:56 PM »

Are you smoking crack?

Your two arguments as to why Xahar sounds like he's on drugs are:
1- Cao can get reelected...um, okay, not according to basically 99% of experts, but if you want to say Cao has a reasonable shot at being reelected, whatever.  Sure, he almost lost in a special election against a guy who was just caught with $90k in cash in his freezer and would have certainly lost to Jefferson in the general election if it had been held on election day...but maybe Cao will have a long and exciting Congressional career!
2- Xahar said "opportunity" in a way that was obvious from his context, but if you distort it, you can make it seem really confusing.  "Opportunities for what, American Idol guest appearances?"  C'mon dude, grow up that makes no sense.

I think my comments perfectly matched that of Xahars (that was the point I was going for, so thank you for making the connection).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2009, 04:44:34 PM »

Sure, he almost lost in a special election against a guy who was just caught with $90k in cash in his freezer and would have certainly lost to Jefferson in the general election if it had been held on election day...
Lol garden path sentence. At first I thought you were saying he almost lost against a guy who would certainly have lost to Jefferson in the general election. (And I don't think it was "just", though maybe I need to refresh my memory.)

You must be logged in to read this quote.
To an extent. Still a little cryptic. Government-affine business opportunities, that sort of thing? Rent-a-quoter?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2009, 07:30:16 PM »

LOL: http://washingtonindependent.com/67037/the-war-on-joseph-cao

It's funny because they write just like Coburn.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »

As Cao is Dostoyevsky nut, he's obviously intelligent enough to know what's he's doing.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2009, 07:47:03 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2009, 08:45:08 PM »

I do so hope that those people are just your socks, Lunar.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2009, 08:48:16 PM »

they are images from the link above my post.

the actual group though does have a lot of sarcastic posts, so I don't know

AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2009, 03:16:07 AM »

Does everyone in this thread doubt that he voted it because of his Catholic beliefs or something?

RCC social teaching is a lot more economically leftist than most Americans realize, especially when it comes down to something that's a matter of life and death.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2009, 03:25:40 AM »

As much as I may disagree with Cao's vote these people really should shut up. They know nothing about his motivations for voting for this bill.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2009, 04:08:05 AM »

Are you trying to say that Joe Ocho's facebook wall post may have been less than well thought out and reasoned?  I certainly learned a lot about Asian-American culture from it.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2009, 04:46:04 AM »

Are you trying to say that Joe Ocho's facebook wall post may have been less than well thought out and reasoned?  I certainly learned a lot about Asian-American culture from it.

Right. How ignorant of me. Them Asians sure do likes them old folks.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2009, 04:48:58 AM »

Right. How ignorant of me. Them Asians sure do likes them old folks.

Which would explain why any true Asian would vote against health care reform, that's correct.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2009, 04:50:11 AM »

Don't have a Cao, Lunar.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of