Electoral College in each state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:36:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Electoral College in each state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Electoral College in each state?  (Read 6837 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2009, 08:46:57 PM »

How about if there was an Electoral College in each state, with a certain number of Electoral Votes in each county? It would probably take longer to call the winner of an election, but it would be interesting.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:12:06 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2010, 11:17:02 AM by Orleanser »

I remember somebody made a thread like this concerning Wisconsin county EVs in 2004, and found that Bush would probably have won the state. dfg
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 03:05:27 PM »

It's absolutely a legitimate question for electoral college supporters? Why don't we elect the Governor of Illinois with a county based electoral college system? It's not fair that Chicago have that much influence! Sad Sad

I think that a county with 500 farmers should at least be entitled to the same representation that a Chicago suburb with 50,000 gets.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 03:15:06 PM »

It's absolutely a legitimate question for electoral college supporters? Why don't we elect the Governor of Illinois with a county based electoral college system? It's not fair that Chicago have that much influence! Sad Sad

I think that a county with 500 farmers should at least be entitled to the same representation that a Chicago suburb with 50,000 gets.

States have (in theory) more power than the federal government, and they created it. Counties have less power than states and the states created them, not the other way around. The core argument in favor of the EC is that states should have more power than the federal government, and thus should control the executive branch (which is still very proportional, given that the EC does use house seats too).

The Council of ministers in the EU is based on similar principles. Surely you don't oppose that (though as a German resident, you may be biased).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 03:41:48 PM »

The Council of ministers in the EU is based on similar principles. Surely you don't oppose that (though as a German resident, you may be biased).

Yes, I strongly oppose the way the Council of Ministers is "elected".
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 03:48:32 PM »

All your arguments revolve around an "appeal to proportional representation" fallacy. Good government is not necessarily 100% representative.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »

No, I'm not a fan of proportional representation at all in reality (except STV based systems like in Atlasia).

My ideal electoral system would be IRV in single member districts. But the thing is that all districts have a similar amount of people.

I'm not advocating proportionality, but rather equality.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »

No, I'm not a fan of proportional representation at all in reality (except STV based systems like in Atlasia).

My ideal electoral system would be IRV in single member districts. But the thing is that all districts have a similar amount of people.

I'm not advocating proportionality, but rather equality.

All your arguments revolve around an "appeal to 100% equal proportional representation" fallacy. Good government is not necessarily 100% representative.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 04:00:29 PM »

Good government need not necessarily be 100% representative, just as 100% representative government need not be good.

But being 100% representative doesn't make government any worse either. Isn't this a debate on the fairness of electoral systems? Wouldn't you prefer to treat every citizen equally?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 04:15:17 PM »

Good government need not necessarily be 100% representative, just as 100% representative government need not be good.

But being 100% representative doesn't make government any worse either. Isn't this a debate on the fairness of electoral systems? Wouldn't you prefer to treat every citizen equally?

They are. They each equally influence which candidate their state's electors go to.

Now, I think that every citizen being treated equally is all fine and good, but there must be a check on rampant tyranny of the majority. Now, you could say that we have tyranny of the minority in the Senate and electoral college. However, remember that the US House, Governors, State legislatures, County governments, city governments, townships in the NE, are all "fair". These institutions affect my life far more than the two "unfair" ones. Even the US House, I would argue, is more powerful because legislation almost always starts there, thus shaping the debate (which carries over to the Senate).

I don't care that Wyoming has proportionately more power than Colorado in the Senate and electoral college because, in the end, they still are far less significant to the federal government than Colorado. Places like Chicago get far more attention than Colorado despite the Senate and electoral college.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 04:23:45 PM »

Look at it this way....500,000 people in Wyoming send 2 senators to the Senate that can block EVERYTHING through filibustering if the Senate numbers are right.

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 04:28:50 PM »

Look at it this way....500,000 people in Wyoming send 2 senators to the Senate that can block EVERYTHING through filibustering if the Senate numbers are right.

This is a fallacious argument, as at least 38 other senators must agree with them.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »

This is a fallacious argument, as at least 38 other senators must agree with them.

Yes, but what I'm saying is that the unequal distribution of Senate seats is even worse because a small minority of 40 senators can block almost anything.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 04:41:54 PM »

I remember somebody made a thread like this concerning Wisconsin county EVs in 2004, and found that Bush would probably have won the state. dfg

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=13130.0
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 07:35:37 PM »

Except for the holds that various GOP senators have been using to get more pork for their state. In any case, if you take the 40 senators from the least populous 20 states, you're still only talking about 10 percent of the population of the US.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 09:49:13 PM »

Now, I think that every citizen being treated equally is all fine and good, but there must be a check on rampant tyranny of the majority.

The way to do that is by requiring a supermajority, not by giving some people more voting power.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 10:32:15 PM »

Now, I think that every citizen being treated equally is all fine and good, but there must be a check on rampant tyranny of the majority.

The way to do that is by requiring a supermajority, not by giving some people more voting power.

No, it's hard enough getting majority of large egos to agree Tongue
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 11:37:57 AM »

I've actually thought about this and found the idea very interesting.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 08:42:54 PM »

I think there are some States that have such a system.  Mississippi, maybe?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 12:35:06 AM »

Georgia used to, but it was declared unconstitutional in the 1960s or thereabouts.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 12:46:42 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2010, 02:11:15 PM by Barnes »

Georgia used to, but it was declared unconstitutional in the 1960s or thereabouts.

Well, it was like the electoral college.

Basically, counties were divided into three groups. Urban, Town, and Rural. Urban counties got 6 votes each, Town 4, and Rural 2. There were only eight classified Urban counties, 30 Town counties, and Rural made up the remaining 121.

So, of course, whoever won the rural area, even though it only made up 32% of GA's population, won. As you might have guessed, this was primarily used to disenfranchise Blacks who lived in the large cities.

If you want to read more about it, check it out here.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 10:26:27 AM »

Damn, looks awful.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »