Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 03:29:54 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Report reveals how Chinese citizens with grievances are being silenced in prison
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Report reveals how Chinese citizens with grievances are being silenced in prison  (Read 1524 times)
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2009, 07:38:46 am »
Ignore

..but the PRC says they don't exist.  link

They travel thousands of miles to Beijing to bring their problems – land-grabbing, bullying, eviction or abuse by local officials – to the government's attention. But instead of obtaining justice, a shocking new report reveals that many are thrown into sordid and illegal "black jails" where they may be abused, beaten, tortured, raped, robbed, and deprived of food, sleep and medical care.

The Chinese government says such jails are a myth. "Things like this do not exist in China," a Ministry of Foreign Affairs official said in April. In June the government reiterated this stance when an official declared: "There are no black jails in the country." But the publication on the eve of Barack Obama's visit to China of such overwhelming evidence of secret abuse at the heart of the governing system will be a grave embarrassment to his hosts.

Survivors of the black jails have given detailed accounts of the horrors they experienced there. Li Ruirui was 20 years old when she came from Anhui province to petition the government about what she said was mistreatment by her classmates and schoolteachers. But instead of presenting her petition she was locked in a filthy store-room with other petitioners where they were watched over by a gang of thugs, one of whom raped her, she claims.

"The main reason I came to Beijing to petition was that I was mocked in school by my teachers and classmates," she said. "I was forced to go to the Juyuan Hotel ... [where] I was living with more than 10 people in a dining room. Men and women, we all lived together. We slept in bunk beds ... The beds and the room were very dirty and messy. The guards forbade us to go out."

<snip>
I know I know, shocking!

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 07:41:09 am »
Ignore

So what are we supposed to do there, dead0man? Restrict free trade? Intervene militarily?

Life is change --
How it differs from the rocks
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

- Jefferson Airplane, "Crown of Creation"

The right to die in Iraq was a right not previously possessed by Americans for twelve long years.  Bush rectified that.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 08:22:51 am »
Ignore

Restrict trade would be enough.  There are lots of poor places less funked up than mainland China that would be more than happy to make our crap for us.

{Prepares for an insult and to have the discussion go off in a crazy...likely irrelevant direction}

The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:26:09 am »
Ignore

Restrict trade would be enough.  There are lots of poor places less funked up than mainland China that would be more than happy to make our crap for us.

All you would do by that would be to make poorer the citizens of China who craft goods for the American market, the citizens of America who sell them, and encourage the nativist protectionists in our nation, while doing nothing to harm China's massive and largely self-sufficient economy.

Life is change --
How it differs from the rocks
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

- Jefferson Airplane, "Crown of Creation"

The right to die in Iraq was a right not previously possessed by Americans for twelve long years.  Bush rectified that.
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islan
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:54:33 am »
Ignore

All you would do by that would be to make poorer the citizens of China who craft goods for the American market, the citizens of America who sell them, and encourage the nativist protectionists in our nation, while doing nothing to harm China's massive and largely self-sufficient economy.

Agreed......we spew the standard rhetoric about human rights, blah blah blah, but we kiss China's ass at every turn and that's not going to stop anytime soon.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 09:57:54 am »
Ignore

All you would do by that would be to make poorer the citizens of China who craft goods for the American market,
Dont care
the citizens of America who sell them
You clearly missed the part about making our cheap sh**t in a different poor country....not that you missing something surprises anybody
, and encourage the nativist protectionists in our nation,
dont care
while doing nothing to harm China's massive and largely self-sufficient economy.
Again, don't care.  As long as we aren't supporting their funkedupedness.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 12:42:03 pm »
Ignore

You know while I agree in principle from an economic point of view (and why is it that economic POVs and Principles are usually held as opposites?) it probably isn't a good idea for the United States to get all pissy on China right now.

Totally unshocking otherwise.

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islan
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 02:19:10 pm »
Ignore

You know while I agree in principle from an economic point of view (and why is it that economic POVs and Principles are usually held as opposites?) it probably isn't a good idea for the United States to get all pissy on China right now.

We never get pissy with China....and they know it.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 04:50:11 pm »
Ignore

We never get pissy with China....and they know it.

Exactly. Why would you start now?

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 05:19:58 pm »
Ignore

Sanctions are one of the worst methods of punishing nations ever attempted.

Judäischen Volksfront
exnaderite
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -8.26

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 09:58:58 pm »
Ignore

It's not like the US does not have intelligence agents who seize people off the street - in foreign countries, to boot - and send them to third-world dictatorships to be tortured. Nope, Uncle Sam has never done that...

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 08:57:36 pm »
Ignore

Sanctions are one of the worst methods of punishing nations ever attempted.

The alternative being war?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:09:37 pm by Хahar »Logged

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
YaBB God
Bulgaria

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 03:29:36 pm »
Ignore

All you would do by that would be to make poorer the citizens of China who craft goods for the American market,
Dont care

You want sanctions imposed on China because of what their government is doing to it's citizens and yet you don't care about them?

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 12:30:31 am »
Ignore

I care enough to code my posts properly Wink

I "care" about everybody and don't think anybody should have to live as unfree as poor people under the PRC do.  I don't care if a random dude has a job or not. 

(of course I'd prefer a random dude has a job, but I'd rather he be free....and I understand he may have different wishes and desires...and that's cool too)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout