Should John Muhammad be executed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:21:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should John Muhammad be executed?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: The DC Sniper
Yep

No

Burn in hell prick

He can be rehabilitated

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Should John Muhammad be executed?  (Read 13650 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 02:55:20 PM »

Well for the record Lewis, your making it look like I said that, which I didn't.  Lewis' quote is from the article I posted, not from me.

Disappointing, Lewis.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 03:00:38 PM »

I have no sympathy at all for this murder. I oppose death penalty however. He should he held in small cell until the rest of his miserable life. That's much worse than injection.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 03:12:30 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2009, 03:28:18 PM by Grumpy Gramps »

No.  It's concerning that he has only received seven years of punishment for killing ten people.  Furthermore, it's also concerning that so many people support the death penalty because they believe that his punishment will somehow continue after he dies; i.e. that the phrase "burn in hell" is intended literally.  Roll Eyes

Yeah, we're the same ilk who do hokus pokus things like offer Inks our prayers for his health......we're not of the congnoscenti like you and many others here.  Roll Eyes
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 03:39:41 PM »

Well for the record Lewis, your making it look like I said that, which I didn't.  Lewis' quote is from the article I posted, not from me.

Disappointing, Lewis.
It hadn't been my intention to mislead - Sorry for opening myself up for the impression.
I was just saying that I agree, have agreed since I first read details about the culprits, with what his lawyers are saying. Not that he "shouldn't" be executed from a moral personal pov, but that he is constitutionally ineligible for the death penalty. And that those who wanted him fried and pulled out all the stops to get it (all the way down from John Ashcroft) oughtn't to be. Getting an insane or innocent or retarded man to be killed by judicial process, for personal political gain, is murder in my book.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 03:45:17 PM »

Am I seriously the only one here who sees a possibility for rehabilitation?

We can turn this bastard into our own killing machine! Just lock him in a cold dark room and play this voice claiming to be Allah that commands him to kill whoever Rahm Emmanuel tells him too!

Okay enough sarcasm.
If we employ the use of an extremely well trained psychologist who somehow has the ability to mind control people we can turn this man into a social worker and he coudl plant trees and sh*t along the roads. Come on guys, this is America!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 03:48:02 PM »

Disappointing, Lewis.
It hadn't been my intention to mislead - Sorry for opening myself up for the impression.
I was just saying that I agree, have agreed since I first read details about the culprits, with what his lawyers are saying. Not that he "shouldn't" be executed from a moral personal pov, but that he is constitutionally ineligible for the death penalty. And that those who wanted him fried and pulled out all the stops to get it (all the way down from John Ashcroft) oughtn't to be. Getting an insane or innocent or retarded man to be killed by judicial process, for personal political gain, is murder in my book.

Fair enough...........I should have known you didn't mean to mislead.  Sorry my friend.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 03:55:24 PM »

Yes.  Found guilty of murder (singular, though he's actually responsible for multiple) under VA law. 

That's one of the things that annoy me about cases involving people who killed multiple persons, such as Tim Mcveigh. Mcveigh was executed for killing something like 10 persons in a federal trial and the other 60 or were state crimes. Muhammad killed multiple persons but is set to be executed for only one.

The death penalty is one thing that I've always been on the fence on. It is used too much, but people who kill multiple persons such as this, child killers, or people who commit other acts such as a rape with a murder deserve the death penalty. But in some ways I wonder if it really accomplishes much. Yes, it eliminates the lower form of human being, but once locked up in prison for life, do they still pose an additional threat to society?

Some killers look at getting executed as martyrdom. The greater punishment would be to deny them that honor and not execute them.

We can turn this bastard into our own killing machine! Just lock him in a cold dark room and play this voice claiming to be Allah that commands him to kill whoever Rahm Emmanuel tells him too!

Okay enough sarcasm.
If we employ the use of an extremely well trained psychologist who somehow has the ability to mind control people we can turn this man into a social worker and he coudl plant trees and sh*t along the roads. Come on guys, this is America!

Someone actually mentioned to me we should send these types of people into military combat and tell them they can kill all the people they want.
Stampever
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 04:05:18 PM »

Okay enough sarcasm.

Two possible outcomes:  The guy kills a lot of bad guys and we cheer.  The guy turns his gun at us, we kill him, and we cheer.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »

Yes, it eliminates the lower form of human being

The idea that most people who commit crimes do so because of moral defects is pretty offensive.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 04:54:25 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 05:28:13 PM »

I don't think that your "garden-variety" murderer (yes, I realize that this term might be offensive, but you know what I mean)

Insert Fred West Joke Here!

why is nobody laughing Huh Sad
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 05:49:06 PM »

Yes.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 06:55:04 PM »

Yes, it eliminates the lower form of human being

The idea that most people who commit crimes do so because of moral defects is pretty offensive.

How else to you describe Muhammad's actions?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 07:04:58 PM »

Option 3
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2009, 08:35:20 PM »

No.  It's concerning that he has only received seven years of punishment for killing ten people.  Furthermore, it's also concerning that so many people support the death penalty because they believe that his punishment will somehow continue after he dies; i.e. that the phrase "burn in hell" is intended literallyRoll Eyes

Yeah, we're the same ilk who do hokus pokus things like offer Inks our prayers for his health......we're not of the congnoscenti like you and many others here.  Roll Eyes

Apples and oranges.  Telling somebody that you're praying for them at least lets them know that you care about them and that you hope for the best.  Even though they're essentially just powerless words, it still helps them feel better psychologically.

But forcing the death of somebody because of a belief that it's only the start of their punishment is to rob everybody else of the chance to punish them sufficiently, and essentially lets them off the hook.

This is a far better solution for a multiple murderer:

He should he held in small cell until the rest of his miserable life. That's much worse than injection.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 08:45:34 PM »

I think we should only execute retarded people.  It seems more humane than killing philosophers, poets, and intellectuals.  Like what would you feel worse doing, killing a parrot that could talk in English or killing a parrot that could only squawk annoyingly, I know which one I would choose.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 08:50:12 PM »

I think we should only execute retarded people.  It seems more humane than killing philosophers, poets, and intellectuals.  Like what would you feel worse doing, killing a parrot that could talk in English or killing a parrot that could only squawk annoyingly, I know which one I would choose.

I feel bad for laughing.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2009, 08:56:29 PM »

I feel bad for laughing.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2009, 08:42:21 AM »

Apples and oranges.  Telling somebody that you're praying for them at least lets them know that you care about them and that you hope for the best.  Even though they're essentially just powerless words, it still helps them feel better psychologically.

No Joe, you were making a poke at religion since I put "burn in hell" as an option....which is fine, but it's hardly apples and oranges when I call you on it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2009, 08:45:21 AM »

It is quite sad that the American sense of justice includes the state being allowed to murder its own citizens....no matter what they are accused and convicted of.

Not to mention I agree with Joe Republic, of course, that spending life behind bars is actually a much worse punishment for the convicted criminal.

(No offense GM Wink)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2009, 08:51:36 AM »

It is quite sad that the American sense of justice includes the state being allowed to murder its own citizens....no matter what they are accused and convicted of.

Not to mention I agree with Joe Republic, of course, that spending life behind bars is actually a much worse punishment for the convicted criminal.

(No offense GM Wink)

Never any taken on this subject with you or anyone, including Joe.....he just should have kept the religion jab on the proper board.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 08:57:28 AM »

(No offense GM Wink)

Killing isn't always murder, and it's the people who decree the death sentence (via the jury) not the state.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 09:00:33 AM »

(No offense GM Wink)

Killing isn't always murder, and it's the people who decree the death sentence (via the jury) not the state.

That's correct.  A judge cannot impose a death sentence in a jury trial if the jurors can't agree or agree on life in  prison.  The only time the "state" can do it is when a defendant wants the "state" to be the trier of fact.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »

Regardless, the state is responsible for allowing anything to be punished by death, and even if the verdict itself is reached by a jury, the prosecution represents the state, and the verdict is carried out by the state.

You can argue the state is only representative of the people....but it still is morally unacceptable to me.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2009, 09:35:59 AM »

No Joe, you were making a poke at religion since I put "burn in hell" as an option....which is fine, but it's hardly apples and oranges when I call you on it.

God forbid anyone makes pokes at religion. That might be individualistic, and we can't have that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies