"Liberal" support of the Civil War?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:40:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  "Liberal" support of the Civil War?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: "Liberal" support of the Civil War?  (Read 8862 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »

...which, of course, had plenty of deranged expansionist ideas.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 01:26:41 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2009, 01:30:28 PM by Ghyl Tarvoke (18 Brumaire 218) »

...which, of course, had plenty of deranged expansionist ideas.

Yes; of course this as well.

What would happen to the "Monroe Doctrine" in this? Remember that France's incursion into Mexico was in part due to the inability of the US to enforce its traditional foreign policy during the civil war. Would we be looking at a very different American continent as a whole? I don't know whether the confedracy could realistically hold Mexico - or at least the South and densely inhabited parts of it but given how easy it was for William Walker in Nicaragua intervention in Central America would be a certainty.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 06:44:52 PM »

Meh... Even if we lost the civil war (Fcuk the south, Union foerver!!), the United States still could've emerged as a great power.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »

Meh... Even if we lost the civil war (Fcuk the south, Union foerver!!), the United States still could've emerged as a great power.

No. The South is a drain.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 08:29:16 AM »

How?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 11:50:57 AM »

I am from the "not one inch" school when it comes to the whole secession idea.  Sometimes, liberals say -- "Let the nutjobs have Texahoma or Alaska or Mississipi or Idaho".  I disagree.  If the secessionists don't like the United States, let them be the ones to find another country.  Like the Puritans who left England.

As to the Confederacy, there seems to be this idea that the 10 (or 11) states of the CSA would have remained in union with each other.  And that some sort of Libertarian or Conservative paradise would exist. 

Check this out (from my personal collection)...

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 10:23:28 PM »

How?

I meant to say "Middle Power". I think we would have, if the South won, ended up much like Canada in terms of power globally.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2009, 02:15:07 PM »

The CSA probably would've been more like Brazil. It didn't have the money or industrial power to become even a fully developed first world country. Maybe a bit better off than Mexico, but not comparable to the north or Canada or anywhere in western Europe.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2009, 07:28:42 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2009, 07:35:43 AM by Ghyl Tarvoke (18 Brumaire 218) »

How?

I meant to say "Middle Power". I think we would have, if the South won, ended up much like Canada in terms of power globally.

Huh? Canada would not have ended up being the nation it is today without the United States.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No. As long as Cotton Profits kept rolling in then the CSA was a power and would probably be a 'modern' power too --> our definition of 'modern' is in part due to the victory of the Union, among other things, anyway trade with the Southern States was powering the industrial revolution in Britain after all. Already long before the war the southern states were far ahead of most (all?) non-Southern Cone Latin American States and even with slavery had nothing like the social problems the others had - hell a southern backed pirate conquered Nicaragua and held it for about a year. On other hand when the profits stopped... well there is always imperial expansion or industrialization using the capital already gained, take your pick.

Another factor would be the extent to which the USA would be weakened after the war, as that directly impigned on the nature of the CSA's military spending and international relations (obviously).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2009, 06:05:45 PM »

How?

Your wrong. Keep in mind that the Confederate Flag had thirteen stars in there flag, not eleven. Those extra two were for Kentucky and Missouri. If we had lost the war, then the South could have demanded them. There also wouldn't have been a West Virginia either cause the State of Virginia would have likely gotten it back. With the loss of the majority of the US Coal deposits to the Confederacy the chance of building the great Steel industry would have been reduced as Coal and would have been more expensive and less abundant. Thus steel would have been less abundant and more expensive. Finally the Railroads would have had to spend more to build track and fuel there trains(using primarily Coal). Lastly Railroads were the boom industry that created the large economic booms and the Railroads formed two different economic bubbles that crashed in 1873 and 1893. Without the railroad expansion you wouldn't have had the post war economic boom from 1865-1873 or the large Economic expansion that allowed the US to begin to ecplise Britain in the 1880's. The US would have been a poorer, less powerful, and unstable country.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies