Quinnipiac: Kasich and Strickland are tied
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:01:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Quinnipiac: Kasich and Strickland are tied
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quinnipiac: Kasich and Strickland are tied  (Read 2944 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:58:43 PM »

Strickland: 40%
Kasich: 40%
Undecided/Other: 20%

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1322.xml?ReleaseID=1394

I think this is shaping up to be an interesting race.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:05:04 PM »

As long as Quinnipiac (R) isn't secretly working for the Kasich campaign....

but anyway, aren't those numbers an improvement for Ted?

/exits the spin zone
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »

No those numbers aren't an improvement for Strickland.  The last Quinnipiac poll (9/15) was 46-36 in favor of Ted.

http://realclearpolitics.blogs.time.com/2009/11/11/oh-gov-poll-economy-weighs-down-strickland/

Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:37:22 PM »

I posted this in the 2010 section. Wink
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 01:40:04 PM »

No those numbers aren't an improvement for Strickland.  The last Quinnipiac poll (9/15) was 46-36 in favor of Ted.

http://realclearpolitics.blogs.time.com/2009/11/11/oh-gov-poll-economy-weighs-down-strickland/

fair enough.  I guess I was thinking of some of the other polls that have had Kasich ahead.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 01:51:57 PM »

fair enough.  I guess I was thinking of some of the other polls that have had Kasich ahead.

Only Rasmussen, I think.  Though I seem to remember PPP saying it was basically tied.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 02:00:54 PM »

a'ight, anyway, I think we can all agree that Kasich is looking more and more like a credible candidate.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 06:44:31 PM »

Assuming Kasich gets his fundraising in gear. At the end of the first half of the year, Strickland had about a 9-1 cash on hand advantage.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »

Wow, last I looked at this race (winter of last year admittedly), Strickland was thought to win easily IIRC.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 07:03:35 PM »

Wow, last I looked at this race (winter of last year admittedly), Strickland was thought to win easily IIRC.

Well, in the meantime he caught, like most governors, a severe case of recessionitis. 
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »

It really is amazing though how the winds have shifted though. In Q's first poll in February, Strickland was up by 30 points over Kasich. And now it is tied, without much shift in Kasich's name recognition.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 08:35:27 PM »

Yep, as long as Bush's recession holds out for another year, the Republicans might be able to score some wins.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 05:54:19 AM »

Yep, as long as Bush's recession holds out for another year, the Republicans might be able to score some wins.

Portman also seems to be a fairly talented candidate while Fisher seems to be a bit of an old fart.
If Portman wins in 2010, I would place him among the five most likely senators to be president someday.

And I dislike the guy and whatnot, but he's in the top 1% of well connected types and seems more polished than most first time state-wide campaigners.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 06:25:22 AM »

Portman also seems to be a fairly talented candidate while Fisher seems to be a bit of an old fart.
If Portman wins in 2010, I would place him among the five most likely senators to be president someday.

And I dislike the guy and whatnot, but he's in the top 1% of well connected types and seems more polished than most first time state-wide campaigners.

Yeah, I always wondered why the handiccapers like Cillizza thought that the Democrats had the advantage here. Probably they assumed that Portman's ties to Bush's administration would overwhelm his other advantages.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 01:31:15 AM »

OUCH!  WTF?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 07:02:47 AM »

...and the most likely senator to be the 2012 GOP VP nominee (IMHO).
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 08:17:50 AM »

Not if the nominee doesn't have foreign policy experience (which is likely at this point, considering the likely spread of candidates).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 05:19:12 PM »

Not if the nominee doesn't have foreign policy experience (which is likely at this point, considering the likely spread of candidates).

How do you define "foreign policy experience"?  Portman will have served in both houses of Congress and served as US trade rep.  Is that less "foreign policy experience" than any other senator who's likely to be considered for VP in 2012?  Are you expecting Romney to pick John McCain or Richard Lugar as his running mate?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 05:40:27 PM »

How do you define "foreign policy experience"?  Portman will have served in both houses of Congress and served as US trade rep.  Is that less "foreign policy experience" than any other senator who's likely to be considered for VP in 2012?  Are you expecting Romney to pick John McCain or Richard Lugar as his running mate?

He was trade representative for about a year, and when he was in the House he was on the Ways and Means and Budget committees. That's a pretty thin foreign policy resume.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 05:57:52 PM »

He was trade representative for about a year, and when he was in the House he was on the Ways and Means and Budget committees. That's a pretty thin foreign policy resume.

So what senator do you think is more likely to be the Republicans' 2012 VP nominee?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »

So what senator do you think is more likely to be the Republicans' 2012 VP nominee?

Thune or one of the generic conservatives on the Foreign Relations committee. Maybe DeMint if they're feeling saucy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies