Pat Buchanan to endorse Bush tomorrow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:01:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Pat Buchanan to endorse Bush tomorrow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Pat Buchanan to endorse Bush tomorrow  (Read 12506 times)
jacob_101

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2004, 10:33:20 PM »

good ol pat lol

Why does his endorsement matter?  Oh wait it doesn't.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2004, 10:34:30 PM »

I'll tell you the one reason why he's endorsing Bush.  It's Hillary Clinton.  His big fear and mine is that Kerry may appoint Hillary Clinton Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.  I would say, "God help us", but she might decide God can't be said in public.

Well, I don't think that would happen unless Rehnquist dies.  And Hillary realizes her hopes of a 2012 run are going to be fruitless.  Plus the Senate wouldn't approve (as long as it stays Republican).

And what's so wrong with annexing bits of Canada?  I mean, if Canada breaks up and various bits want to join, I don't see any problem with that...

Plus I think we need revenge for the War of 1812 Wink
Shira

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2004, 10:35:23 PM »

That's a straight-up lie. Buchanan is against imperialism. Hell, he wrote a book titled "A Republic, not an Empire" (very good by the way).

Buchanan is not crazy at all. Usually, people just make things up about him out of thin air, because the truth is that Buchanan is a smart, knowledgeable guy.

But he is full of hatred.
He is isolationist He wants the US out of the world.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2004, 10:39:06 PM »

Shira, would you say George Washington was full of hatred?
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »

Well dern it, I lost a lot of respect for old Pat, and I find it scary that he's endorsing Bush.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2004, 10:40:44 PM »

Well dern it, I lost a lot of respect for old Pat, and I find it scary that he's endorsing Bush.

Aren't you voting for Bush?
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2004, 10:42:33 PM »

Yes, but in recent years Pat has gone looney.  In my opinion, if his endorsement has any effect at all, I think it'd draw more votes away than bring in.
MN-Troy
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2004, 10:52:13 PM »

The day when Pat Buchanan left the Republican Party to join the Reform Party was a day the GOP never fully recovered from. Under the guiding leadership of Buchanan, the Reform party grew by leaps and bounds, and the adherence to the Reform grew so large that Buchanan had to start the American Conservative Party just to expand for the sheer number of people who were joining his party.

Not to be all facetious in light of this endorsement, Buchanan is a smart and perceptive pundit and politician,. But he has marginalized himself to a point that his supporters are segmented into the extreme far right, and I doubt that he could get them to vote for that liberal George W. Bush.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2004, 11:11:38 PM »

Can you not read?

He said that if Canada breaks up, we should promote stability amongst the remnants- including offering statehood.

He did not say "invade." He did not even say he WANTS that to happen.

It reveals the weakness of your argument when you have to lie about the other guy's.

I can read, but it seems you cannot, since I never used word "invade," only "annexation" and "annex."  You will note that those posts have not been modified.  You will also note that I indicated his column was much more aggressive.

I was not entirely clear, from his column if this annexation was voluntarily or, if it would be imposed in the case of a breakup.

AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2004, 11:12:57 PM »

Ah yes, your mystical "aggressive" column.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2004, 11:15:25 PM »

Yes, but in recent years Pat has gone looney.  In my opinion, if his endorsement has any effect at all, I think it'd draw more votes away than bring in.

One area where he will help is with that small group of conservatives that opposed the war and a few fiscal conservatives.  On the war, he was basically the conservative opposition.  He's good for a slight net gain, but very slight.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2004, 11:22:03 PM »

Ah yes, your mystical "aggressive" column.

If you wish to look through his columns, be my guest.  As I've indicated it was pre-1992.

You claimed that it was a "lie" that he ever said anything like that and wrote a book about it, yet the quote appears in his book, with page citation.  I just did that with a web search, without going to the library.

These are but some of the reasons Pat Buchannan has lost supporters.
Rococo4

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2004, 12:10:33 AM »

Net effect.........0
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2004, 12:28:52 AM »

Buchanan is a right leaning populist much like myself. I like him.
Rococo4

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2004, 12:35:03 AM »

Buchanan is a right leaning populist much like myself. I like him.

I like him as well.....but his endorsement wont mean anything
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2004, 12:43:23 AM »

Hopefully I can find a way to write up a spin on this and use it to print out some propaganda fliers to hand out...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2004, 12:47:21 AM »

Well, he's no Willie Horten.  :-)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2004, 12:49:49 AM »

Before you think of him as a good thing, remember that Pat Buchanan could very well be the man responsible for Clinton. Thanks for your speech Pat!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2004, 01:06:34 AM »

According to Drudge on his radio show. 
Welcome back home, Pat.

Does this really help Bush?? I think Bush already had most of Buchanan's votes locked up, and with swing voters, it would be more likely to hurt than help.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2004, 01:18:14 AM »

Okay that's it now that Pat will endorse Bush maybe I should start to reconsider who I'm voting for...

Really though, I don't like Buchanan and I hope he doesn't say anything stupid when he offcially endorses Bush.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2004, 01:25:27 AM »

Why would Buchanan endorse Bush? The president believes in a host of things that Pat utterly rejects, like democracy as a universal goal for humankind and an end to racism. Are candidates allowed to reject endorsements?

I don't see too much evidence that Bush supports democracy for everyone in the world. I hardly see him making a big push for democracy in Saudi Arabia, the Sudan, China, Pakistan, etc.

Bush does not support the concept of every country in the world becoming a democracy. That's why I don't like his foreign policy. He supports what is best for big business, plain and simple.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2004, 01:31:51 AM »

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm now ready to throw my full weight behind Bush over this endorsement.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2004, 01:55:29 AM »

Does anyone remember Perot endorsing Bush right before the 2000 election? That had even less impact than Buchanan's will probably.

JJ: Look, I READ "A Republic, not an Empire." It's very historical; someone probably intentionally took him out of context and posted it on the web. For instance, he talks about the US invasion of Canada during the War of 1812. He's not advocating anything, just discussing history.

But it's not my fault if you fall for cheap propaganda. You were still lying about his views.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2004, 02:03:24 AM »

I don't see any swing voter in this country considering Mr. Buchanan's endorsement when casting their vote.  Glad to have his vote, but it won't matter to anyone else.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2004, 02:22:30 AM »

Does anyone remember Perot endorsing Bush right before the 2000 election? That had even less impact than Buchanan's will probably.

JJ: Look, I READ "A Republic, not an Empire." It's very historical; someone probably intentionally took him out of context and posted it on the web. For instance, he talks about the US invasion of Canada during the War of 1812. He's not advocating anything, just discussing history.

But it's not my fault if you fall for cheap propaganda. You were still lying about his views.

Oh no I wasn't.  The quote is consistent with previous statements that I have read from Buchannan.  Now you have the quote, with the statement, "Canada has not been a security concern in this century."  That was not the case in the 19th Century, so he obviously is not speaking about the War of 1812, is he?

I have used the words "annexation" and "protectorate" which he used in his colume.  I have not used the word "invasion."  Perhaps you better reread his book since you did not seem to understand the passage.  

It would pretty hard to me to guess that this is in his book, unless I had heard his views on the subject previously.  This seems to have been a longstanding belief with him.

You can find some very interesting statements about (or "aboot") Canada from Buchannan by doing a websearch.  You might want to try that.  I kind of get the fealing that he wouldn't have gotten the satire in the Southpark movie.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies