Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 11:12:04 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
| | |-+  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
| | | |-+  Pat Buchanan to endorse Bush tomorrow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Pat Buchanan to endorse Bush tomorrow  (Read 9334 times)
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2004, 02:22:30 am »
Ignore

Does anyone remember Perot endorsing Bush right before the 2000 election? That had even less impact than Buchanan's will probably.

JJ: Look, I READ "A Republic, not an Empire." It's very historical; someone probably intentionally took him out of context and posted it on the web. For instance, he talks about the US invasion of Canada during the War of 1812. He's not advocating anything, just discussing history.

But it's not my fault if you fall for cheap propaganda. You were still lying about his views.

Oh no I wasn't.  The quote is consistent with previous statements that I have read from Buchannan.  Now you have the quote, with the statement, "Canada has not been a security concern in this century."  That was not the case in the 19th Century, so he obviously is not speaking about the War of 1812, is he?

I have used the words "annexation" and "protectorate" which he used in his colume.  I have not used the word "invasion."  Perhaps you better reread his book since you did not seem to understand the passage.  

It would pretty hard to me to guess that this is in his book, unless I had heard his views on the subject previously.  This seems to have been a longstanding belief with him.

You can find some very interesting statements about (or "aboot") Canada from Buchannan by doing a websearch.  You might want to try that.  I kind of get the fealing that he wouldn't have gotten the satire in the Southpark movie.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2004, 03:07:06 am »
Ignore

What? Mr. Isolationist endorsing Bush?

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2004, 07:08:08 am »
Ignore

Well Bush's welcome to 'im!

Dave

Moderate Liberal Populist Smiley [Personal 45%/Economic 42%] / Defense 'Hawk'

Registered in Georgia for Fantasy Politics
phillies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2004, 07:40:04 am »
Ignore

Has anyone actually seen this endorsement?

JNB

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2004, 08:09:15 am »
Ignore

Why would Buchanan endorse Bush? The president believes in a host of things that Pat utterly rejects, like democracy as a universal goal for humankind and an end to racism. Are candidates allowed to reject endorsements?

Ah yes democracy, an instituion t hat gave the world Hitler, Allende in Chile,  Chavez in Ven. and almost turned Spain communist in the 30s, not to mention it almost turned Algeria over to Islamic radicals in the eraly 90s.

As I told you many months ago M, democracy does not allways work out, not all societies are equipped to handle democracy.

Economic Left/Right: -1.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.23
DFLofMN

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2004, 10:50:20 am »
Ignore

Wow, now I guess this seals up the toothless, bow legged slack-jaw vote for Bush.  I was getting worried for him with this demographic!  There goes Peroutka's last chance to be known as a spolier in '04.  Without this endorsement his political career is over!

DFL of MN
dougrhess

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2004, 10:58:37 am »
Ignore

I wonder if Pat really will do it. He HATES the first Bush; feels they let down the Reagan Revolution.

Here's a good joke: "Why wasn't Pat Buchanan's campaign announcement speech shown with close-captioning on CSpan?"  "They didn't have the font with umlauts."  ;-)
RN
Nixon

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2004, 12:00:15 pm »
Ignore

The article is up, link is on Drudge now.  Pat comes home indeed. 
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2004, 12:44:24 pm »
Ignore

That's a straight-up lie. Buchanan is against imperialism. Hell, he wrote a book titled "A Republic, not an Empire" (very good by the way).

Buchanan is not crazy at all. Usually, people just make things up about him out of thin air, because the truth is that Buchanan is a smart, knowledgeable guy.

But he is full of hatred.
He is isolationist He wants the US out of the world.

The hatred he peddles isn't much different from the hatred Bush peddles.  I suppose if you've got a pair of intolerants, the one that's an isolationist is preferable because he only ruins one country.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

acsenray

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2004, 04:36:17 pm »
Ignore

It's not exactly a ringing endorsement. Basically, Buchanan hates liberals, Democrats, and Kerry so much that he doesn't see any option. Plus, he's afraid that if Kerry's elected then the Republicans will successfully blame the Iraq blunder on the Democrats instead of on the neo-conservatives:

Iraq is the worst strategic blunder in our lifetime. And for it, George W. Bush, his War Cabinet, and the neoconservatives who plotted and planned this war for a decade bear full responsibility. Should Bush lose on Nov. 2, it will be because he heeded their siren song—that the world was pining for American Empire; that “Big Government Conservatism” is a political philosophy, not an opportunistic sellout of principle; that free-trade globalism is the path to prosperity, not the serial killer of U.S. manufacturing; that amnesty for illegal aliens is compassionate conservatism, not an abdication of constitutional duty.

Mr. Bush was led up the garden path.

If Kerry wins, leading a party that detests this war, he will be forced to execute an early withdrawal. Should that bring about a debacle, neocons will indict Democrats for losing Iraq. The cakewalk crowd cannot be permitted to get out from under this disaster that easily. They steered Bush into this war and should be made to see it through to the end and to preside over the withdrawal or retreat. Only thus can they be held accountable. Only thus can this neo-Jacobin ideology be discredited in America’s eyes. It is essential for the country and our cause that it be repudiated by the Republican Party formally and finally. The neocons must clean up the mess they have made, themselves, in full public view.

Support the S.A.P.C.C.! - Switch the Atlas Party Colours Coalition - Jive with the contemporary cultural lexicon of D=Blue and R=Red
phillies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2004, 07:06:05 pm »
Ignore

Has anyone actually seen this endorsement?

His magazine ran a series of columns, urging votes for Bush, Kerry, Nader, Badnarik, and Peroutka.

The columns were all well-written.

frenger
Bono
YaBB God
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 8.65, S: -4.17

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2004, 02:34:58 pm »
Ignore

Actually, Pat«s move is strategic and very smart. If Bush wins, Iraq will fall appart under neo-con watch, thus discrediting the movement forever, and allowing true conservatives to take the party away from them. Kudos for Pat.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." – H.L. Mencken

NO, I don't want to go back to Fantasy Elections.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2004, 09:08:24 am »
Ignore

According to Drudge on his radio show. 
Welcome back home, Pat.

The Republican Party is very welcome to him!

Dave

Moderate Liberal Populist Smiley [Personal 45%/Economic 42%] / Defense 'Hawk'

Registered in Georgia for Fantasy Politics
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout